SC28 Knocking - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
FNG

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

SC28 Knocking

Hi guys

i could use some advice, i changed the oil and filter on my 95 CBR900RR and i can hear a slight knocking coming from near or around the cylinder head/valve cover when shes idling from cold, i havent had the chance to take her for a run as i'm prepping her for an MOT so i don't know if this disappears as she warms up.

i'm going to drain, flush and replenish the coolant just in case shes overheating but am wondering if this noise is "normal"? i've heard early blades can be noisy what noise is normal? the knocking itself isn't seriously loud but i can notice it (but now i know it's there i can hear it instantly), not sure exactly where it comes from (L or R side) but i can hear it clearer on the left side when i remove the fairing, the exhaust makes it hard to hear on the right.......

so could you guys give me some experienced advice before i waste any money prepping her further......

FNG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 11:17 AM

Reputation Power: 34

Re: SC28 Knocking

On the left side (if it is) a knocking noise could indicate a failing starter clutch. Not usually going to take anything with it if it does die, these tend to fail off rather than locking up, so if it does give then you're just looking at push starting til you replace it.

Otherwise knocking noises are often just the clutch basket rattling around and nothing to worry about.
post #3 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
FNG

ah but it doesn't go when i pull the clutch lever in? but i'll take the clutch apart and have a look see anyway, only bought the bike last month, costing a few quid already, needs brakes, needs chain and sprockets, needed oil n filter, need coolant flushed, has a Yoshi race can (semi baffled not full race so might need carbs balanced) its had 11 owners since 95 and only done 20k miles, i figure its been a summer toy all its life and each owner passed it on before having to do any work, so i'm doing everything i think she needs

FNG
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 11:31 AM

As far as brakes go you're best off getting later calipers and matching master from a 929/954 or 600rr3-4.

Pulling the clutch would quiet the clutch but the starter clutch can only be made quiet by replacing or I've seen on other models where people have tighten the rivets which come loose. To mention it though a starter clutch tends to be desecibed norepinephrine as a rattle than a knock.

Could it just be misfiring due to the exhaust? Try to pick up an original can for the mot and to be able to better hear what's going on.
post #5 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 11:41 AM

Front calipers which will fit, eBay 161051651104 or 400509345311
Better quality calipers that don't corrode and are more powerful (needs matching master cylinder or for example master off a 98-99 blade.
post #6 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 11:42 AM Thread Starter
FNG

someone suggested buying one of these additives that you add to fuel to help clean out the carbs and dissolve carbon build up as he thought that it was detonation or piston slap, and then have the carbs set up proper, i'm just hoping its nothing serious as i'm a relative noob and don't have the cash to have a tech take a look and fix.........

one thing i have also found is that she pops/backfires if i give her a good rev to say 8k (a quick twist not a prolonged action) she climbs the revs fine but pops as they drop back to idle.........

FNG
post #7 of 10 Old 06-24-2013, 11:56 AM

Maybe an air leak in the exhaust, or maybe just they all do that on an open exhaust.

Fuel additives can help keep carbs clean, maybe. But they don't get carbs clean from dirty.
post #8 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 11:44 AM Thread Starter
FNG

well after letting her warm up (and stopping myself from freaking) i got the old Stethoscope screwdriver out and sat listening intently to the right side of the engine, the noise is definitely on the right (as opposed to my first belief that it was centered around the left side) it's not a knock as i first thought, more of a TTTTRRRRRRRRR and seems to be most audible in or around the cams, so i'm thinking its chain or valve related......what say you? could be tensioner as the bikes done 20k, could be camchain, could be valves needing done......................

FNG
post #9 of 10 Old 06-27-2013, 2:10 PM

could also be normal, or just the CCT.
Any chance it is just a leaky exhaust gasket?
post #10 of 10 Old 06-28-2013, 9:24 AM Thread Starter
FNG

sweet, that's what i was thinking, going to order a manual tensioner and replace the stock unit, also just picked up some nice new iridium plugs as the old stockers were a bit past it, updates later, than dude

FNG

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page