Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 Old 06-25-2013, 7:09 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-25-2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

Just bought a 03 954RR with 20,000 miles. Bike runs and rides fairly nice for something of its age. I was just looking for any advice on what I should inspect and check out on the model to give it every chance of living for another decade or so. Has a semi rough idle but from what I have read it jumping from 1100 to 1400 is normal. Also it has a buzz at 4000rpm no matter which gear. Buzz very noticeable in 2nd since there is very little wind noise.
AButler16 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 17 Old 06-25-2013, 8:19 PM
 
Join Date: 07-23-2011
Location: CA
Posts: 505
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18
               
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by AButler16 View Post
Just bought a 03 954RR with 20,000 miles. Bike runs and rides fairly nice for something of its age. I was just looking for any advice on what I should inspect and check out on the model to give it every chance of living for another decade or so. Has a semi rough idle but from what I have read it jumping from 1100 to 1400 is normal. Also it has a buzz at 4000rpm no matter which gear. Buzz very noticeable in 2nd since there is very little wind noise.
Decade? You'll put 25K on it this year, and have it sold next year.

Could that buzz be worn chain/sprockets?

If they are original sprockets and chain, might be time to replace them, or at least adjust them and lubricate them correctly.

Oil change is all you need for now.

Maybe full coverage insurance also
CBRER is offline  
post #3 of 17 Old 06-25-2013, 8:26 PM
 
Join Date: 12-18-2012
Location: portland
Age: 37
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24
                     
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

steering damper, pc3, hev mod, flapper mod, steel brake lines, good tires, race exhaust, maybe some race springs plus having you shocks rebuilt for you.... race school
P.S. the buzz is most likely the chain, like cbrer said!
tweezy666 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 17 Old 06-25-2013, 8:47 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-25-2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBRER View Post
Decade? You'll put 25K on it this year, and have it sold next year.

Could that buzz be worn chain/sprockets?

If they are original sprockets and chain, might be time to replace them, or at least adjust them and lubricate them correctly.

Oil change is all you need for now.

Maybe full coverage insurance also
It has new tires and a 520 kit with a couple weeks ride time. Ill download the service manual and check the chain
AButler16 is offline  
post #5 of 17 Old 06-25-2013, 8:52 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-25-2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy666 View Post
steering damper, pc3, hev mod, flapper mod, steel brake lines, good tires, race exhaust, maybe some race springs plus having you shocks rebuilt for you.... race school
P.S. the buzz is most likely the chain, like cbrer said!
It's has new Michelin pilots and a Jardine slip on stainless lines all around. Billet tech stator cover?????
AButler16 is offline  
post #6 of 17 Old 06-25-2013, 10:13 PM
 
Join Date: 12-18-2012
Location: portland
Age: 37
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24
                     
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by AButler16 View Post
It's has new Michelin pilots and a Jardine slip on stainless lines all around. Billet tech stator cover?????
then I would get a steering damper and pc3 first! that's all that's really worth getting you have a great bike!!!!!!

Last edited by tweezy666; 06-25-2013 at 10:20 PM.
tweezy666 is offline  
post #7 of 17 Old 06-25-2013, 10:25 PM
 
Join Date: 12-18-2012
Location: portland
Age: 37
Posts: 1,106
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24
                     
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

for some reason I thought you where looking for mods, for your bike to make it faster so many people ask that... so all you need to do is Maintence Maintence Maintence! lol Oil changes and oil level! brake maintenance, spark plugs, ect!
you don't need any of the stuff I said before!!!
but if you think you somethings not right, it riding wrong or sounds funny??? find out what it is, don't put it off!!!!
I see you live in Or :-) me too! if you ever what to ride let me know!!!!

Last edited by tweezy666; 06-25-2013 at 10:36 PM.
tweezy666 is offline  
post #8 of 17 Old 06-26-2013, 12:23 AM
 
Join Date: 10-03-2005
Location: Sandy Utah USA
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14
 
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

If the valves have not been inspected yet I would do so.

If you do not know if the coolant, plugs, oil and filter, air filter have been done I would change them. In fact you may as well do synch the throttle bodies while you are checking the valves.

I personally think you should clean the exhaust valve. If that things gets stuck you will run rich...don't ask me how I know..
squidzilla is offline  
post #9 of 17 Old 06-26-2013, 12:45 PM
 
Join Date: 06-09-2013
Location: Jersey
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7
 
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

The buzzing noise you are hearing could be the pair valve working but its a little more of a ticking noise.

