Another 954rr first bike question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 06-25-2013, 11:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Another 954rr first bike question

I work a week on and a week off, so i have plenty of time to talk to the bike(respect) and ride it. I need a new hobby, my short term goal is to be a weekend cruiser and be able when i choose to commute to work (is 2 miles on the same street). Long term goals is to be able to go from city to city riding. Im already committed to buying the honda 954 or 929 waiting on my loan that i was approved for. My question is when I ask guys in the neighborhood i get these answers to my question of buying a larger bike. I tell them im getting a 600cc bike and they look at me and say Im too big. Im 6 foot 1 inch 300 pounds, go to the gym everyday type. They told me to get a 1200 or 1300 and i like NO WAY, i have common sense. They say at the price range im looking, if i get a 600 when i learn it i will upgrade anyway. This isnt a should a liter bike be a first bike question more like tips that im not seeing so I can be addition to the community and not column in the newspaper.

1. Take a safety course
2. find a riding buddy
3.always even in parking lot wear gear cause i will fall
4.after i get bike rolling put it in 2nd gear, since apparently throttle control is a issue
5.know my limits respect the bike

If i buy the bike first week of July i already set a date that im committed to 2 months of early morning 6am riding to learn the bike before i even commute to work. Is that a logical time frame? I can't be my neighbor buy a bike on a friday, sunday be riding 20 miles on the highway. For the people who jumped on a large liter bike how long did it take to develop muscle memory of shifting and throttle control? Anything to add to my list?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 06-25-2013, 12:43 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Re: Another 954rr first bike question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogunjobi View Post
I work a week on and a week off, so i have plenty of time to talk to the bike(respect) and ride it. I need a new hobby, my short term goal is to be a weekend cruiser and be able when i choose to commute to work (is 2 miles on the same street). Long term goals is to be able to go from city to city riding. Im already committed to buying the honda 954 or 929 waiting on my loan that i was approved for. My question is when I ask guys in the neighborhood i get these answers to my question of buying a larger bike. I tell them im getting a 600cc bike and they look at me and say Im too big. Im 6 foot 1 inch 300 pounds, go to the gym everyday type. They told me to get a 1200 or 1300 and i like NO WAY, i have common sense. They say at the price range im looking, if i get a 600 when i learn it i will upgrade anyway. This isnt a should a liter bike be a first bike question more like tips that im not seeing so I can be addition to the community and not column in the newspaper.

1. Take a safety course
2. find a riding buddy
3.always even in parking lot wear gear cause i will fall
4.after i get bike rolling put it in 2nd gear, since apparently throttle control is a issue
5.know my limits respect the bike

If i buy the bike first week of July i already set a date that im committed to 2 months of early morning 6am riding to learn the bike before i even commute to work. Is that a logical time frame? I can't be my neighbor buy a bike on a friday, sunday be riding 20 miles on the highway. For the people who jumped on a large liter bike how long did it take to develop muscle memory of shifting and throttle control? Anything to add to my list?
hummmm..... 954 0r 929 for your first bike that's a fast bike for your first bike!!!! even when I went from my old Suzuki intruder vs700 to my first 900rr, was a big jump!
your right about the size thou! my 929 is way bigger in size, then the cbr 600rr from the same year! the older 900rr's are bigger then newer bikes! I have a 929 with 954 stuff on it, I can feel the size diff going from one bike to the other 900rr feels better on long rides! I would say go for a little older bike even, if your that worried about size... my 94 has lower pegs, tank is bigger, bars are out and up more, making it feel a lot bigger!!!
the 929 and 954's feel good thou! better then all newer bikes I have been on....
be very careful!!!!!!!!!!! all that power is harder to turn well, you hit the brake or roll all the way off in a turn to fast, you go hi side!!! I have see it, it's not pretty!
Never thought about a sport touring bike, there bigger and still have the power needed! inc is cheaper too!!!! there like 80% sport 20% touring... here's a pretty one

Last edited by tweezy666; 06-25-2013 at 1:11 PM.
post #3 of 9 Old 06-25-2013, 2:06 PM

Reputation Power: 25

I'm 22 years old. The first bike I ever bought is my currently owned 08 cbr1000rr. I just know that it's as big and scary as I make it, or a docile little angel. As soon as you say you respect the bike and don't get wrapped up in the power, you'll be ok.

It's just like Star Wars lol go seeking high power with the intent to use it and your emotions will destroy you take it in stride and grow with it, no problems. I feel all of this goes without saying.

This force is strong with this one.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 06-25-2013, 2:31 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by eu4ic1000 View Post
I'm 22 years old. The first bike I ever bought is my currently owned 08 cbr1000rr. I just know that it's as big and scary as I make it, or a docile little angel. As soon as you say you respect the bike and don't get wrapped up in the power, you'll be ok.

It's just like Star Wars lol go seeking high power with the intent to use it and your emotions will destroy you take it in stride and grow with it, no problems. I feel all of this goes without saying.

This force is strong with this one.
I here those 08's, feel like 600 till you hit the gas! still not sure about it being your first ever bikes, is the greatest idea.... may have worked for you, but most would crash that thing, fast!!!
post #5 of 9 Old 06-25-2013, 3:05 PM

Reputation Power: 25

Yeah lol strongest mid range in it's class she's a wild woman with plenty of torque in any gear on the open road.
post #6 of 9 Old 06-26-2013, 12:16 AM

Reputation Power: 14

You are a heavier rider so that will take away how fast the 954rr is...but not much.

The other issue for this type of bike for a newer rider is how sensitive the front brake it. After all, it was designed to be on the track and have the brakes to accommodate that end.

If you insist on having this be your first bike you will need to respect the power and learn to use the front brake, along with getting used to the stopping power it will provide. I have seen new riders tuck the front wheel just from inexperience with how strong the front brake can grab.

Also, the midrange is very strong on this bike. Top gear roll on 60 to 80 mph with a stock 954rr running correctly has been recorded by Motorcyclist Magazine and Sport to be anywhere from 2.5 seconds to 2.9 seconds.

That is very quick and still right on with most modern liter bikes. What I am trying to say is even being in 6th gear can get you in trouble quickly.

Just respect the bike and you will be fine. For every rider that has used a liter bike as their first bike and come out fine you will find ten others that become a scary, if not deadly, cautionary tale.
post #7 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 12:32 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 0

Thanks for the replies. Im trying to research and be well informed/responsible as possible. Really at the time i doubt I be concerned with midrange power. I prob wont even ride this bike until i take the course over at harley davidson or the MSF course.
post #8 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 12:41 PM

Reputation Power: 7

Them courses will help you quite a bit for normal riding but still the 954 is a lot of power. To make things worse is it has a really short wheel base(shortest liter bike that ik of). So the front end comes up really easy especially if your a bigger guy. If you are dead set on a liter bike go for it but my advice is a 600 would be plenty to start off on and you can always sell it and buy a liter bike later. Good luck and stay safe either way you go!
post #9 of 9 Old 06-27-2013, 1:32 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14

Besides the other points. The suspension, especially the front forks, is soft on the 954 even for a 200 lb. rider. You will want to do some suspension adjustments and definitely stiffer front fork springs or the suspension will feel like ****.

"When you come to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on."
- Franklin D. Roosevelt
2002 954

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page