Camshafts installed backwards???? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-06-2013, 10:39 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Camshafts installed backwards????

Hey guys, been having some crazy power loss issues with the 2001 929 I purchased. Started thinking the timing was off and possibly jumped a tooth so while tearing her down to get to the camshafts, I ve made a discovery that differs from the manuals camshaft pic. At TDC my IN and EX marks aren't matching up to what the photo shows. I'll attach the photo from the manual so you guys can see what I'm talking about. The bike runs "pretty good" as is....just lumpy idle with considerable power loss. Does this make any logical sense? Could this explain why when I tried getting my bike dyno'd they told me it seemed like it was losing fuel pressure in the higher rpm range?

What the manual specifies....
[IMG][/IMG]

Currently set up....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-06-2013, 10:45 PM Thread Starter

Re: Camshafts installed backwards????

Just to add, on the current setup at TDC the lobe on the "left" camshaft (adjacent to the throttle bodies) is skewed a little more to the left and the lobe on the "right" camshaft (front side of the engine). is skewed a little more to the right. Meaning they're almost longitudinal. I don't have photoshop so i couldn't manipulate the image exact.
post #3 of 12 Old 07-06-2013, 11:56 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92neezy View Post
Just to add, on the current setup at TDC the lobe on the "left" camshaft (adjacent to the throttle bodies) is skewed a little more to the left and the lobe on the "right" camshaft (front side of the engine). is skewed a little more to the right. Meaning they're almost longitudinal. I don't have photoshop so i couldn't manipulate the image exact.

Maybe a photo of your setup?
But, if the lobes are wider apart then maybe it has skipped a tooth.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 12:43 AM Thread Starter

I wasn't able to get a good photo tonight as the engine is still in the frame. But i have noted, from comparing to the figure in the manual, that the camshafts are in reverse order.

Here's the only pic i was able to snap....
post #5 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 12:48 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I wasn't able to get a good photo tonight as the engine is still in the frame. But i have noted, from comparing to the figure in the manual, that the camshafts are in reverse order.

Here's the only pic i was able to snap....

You do have #1 at TDC?
#1 is at the left side of the bike, not the lobes immediately behind the sprockets.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 1:21 AM Thread Starter

Yes sir. The T mark on the ignition pulse generator is aligned with the mark on the crankcase cover and this is what presents itself.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 1:25 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Yes sir. The T mark on the ignition pulse generator is aligned with the mark on the crankcase cover and this is what presents itself.

Yes, but you have confirmed that #1 piston is at TDC on the compression stroke?
You may be 180-degrees out with #4 on TDC, which will require another crank rotation to bring #1 to TDC on compression.

post #8 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 1:38 AM Thread Starter

I'm pretty sure it is, but to be certain tomorrow I'll crank it another 180 degrees just and check more closely.
post #9 of 12 Old 07-07-2013, 4:35 AM

Reputation Power: 36

Can you not get your marks flush with the head? While 't' is at line with tdc#1
If not make you the tool to loosen off cct pull cam caps remove ex cam and reinstall then remove in adjust chain and get lines flush with head put caps on let off cct check it then turn crank few times checking timing marks with pulse Gen marks. If alls good do valve check while your there.
post #10 of 12 Old 07-09-2013, 6:41 AM

Reputation Power: 8

To me you need to wind the crank 360 degrees and check the timing again. Think you will see is ok. And as bladeracer said remember No1 is on the left side of the bike. Has anybody had a camshaft jump a tooth. Would think that would be near impossible.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-09-2013, 8:25 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by robdanjor View Post
To me you need to wind the crank 360 degrees and check the timing again. Think you will see is ok. And as bladeracer said remember No1 is on the left side of the bike. Has anybody had a camshaft jump a tooth. Would think that would be near impossible.

I haven't had one skip myself other than one time when a valve adjuster came loose and dropped down the camchain tunnel - bending all the valves :-)
But I have seen it several times, and occasionally it doesn't cause any damage, just poor performance. In a modern sports motorcycle engine I think more than one tooth is likely to do serious damage. I've also seen broken camchains, broken rockers (I have a GSXR750 engine that broke seven of the eight rockers) and broken camshafts. I once "fixed" an engine that was locked up because the owner replaced the tensioner, by bolting it in while fully extended.
Some DOHC engines have almost identical cams that can very easily be put in the wrong sides of the engine.

post #12 of 12 Old 07-09-2013, 11:19 AM

Reputation Power: 11

I think you might be checking the cam positions with #1 piston at TDC, but not on the firing stroke.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page