03 Cbr954rr
07 Gsxr600
Defomx26 is offline  
post #10 of 17 Old 06-26-2013, 1:31 PM
 
Join Date: 04-23-2009
Location: Gahanna, Ohio
Age: 51
Posts: 1,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37
                     
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidzilla View Post
If the valves have not been inspected yet I would do so. If you do not know if the coolant, plugs, oil and filter, air filter have been done I would change them. In fact you may as well do synch the throttle bodies while you are checking the valves.
I personally think you should clean the exhaust valve. If that things gets stuck you will run rich...don't ask me how I know..
Synch the throttle bodies? I've never heard of that, I think that with fuel injection, synching is done by the ecu. Only need to synch carbs.
If you are planning on doing a fuel management system, I would go with the Bazzaz with the AFM. It's more customizable than the PCIII.
The rest is pretty good advice, especially if you don't know the service history.
Lobsta13 is offline  
post #11 of 17 Old 06-26-2013, 11:42 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-25-2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy666 View Post
for some reason I thought you where looking for mods, for your bike to make it faster so many people ask that... so all you need to do is Maintence Maintence Maintence! lol Oil changes and oil level! brake maintenance, spark plugs, ect!
you don't need any of the stuff I said before!!!
but if you think you somethings not right, it riding wrong or sounds funny??? find out what it is, don't put it off!!!!
I see you live in Or :-) me too! if you ever what to ride let me know!!!!
No my questions were towards both side maintenence and performance. I'm out in St. Helens so I might have to take you up on a ride. I don't really have anyone else to ride wit now
AButler16 is offline  
post #12 of 17 Old 06-26-2013, 11:44 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: 06-25-2013
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0
 
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidzilla View Post
If the valves have not been inspected yet I would do so.

If you do not know if the coolant, plugs, oil and filter, air filter have been done I would change them. In fact you may as well do synch the throttle bodies while you are checking the valves.

I personally think you should clean the exhaust valve. If that things gets stuck you will run rich...don't ask me how I know..
For the exhaust valve is there any special tools or supplies needed. Or is it pretty much open and knock the carbon off and check function
AButler16 is offline  
post #13 of 17 Old 06-27-2013, 11:29 AM
 
Join Date: 04-23-2009
Location: Gahanna, Ohio
Age: 51
Posts: 1,042
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37
                     
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

For the exhaust valve, I'm assuming he's talking about the HTEV. No special tools are required to get it off or clean it. 4 bolts, a couple cables and pull out the barrel. Clean it with something to remove the carbon. I used WD40.
Lobsta13 is offline  
post #14 of 17 Old 06-27-2013, 6:13 PM
 
Join Date: 10-03-2005
Location: Sandy Utah USA
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14
 
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsta13 View Post
Synch the throttle bodies? I've never heard of that, I think that with fuel injection, synching is done by the ecu. Only need to synch carbs.
If you are planning on doing a fuel management system, I would go with the Bazzaz with the AFM. It's more customizable than the PCIII.
The rest is pretty good advice, especially if you don't know the service history.
I own 8 motorcycles right now. All are EFI and all need the throttle bodies synched.

Here is how to do it for this bike or the 929rr.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/art...9rr-954rr.html

Last edited by squidzilla; 06-27-2013 at 6:14 PM. Reason: sdjasdjask
squidzilla is offline  
post #15 of 17 Old 06-27-2013, 6:18 PM
 
Join Date: 10-03-2005
Location: Sandy Utah USA
Posts: 52
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 14
 
Re: Just Bought a 03 954RR What Maintenence/Things to look for

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsta13 View Post
For the exhaust valve, I'm assuming he's talking about the HTEV. No special tools are required to get it off or clean it. 4 bolts, a couple cables and pull out the barrel. Clean it with something to remove the carbon. I used WD40.
yeah I was referring to the HTEV.. I spaced the name when I typed this...
squidzilla is offline  
Reply

  Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
just bought a 954rr greggdrews Honda FireBlade 13 02-28-2009 2:57 AM
Maintenence intervols hookedon2wheels Honda FireBlade 0 03-30-2007 10:45 PM
Bought a 954rr!! azncheeta08 Honda FireBlade 24 04-07-2006 2:46 AM
Just took home 954RR...first things first? Dookie Honda FireBlade 38 05-04-2004 3:44 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome