08 1000RR won't start - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 06-24-2013, 1:16 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

08 1000RR won't start

I went to start it today, and it started up and ran as usual. I turned around to put my helmet on, and it died as if someone hit the kill switch. I went back over and it wouldn't start for a few tries, then started. I let it run for a few minutes, and blipped the throttle a few times, and no problem. I decided to try to ride it around the complex. I got it in the driveway, and it happened again. Now, it won't start at all. I notice the pump isn't priming when the key is on.II pull the relay, and hot wire the pump. Is starts running. I checked the relay, it closed as it needed to when power was applied to the coil. Pop it back in, and no power at the pump. There is 12v waiting at the relay for the coil to energize, and also 12v at the coil. I am assuming the coil has constant 24v and a switched ground from the ecm. Any ideas on this? I have played with it and drove myself crazy looking at the wiring diagram.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 06-24-2013, 6:17 PM Thread Starter

Re: 08 1000RR won't start

Stumped everyone? Well, i was ready to replace the ecu, and figured i would remove my PCV. No change. Removed The IRC, and it started right up. Assuming the IRC is the culprit. Now, do i dare to give it anotger shot? Or just let the ecu do It's job?
post #3 of 5 Old 06-25-2013, 5:08 AM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 182

Garage

Hi, I just looked at this thread today. I read the first post and figured you had something giving up under high temperature, and rather randomly failing. Very lost as to what it could be, hoping maybe you had access to a shop manual that gave you a trouble shooting tree to follow.

THEN,,,, I read your second post. An IRC? Is that from DynoJet, you know the Power Commander accessory? I got one of those on my bike.

You'll never guess........ Don't put that thing back in the loom. Get another one if you need/want it. They do have a tendency to fail and in very weird ways. After my first IRC failed and I was left stranded to where I owe some friends a beer for helping, I called DynoJet and they sent me a new one. I zip tied that one to the fuel rail where it is further away from the engine and maybe not so much heat. I haven't had any problems since then. However, my motorcycle doesn't get much ridding right now. So, I don't think I'm the one to ask about longevity.

If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything. The proverbial "trick", is not to follow anyone elses idea of reality. Be an individual. The future belongs to those who prepare for it.

Last edited by sidmarklong; 06-25-2013 at 10:27 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 11:35 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, the IRC from Dynojet. I put everything back to factory, and have had no problems. They have changed the design of them since i got mine. Probably due to failure. Ill call them monday and see if they are that nice to me. If so, I will probably put everything back on.
post #5 of 5 Old 06-29-2013, 8:36 PM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 182

Garage

Okay then, expect to send your particular IRC back to them. I don't think you will have to pay for anything more than shipping. I do know that I was comfortable with how it was handled. I wasn't told that they were aware of a defect at that time. However, the transaction went as it did for them to check they're product for what failure did occur. Then I was sent a new one and I installed it with no problem.
My bike is set up with a PC III USB, Ignition module, and a Dyno tune. I was able to run my bike without the IRC and still have the other components installed.
The IRC was installed after the Dyno tune. I had run it on a hot day parked it at my favorite restaurant, went in to eat, came out and started up, got going down the street and the bike shut down. I couldn't figure out what happened. So, I got some friends with a pickup to go to my house get my ramp and some straps and come pick me up.
I had just installed the IRC before this ride. That was the first thing I tried. Took it out of the loom. The bike started up and ran fine. I called DynoJet and told them my crying story and they said they would help. Hopefully you will get the same treatment. Please be patient, they do want your business and likely will help in this way.
By the way, if you have a similar set up, the IRC is a monitor and info device that allows the PC III the ability to refine its control of ignition advance and fuel regulation. It doesn't have to be there for the other DynoJet components to work. It is only a slight difference in power when working properly with the IRC installed.
I am happy to find out your bike runs good after this event. When, and if you get a new IRC, it would be nice know how that turned out for you.
What other components do you have with the IRC? Is that the only piece you have form DynoJet?

If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything. The proverbial "trick", is not to follow anyone elses idea of reality. Be an individual. The future belongs to those who prepare for it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page