I'm confused as usual - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-06-2013, 8:54 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

I'm confused as usual

I just saw a acceleration kit for a aluminum 520 with a 41 back and 15 front is this not almost stock or stock for a 2007 Cbr 1000 I figured a 14 and 42 or 43 would be considered the correct kit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 12:01 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: I'm confused as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwilmoth69 View Post
I just saw a acceleration kit for a aluminum 520 with a 41 back and 15 front is this not almost stock or stock for a 2007 Cbr 1000 I figured a 14 and 42 or 43 would be considered the correct kit

It is "almost stock" in as much as stock is 16/41, but dropping a tooth off the front is a good start.
Dropping two off the front would be more drastic and hard on the chain so it'd be more likely you'd drop one and go up three on the rear for the same result.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 12:50 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

That's very close to my stock sprockets. RC51 has 16/40.
I use 15/42.
Just changing the front to a 15 is like going about 3 teeth bigger on the back.
You'll notice a difference in quicker acceleration for sure, may make the front end very light! I don't know, just kidding.
Your speedometer will read about 5 - 10% faster than you're really going too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 2:12 AM

I know this is not the question but I would steer clear of the aluminum sprockets unless you want to change them in about 5,000 miles.
post #5 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 2:14 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by jqcbr954 View Post
I know this is not the question but I would steer clear of the aluminum sprockets unless you want to change them in about 5,000 miles.

Only if you buy poor quality ones.
Good ones last three or four times that.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 3:47 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 665 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Agreed. Afam makes good stuff, a good hard anodized aluminum sprocket will last a good while and they look sharp too.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 7:23 AM Thread Starter

Good deal thanks guys
post #8 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 7:50 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
It is "almost stock" in as much as stock is 16/41, but dropping a tooth off the front is a good start.
Dropping two off the front would be more drastic and hard on the chain so it'd be more likely you'd drop one and go up three on the rear for the same result.
When u say more drastic and hard on the chain I would never change sprockets without changing the chain bad experience from my mx days but are y saying on a used chain or even if I got a new one and I don't want to ride wheelies for miles I'just wanting smooth accel with still good top end I should stay stock or just move the front down one u think
post #9 of 12 Old 07-08-2013, 11:12 AM

Dropping 2 teeth on the front poses a problem because the gear is so small, the chain has to wrap around a smaller circumference, and the faster your rev, the harder it is for the chain to fold into that tight of a radius.
I think. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

I would drop 1 tooth in front, stay with the stock sprocket in back, and try that.
If you still want quicker acceleration, then go to a 42 or even a 43 on the back.

btw, I'm on my second aluminum AFAM 520/42 rear sprocket. I got about 20,000 miles out of my first one. Not bad for a liter bike.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-08-2013, 5:51 PM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 182

Garage

Okay, I can't not help myself, and no I'm not going to go get help for me on this matter. So, if it's not oblivoiusesses that I have bothered to read this here thread, then I must crawl back under my rock and go back to sleep..
This is a matter of ratio. A simple train of thought is to drop a tooth on the front sprocket and raise a tooth on the rear sprocket. Thats easy, but NOT exactly correct. Do it and you have increased your acceleration. Thats what you may want and you'll get it. Good move, yet you have gone outside the real intention, provided this acceleration is really all you want, and because the bike you're riding has copious amounts of power everywhere else. This will work, I repeat, this does work.
However, if you take the time to do the ratio calculation you'll find out why a rear sprocket with 41 teeth and a front sprocket with 15 teeth is considered and sold as a Acceleration package for a particular bike. Please check out this site for further information; Gearing Commander: Motorcycle Speed, RPM, Chain & Sprockets Calculator or look up a site that explains this process of determining final drive gear ratios.
I went through this years ago for a GSXR1100RR that I had and turned into a very fast pressure in the eye sockets, arm stretching, light speed achieving monster. Not to mention, setting my hair on fire kind of a ride, (and I did a few other things that would be considered sleeper tricks, like degreed the cams, smoothbore Mikuni's and jetting and header and avgas and fiberglass and velocity stacks, coils and flashed the ECU and took about 100 lbs off the bike and new paint, and I dieted and lost weight mainly because I spent my money on the bike rather than eat kind of thing, thats about it).
You have to deal with this in the form of determining a ratio, BECAUSE, this is not just about the amount of teeth, it is the size of two circles, (aka, sprockets).
Hope that helps. Have fun, and thanks for reading my insanity.

If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything. The proverbial "trick", is not to follow anyone elses idea of reality. Be an individual. The future belongs to those who prepare for it.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-08-2013, 10:34 PM

Hiya Sid

I tried to rep you for that last post. Since the Org wont let me, I'll getter done myself.
REP !!!

post #12 of 12 Old 07-09-2013, 4:24 PM
Supporting Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 182

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
Hiya Sid

I tried to rep you for that last post. Since the Org wont let me, I'll getter done myself.
REP !!!

Thanks, I appreciate that.

If you don't stand for something, then you'll fall for anything. The proverbial "trick", is not to follow anyone elses idea of reality. Be an individual. The future belongs to those who prepare for it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page