1996 Ignition Key - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 3 Old 06-23-2013, 7:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

1996 Ignition Key

Hey guys just a quick question, I have a 96 900rr and the gas tank and ignition key are different and I was wondering if a 94 ignition and tank lock would swap in? I also thought about re keying the gas tank lock and trunk would this be a better option or should I just swap it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 Old 06-23-2013, 8:45 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Re: 1996 Ignition Key

Answered my own question by taking the gas tank lock apart.

If anyone else has this problem all you need to do is the following.

1. Take the three screws out that are behind the rubber seal on the under side of the cap and then pull it off.
2. Remove the lock mechanism making sure not to drop any of the tumblers out in the process and then stick your new key(ignition key in my case) into the lock and see which tumblers stick out.
3. The ones that stick out are the ones you need to file down until they do not stick out anymore.
4. Put the lock back in the lower portion of the cap and test it. If it works put it back together and your done! If not just file a little more off and try it again!

Hope this helps someone else out with the same situation!

Also if a moderator could change the title to something more appropriate since I figured out how to do it that would be great!
post #3 of 3 Old 06-24-2013, 12:24 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 1996 Ignition Key

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbiker76 View Post
Answered my own question by taking the gas tank lock apart.

If anyone else has this problem all you need to do is the following.

1. Take the three screws out that are behind the rubber seal on the under side of the cap and then pull it off.
2. Remove the lock mechanism making sure not to drop any of the tumblers out in the process and then stick your new key(ignition key in my case) into the lock and see which tumblers stick out.
3. The ones that stick out are the ones you need to file down until they do not stick out anymore.
4. Put the lock back in the lower portion of the cap and test it. If it works put it back together and your done! If not just file a little more off and try it again!

Hope this helps someone else out with the same situation!

Also if a moderator could change the title to something more appropriate since I figured out how to do it that would be great!

Remember to swap any tumblers that are long with any that are short before you file them all off.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page