95 rrs running problems - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 33 Old 07-01-2013, 1:52 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

95 rrs running problems

Hi all,
I'm having running problems with my 95 blade, when I start it from cold it runs on 3 cylinders and sounds really rough but when its warmed up it runs great and if left for an hour or 2 and re started all is well but left over night and re started same problem and if I ride it from cold its missing and banging all over the place, I've changed the plugs and same problem and I've read the fault finding section in the manual and the list of possibilities is endless so just want to know if anyone has had the same problem before I start looking, any sugestions would be much appreciated

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 33 Old 07-01-2013, 2:01 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Re: 95 rrs running problems

Blocked or partially blocked slow jet. Possibly by build up of corrosion after a lay up, possibly due to a split gauze filter in the tank. Easy to clean the jets up, while you have the tank off check the gauze filter too or you'll do like me and clean the cars 3 times before figuring that out. Still, I'm quick at cleaning carbs now.

If the filter is failed and you baulked at the cost of a new one you can fit an inline filter, just about goes in. If you do this don't forget the clips!

post #3 of 33 Old 07-01-2013, 2:44 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
Thanks for your reply, if its a carburetor problem would it not run rough all time? It runs fine when its warmed up
Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 33 Old 07-01-2013, 3:13 PM

Not necessarily. When cold it's lean and needs more fuel. When warm it needs less fuel (you put the choke off) so I'm thinking partially blocked jet rather than fully blocked. Sure it could be electrical but the carbs are relatively easier to fix and you can see whether you've done any good at a glance.
post #5 of 33 Old 07-02-2013, 1:41 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
I just tried it again from cold and it started on 2 cylinders then started popping and banging between 2 and 3 then warmed up and ran fine on all 4 so I'm convinced its electrical but not sure where to start is there any common electrical faults with the 95 blade that would show these symptoms?
Cheers
post #6 of 33 Old 07-02-2013, 2:03 PM

Reputation Power: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy61 View Post
Hi,
I just tried it again from cold and it started on 2 cylinders then started popping and banging between 2 and 3 then warmed up and ran fine on all 4 so I'm convinced its electrical but not sure where to start is there any common electrical faults with the 95 blade that would show these symptoms?
Cheers
check your coils, then maybe check an make sure valves are in spec

Last edited by chris954rr; 07-02-2013 at 2:09 PM.
post #7 of 33 Old 07-02-2013, 3:06 PM

Check your battery voltage (charging system) while you have the meter out.
post #8 of 33 Old 07-03-2013, 2:16 PM Thread Starter

Hi again,
I have just checked all the electrics with a meter and all seems well so tried to start it again and checked which cylinders it was firing on by touching the manifolds, it was running on 1,2,3 but not 4 so I removed and checked the no.4 plug and sparking fine so replaced it then it ran on 3 and 4 only then then 2 kicked in as it was warming up then 1 then it ran fine so does that help anyone with identifying my problem any suggestions would be very much appreciated
Cheers
post #9 of 33 Old 07-04-2013, 8:17 PM

Reputation Power: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboy61 View Post
Hi again,
I have just checked all the electrics with a meter and all seems well so tried to start it again and checked which cylinders it was firing on by touching the manifolds, it was running on 1,2,3 but not 4 so I removed and checked the no.4 plug and sparking fine so replaced it then it ran on 3 and 4 only then then 2 kicked in as it was warming up then 1 then it ran fine so does that help anyone with identifying my problem any suggestions would be very much appreciated
Cheers
coils are in the right firing order?
post #10 of 33 Old 07-05-2013, 2:17 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
I'm almost convinced its the valve shims because it runs on 1 or 2 when cold but when warm it runs fine so I think the valves are opening just a fraction more when warm what do you all think ?
Cheers
post #11 of 33 Old 07-07-2013, 4:01 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Does it only run rough when you have he choke engaged? And when the choke is off and warm it runs fine? Maybe something is sticking or blocked in the air cut off passage. These have a tendency to stick and make the choke not work properly. IMO the choke actuation/cable set up on the early 900's is garbage. The ACV's are actuated by the choke cable. Kind of in line with what Amorti is saying about a clogged jet. Keep feeding us info.
post #12 of 33 Old 07-07-2013, 6:32 AM Thread Starter

Hi,
The choke makes no difference at all it starts fine without it I've never needed choke even in the cold weather. When I start it from cold it won't ever start on all 4 sometimes 3, 2 or even 1 cylinder but as it warms up the other cylinders start to fire so could I be right in thinking that as it gets warm the valves are opening just that little bit more? I'm really getting pi##ed off with it now,
Cheers
post #13 of 33 Old 07-07-2013, 6:41 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Ok, that would then sound more electrical or possibly a cylinder problem. Do you have means of doing a compression check and a valve inspection? The valve clearance inspection would definitely tell you if there was a discrepancy, but most of the time the clearance isn't bad enough to make it run poorly. How many miles are on the clock? Also, it could be a bad coil. When the coil gets warm/hot it may work properly, however when cold it may not fire right. Try to find 2 known good coils and swap them out. Also, make sure the small pin connectors from the wire harness are plugged in to the right spade connector on the coil. Wish I had more to offer. I would think that someone on the forum here would have some suggestions as well.
post #14 of 33 Old 07-08-2013, 12:26 PM Thread Starter

Hi,
When I start it from cold it runs on different cylinders all the time, sometimes it starts on 1 and 4 sometimes on 3 and 2 and sometimes on 1 cylinder and sometimes on 3 cylinders there is no pattern to it and the problem is on all 4 cylinders so I doubt both coils are playing up I'm really puzzled and a mechanic at my local bike dealers reckons its the valve shims which I've never done its got 40,000 on the clock and it had 30,000 on it when I bought it so don't know if they have ever been done but I'm not convinced the valves are my problem,
Cheers
post #15 of 33 Old 07-08-2013, 1:13 PM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

It sounds electrical to me. I would start with the coils. Check the back where they ground to the frame and make sure nothing looks suspect. Swap them and see it the problem follows. I would also check your rectifier connections. This is a thorn in the side of all 80's-90's Hondas and if it's not bad it will be. The wires will melt through and ground to the frame and the connections in the plug will overheat and crossover also.

This is a great fix for this problem.
Rick's Motorsports Wiring Harness Connector Kit Fits Honda CBR900RR 1993 1999 | eBay

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page