CBR-58 - Project Simoncelli FireBlade - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 06-24-2013, 2:31 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR-58 - Project Simoncelli FireBlade

Hi folks,

I have to admit that it's been a while since I last posted on the .org (a good 2 years or so). Anyway, I've been away messing about with 4 wheeled JDM machines and lost sight of what to do with the bike - In the last 2 years, it's only managed to turn 3000 miles, which is horrific considering that it used to do 3x that mileage in a year!

But the story started off with some ratty fairings which I tried to plasti-dip in white. Things started going sour, so I decided on getting some chinese replica fairings instead.

Of course, being a Cat C write-off when I bought her, it meant that selling such a tatty bike with high miles will probably only get me 1400 for a 929 Blade (realistically).

This was how she ought to look like

However, after a premature foray into plastidip (I spent 100 worth of that stuff only for it to come out horrendously crap) for which I had to remove all the stickers and decals, she looked bare

So seeing that if I were to do a half-arsed job, I might as well do a PROPER half-arsed job.

So the intention was to do a tribute to the late and great Super Sic. If I hardly ever use the bike, it might as well sit pretty in the garage when I'm spannering away on my bicycles other things, especially when I dubbed this up first thing once I moved in.

So, I have a 44k miler blade with shoddy electrics, battered and bruised body work and a dented tank! What next.

Sent a quick email to neverland-gbp on ebay to see if I can modify the fairings slightly

Who needs photoshop when paint is all you need! Considering I've always been a gresini fan-boy (Gibernau, Elias, Melandri et al), I much preferred the 08-09 scheme from the 800's. I felt the true simoncelli fairings a bit too bland, so it's going to be a hybrid.

Next step was to sort out my red tank with a dent in it. A bit of bodyfiller and primer (sorry for no before shots), I was set

You can just about see the repair on the crown of the tank at the 8 o clock position from the fuel cap. Considering that I'm renown for my bodges and shoddy handywork, I just wanted a white tank no questions asked.

After 2 coats of primer, time to lay down the base coat of Plastikote gloss white. I'm not expecting a colour match with the fairings, but quite happy that it turned out a cooler shade of white than I was expecting. It means that I don't have to go out and spend 15 quid on a barely matching paint mix.

1200 grit and 3 coats later

Now lacquered with decals applied

Things went downhill when i realised that the petrol resistant lacquer from halfords was anything BUT! I had to sand to remove the lacquer (although I found in the end, it was lot quicker to use a petrol soaked rag to remove the actual laquer... and start again)

In the process, I painted the tank infills, fitted a quick release fuel cap and finished off with stomp grips.

Whilst I was waiting for the fairings to be delivered the next day, I decide to strip the bike and clean it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-24-2013, 2:32 PM Thread Starter

Re: CBR-58 - Project Simoncelli FireBlade

So, a picture tells a thousand words and all that!

Manged to fit it onto the back seat of the celica

Going over the items piece by piece. Bear in mind that these fairings, for 300 fitted my 30 foot minter, 3 minter minger philosophy. As such, because my expectations were lowered, I wasn't dismayed or surprised by their quality.

The decals are applied on as a scaled vinyl presumably, i.e. not even cut out, and then lacquered over.

Examples

Trial fitment

I used a soldering iron to enlarge the holes and fit in the new rubber rawl plugs. I had to purchase a new set of fasteners on ebay, and so glad I did!

My biggest gripe was the fact that the captive lug nuts moulded into the fairings were the wrong diameter for the existing brackets. Morever, a load of my brackets had siezed. A bit of improvisation with some metallic flexible cable stays (sorry no pics) and I was able to fashion myself a new rear light stay.

Slowly trial fitting onto the bike and fastening. Then I thought, sod it, the sun's still out!

Am I fussed about colour mismatch? :roll: Err, No!

So, 30 foot minter, 3 minter minger... DONE! 300? Well, It was either this or getting some lowering springs on the celica! Any Simoncelli fan would have picked the former! :up:
post #3 of 4 Old 06-24-2013, 2:34 PM Thread Starter

Some more whoring shots from today :

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-24-2013, 3:23 PM

Reputation Power: 8

thats a bike Simoncelli himself would be proud of nice work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
chinese fairings , fireblade , san carlo , simoncelli

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page