CBR900 RRX now fixed after not starting - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 06-29-2013, 6:44 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

CBR900 RRX now fixed after not starting

My 99 RRX was working fine last week and then 4 days after running it, it would not start. It turned over but would'nt 'catch'. now ive not ridden it more than 2000 miles since april 2009 - due to my job changing to just 3 miles up the road. I still go out and just start it up in the garden and run it for a few minutes a few times per week. sometimes i rev the shite out of it and flames come out the exhaust.

The plugs and air filter were last done in april 09. They were overdue time wise, but not milage wise. I read here loads and through my haynes manual and made a big list of things to check, but done the air filter and plugs first, and hey presto it works again...feel chuffed. the plugs were all dry carbon fouled.

would my running the bike static contribute to this? when I high rev it, should flames be coming out the aftermarket Akpovric exhaust?

now I just need to get the speedo working again, and the neutral light....that all started with blue fur corrision on the speedo side of the pcb board, which I replaced.

I pulled the speedo sensor whilst I had the tank off, but still need to retry the haynes test on the whole speedo cables route, before blaming the speedo sensor...do they fail much / can the sensor be tested

any suggestions greatly received. I suggest plugs is the first thing to change next time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-29-2013, 8:50 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Re: CBR900 RRX now fixed after not starting

Might suggest your bike is running lean?

Starting it like you're doing is worse for it than putting in proper storage and worse still tgan using it even if just say a quick run at the weekend.

Have you done a basic continuity test on the wires? The sensors don't fail much that I know of but a corroded circuit board might cause that somehow. I'd recheck my work in the pcb first.
post #3 of 6 Old 06-30-2013, 3:17 AM

Reputation Power: 36

After you put new plugs in did you ride it thru full use of rpms and check the plugs. Do you know how to read your plugs? There's info on how to understand how your bike is running lean or rich even signs of bad valve seals. Does your exhaust temp seem high? Pops bangs pings etc when 3/4+ throttle

Yea id stop with the running the piss outta it while sitting still running it like you describe. If anything every two weeks put ten twenty miles on it easy then use rpm band.

I haven't heard of the speedo sensor failing. But I have had my speedo go in and out not working once or twice. But straightened it out now.

Btw my 900rr burns clean and hair rich out top. And yes shoots flames. But a lot of it is just cause how short my pipe is see a lot of bikes at night emitting flames with nice full systems Not a big deal unless your talking flamethrowers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 06-30-2013, 3:36 AM

Reputation Power: 36

Removed tank
Disconnect the speed sensor 3p (black) connector
turn key on measure voltage at 3p connector wire harness side.

Connection : Black/Brown (+) - Green/Black (-)
Standard : Battery Voltage
If no voltage, replace or repair the wire harness.

Remove the combination meter.
Support the motorcycle using a hoist or other support to rise the rear wheel off the ground.
Turn the ignition ON.
Measure the voltage at the combination meter 20P connector wither the ignition switch ON while slowly turning the rear wheel by hand.
CONNECTION : Pink/Green (+) - Green/Black (-)
STANDARD: repeat 0-5V
if measurement is out of specification, inspect the open circuit in wire harness.

Have you visually inspected the speed sensor by pulling from engine and looking at it?
post #5 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 4:43 PM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 12

yes i pulled the speed sensor and it looked fine. the flames I only see are not flamethrower type and only when I'm off the bike revving it high the odd time. the 4yr old plugs were compared to the pics in the Haynes manual, and are dry carbon fouled. i'll read up on lean / rich mixtures. bike seems fine during normal riding, nothing ive noticed anyway.
I followed that procedure from the Haynes manual, I didn't get a fluctuating voltage, and wasn't sure that i span the wheel fast enough, so thought the test needs redone to be sure to isolate the issue. I note u say slowly turning the rear wheel, I was doing it as fast as i could by hand, which wasn't that fast really. just wonder if it needs span faster than i could manage to do? with the sensor disconnected i got the correct voltage at the harness. continuity for the whole length of wire i could not figure out, as the sensor end seems to have the wires moulded in,, not any points i could connect multimeter too? im wondering about the speedo, can a dealer test these?

the problem of speedo not working came to notice, and i saw blue fur corrosion on the pcb board, which i replaced. the speedo is on securly and i was careful to get it on properly. i;ll redo the tests to double check. thanks for the answers.
post #6 of 6 Old 07-01-2013, 7:59 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

I can't answer your speedo questions, but I have a recommendation about your storage procedures. If you plan on keeping the machine, you need to get some mileage on it weekly, or drain it fully. I would highly recommend starting it, letting it run a few minutes before going for a 15-20 miles ride weekly.

As far as the flames from the exhaust- This may indicate that you are running a bit rich, but I Have seen a lot of bikes that do this just from being tuned to run low-mid rpms. They tend to run rich up top but perfect in their normal range.
Does it happen with steady throttle? Of course if you nail the gas and let off it will shoot flames as the excess fuel goes through the engine into the exhaust. New bikes combat this with a PAIR valve that injects air into the headers/manifold in order to burn the fuel earlier in the exhaust. If you have a way to do it, check your fuel/air ratio. This can normally be performed with a meter that reads your exhaust gases to determine the ratio. Fairly easy process, but expensive part to obtain. Hopefully you can find someone that has one you can use and just toss them a few bucks for helping you out.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
not firing , not starting , plugs , rrx

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page