Charging problems with my repsol 1000rr 2007 model - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 1:43 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Charging problems with my repsol 1000rr 2007 model

Hi guys

I found that my battery was not lasting on my bike.
It kept going flat after 2 months.
I checked the charge rate and found that it was charging at 15,6v with the main beams on and revs at 5000rpm.
Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 1:47 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Charging problems with my repsol 1000rr 2007 model

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blx3m View Post
Hi guys

I found that my battery was not lasting on my bike.
It kept going flat after 2 months.
I checked the charge rate and found that it was charging at 15,6v with the main beams on and revs at 5000rpm.
Has anyone had this problem or know how to fix it?

Thanks guys

How much mileage does "two months" equate to?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 1:51 PM Thread Starter

Between 1000km and 1500km
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 1:54 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Between 1000km and 1500km

Okay, so you ride it at least once every week?
I'm assuming the battery is flat when you want to ride rather than going flat while you're riding?
Is it a good quality battery or Chinese-made?
Have you tried disconnecting the battery terminals between rides to see if it still goes flat?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 1:59 PM Thread Starter

I ride about 2 / 3 times a week, and the battery is going flat between rides and the last time it went flat was during a ride. the battery was so flat I couldn't even run start it. And yes, it was a top-line Chinese battery.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 2:03 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I ride about 2 / 3 times a week, and the battery is going flat between rides and the last time it went flat was during a ride. the battery was so flat I couldn't even run start it. And yes, it was a top-line Chinese battery.

You can't bump start fuel injection unless you have enough power to run the fuel pump.
It went flat during a ride despite showing a 15.6V charge rate?
What voltage does the battery have with the engine off?
When you turn the ignition on?
And how low does it fall when you press the starter button?

post #7 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 2:10 PM Thread Starter

I'm not sure what the voltage is while riding ?
I fitted a new battery in today, and the volts showed 13.2v while the bike was off.
Only after fitting the new battery I tested the charge rate. On normal idling, it shows 14.3v, then tested with main beams on at 5000rpm and that showed 15.6v.
Surely during riding voltage can't climb to 15v?
And when I removed the old battery it smelled like a rotten egg (over sulphated)
post #8 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 2:14 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'm not sure what the voltage is while riding ?
I fitted a new battery in today, and the volts showed 13.2v while the bike was off.
Only after fitting the new battery I tested the charge rate. On normal idling, it shows 14.3v, then tested with main beams on at 5000rpm and that showed 15.6v.
Surely during riding voltage can't climb to 15v?
And when I removed the old battery it smelled like a rotten egg (over sulphated)

15.5V is the specified charge rate.
I was asking about the measurements of the old battery to determine if it was the battery that failed.
Did you replace it with a Yuasa this time?
I can't smell so I can't comment on that part of it.

post #9 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 2:25 PM Thread Starter

I did not check the charge rate of the old battery, due to the fact that the bike cut out on me while i was riding on the freeway about 30kms away from home aka Fuel pump failure ...just so you know, I am struggling with the fuel pump as well.

So i just went and bought a new battery today, its a Deltec battery, is it any good?

And any advice on repairing the fuel pump myself? Honda dealers charges a fortune for a new pump.

Sorry for all the questions, really appreciate the advice and help
post #10 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 2:30 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I did not check the charge rate of the old battery, due to the fact that the bike cut out on me while i was riding on the freeway about 30kms away from home aka Fuel pump failure ...just so you know, I am struggling with the fuel pump as well.

So i just went and bought a new battery today, its a Deltec battery, is it any good?

And any advice on repairing the fuel pump myself? Honda dealers charges a fortune for a new pump.

Sorry for all the questions, really appreciate the advice and help

If the battery is low then the pump won't run and the engine will stop running.
Never heard of Deltec but as long as it wasn't cheap it should be good.
Down here the Yuasa is around $165 last time I bought one, and worth every dollar compared to the sub-$100 crap.
No idea without knowing what's wrong with it.
Maybe it just needs cleaning or a new filter?
Since you didn't know the charge rate I'm guessing you don't have a manual, I would suggest you get one before throwing money at the bike.

post #11 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 2:41 PM Thread Starter

Well here in S.A deltec is a good battery so i hope it works.

Yes it is a dirty fuel filter causing the problem, but in order to get a new filter you have to buy a whole new pump.The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump and does not seem to be serviceable.

So i have modified my fuel pump just to get the bike going again at full speed, but my modification only lasts for a while, due to the fact that the fuel line im using only lasts for a while, due to the fuel softning the line and it breaking cause of the high pressure of the pump.
post #12 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 2:49 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well here in S.A deltec is a good battery so i hope it works.

Yes it is a dirty fuel filter causing the problem, but in order to get a new filter you have to buy a whole new pump.The fuel filter is part of the fuel pump and does not seem to be serviceable.

So i have modified my fuel pump just to get the bike going again at full speed, but my modification only lasts for a while, due to the fact that the fuel line im using only lasts for a while, due to the fuel softning the line and it breaking cause of the high pressure of the pump.

Can you remove the filter to clean it though?
Is this hose you're using inside the tank?
If you can bypass the filter you can probably use a filter from some other injected bike, 929/954, F4i, GSXR's, etc.

post #13 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 3:01 PM Thread Starter

The filter is inside a little black box, witch cannot be opened, so basically you cannot clean the filter.

So i have removed this black box with the filter inside it, off from the fuel pump. I then used 8mm rubber fuel line hose to complete the flow of the pump through to the injectors. I fitted my own fuel filter to the line and fuel pressure regulator.
Note this is all inside the tank.
The pump works perfect and the bike can still go to its top speed, the only problem is that the fuel softens the rubber, then the rubber line swells up and pops under the pressure.
post #14 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 3:03 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
The filter is inside a little black box, witch cannot be opened, so basically you cannot clean the filter.

So i have removed this black box with the filter inside it, off from the fuel pump. I then used 8mm rubber fuel line hose to complete the flow of the pump through to the injectors. I fitted my own fuel filter to the line and fuel pressure regulator.
Note this is all inside the tank.
The pump works perfect and the bike can still go to its top speed, the only problem is that the fuel softens the rubber, then the rubber line swells up and pops under the pressure.

It's not the fuel that's the problem, the hose needs to withstand 50psi minimum which is way above its design limit. Use high-pressure fuel line.

post #15 of 15 Old 07-07-2013, 3:07 PM Thread Starter

Will do, thanks

But otherwise the bikes all good and love the speed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page