Ticking noise under load again. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-07-2013, 2:46 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Ticking noise under load again.

Hi, newbie here and having an annoying problem.
I've seen lots of posts about different noise problems. I have the following problem with my 1999 cbr900rrx
It has 18k miles.
Engine is quiet and smooth in idle and in gear on the paddock stand through the rev range. No noises apart from slight noisy clutch basket when you release the clutch.
Under load when you get to just below 3k revs there is a loud ticking noise from the front of the engine on acceleration. This is only under load and disappears at about 5k revs unless you throttle back slightly and have constant revs. If you accelerate hard the noise is apparent straight away below 3k revs.
Downhill isn't as loud as the engine isn't under as much load.
I have had a full service, chain & sprockets, valves checked and just replaced manifold header gaskets. Noise is still there. I was wondering about CCT but its only under load and between 3-5 k revs.
It's very annoying but not getting worse as I've just done 800 mile trip round Belgium. It does not affect the performance and It's been dynojetted apparently when I bought it.
Can anyone assist with advice?
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-07-2013, 3:05 PM

Re: Ticking noise under load again.

Ticking noise under load again? I take it that you carried out a repair and it didnt work?

Is the noise there while the bike is cold or when its hot? or all the time?

What did you carry out on your previous repair?
post #3 of 21 Old 07-07-2013, 3:36 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Hi I have the same issue now and again on my RRX,ive just come back from the TT and it started to do it just out of the blue and it went as quick as it came,also my mates 954 started doing it too,Ive just posted about a knocking noise when cold do you get this on yours ??I have herd this noise before on my mates RRX a few years back,like you ive just had the shims done,I think maybe yours could be pinking (poor fuel/detonation)maybe a dyno set up to check fueling as its been dyno jetted.as mine made a tapping noise even on tick over ive got a track day at brands next month so if its going to blow its brains out it will happen then.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-07-2013, 3:41 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby1437 View Post
Hi, newbie here and having an annoying problem.
I've seen lots of posts about different noise problems. I have the following problem with my 1999 cbr900rrx
It has 18k miles.
Engine is quiet and smooth in idle and in gear on the paddock stand through the rev range. No noises apart from slight noisy clutch basket when you release the clutch.
Under load when you get to just below 3k revs there is a loud ticking noise from the front of the engine on acceleration. This is only under load and disappears at about 5k revs unless you throttle back slightly and have constant revs. If you accelerate hard the noise is apparent straight away below 3k revs.
Downhill isn't as loud as the engine isn't under as much load.
I have had a full service, chain & sprockets, valves checked and just replaced manifold header gaskets. Noise is still there. I was wondering about CCT but its only under load and between 3-5 k revs.
It's very annoying but not getting worse as I've just done 800 mile trip round Belgium. It does not affect the performance and It's been dynojetted apparently when I bought it.
Can anyone assist with advice?
Thanks.
My guess is detonation, the engine is not designed to pull hard throttle at low RPM.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 21 Old 07-07-2013, 5:27 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, it does it when its hot and cold unfortunately. It's had the valves checked and I heard it might be the manifold gaskets so I've done all the cheap options first. It's not a bearing or something that sounds fatal just bloody annoying. Ill try to get it set up on a dyno as it sounds more pinking / tappety. What noise/effects would you get if the shims needed doing? I tried high octane fuel but no difference.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-07-2013, 5:56 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Hi mate, the shims will get tighter so I'm guessing you will not hear tight shims only loss in power and poor running on tick over ect because the valves will be held open also bladeracer told me that valves can suffer by burning if the shims are tight when I took my cam cover off the cams and lifters looked perfect but I still get the tapping now and again,mine has done 21k miles
post #7 of 21 Old 07-08-2013, 1:42 AM

I have found, that wearing certain helmets, the ticking noise is more noticeable, I believe it may be the spark hitting the spark plugs, that's why it can only be heard at a very specific rpm. When I wear my shoei, I don't hear it, when I wear an arai or others I hear it. The helmets now a days are very noisy with wind, and the padding is not up against the ears so much. So you can hear noises alot more that are just average engine noises, but they sound louder inside a helmet, because they echo.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-09-2013, 5:18 AM Thread Starter

Been to see powerhouse in sheffield and they'll do low compression tests to check piston rings etc as it'll be cheaper than doing a full re build as it'll be cheaper to get another bike. Only thing I've not done is the plugs and leads and CCT.
post #9 of 21 Old 07-09-2013, 5:21 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Been to see powerhouse in sheffield and they'll do low compression tests to check piston rings etc as it'll be cheaper than doing a full re build as it'll be cheaper to get another bike. Only thing I've not done is the plugs and leads and CCT.

You said the bike runs fine so why are you even thinking about a rebuild or replacing the bike?
Just stop trying to accelerate from low RPM or you really will need new pistons.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #10 of 21 Old 07-09-2013, 5:47 AM Thread Starter

I never accelerate hard no matter what bikes I've had, if I'm plodding along its not as bad. Maybe I'm just too fussy but like knowing what the fault is. Doesn't sound like grinding metal on metal or bearings so will try plugs, leads and possibly CCT.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-09-2013, 6:40 AM

Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
I never accelerate hard no matter what bikes I've had, if I'm plodding along its not as bad. Maybe I'm just too fussy but like knowing what the fault is. Doesn't sound like grinding metal on metal or bearings so will try plugs, leads and possibly CCT.
I think the point BR is trying to make is not necessarily to accelerate hard, but to avoid lugging the engine, which will increase detonation.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-12-2013, 8:55 AM Thread Starter

Just a quick update. Noise getting a bit worse so going to have engine out and a good mate is going to strip it to see what the problem is. Only cost of a gasket set at least. Thought it might be the plugs but its not misfiring. Didn't have much luck as front tyre going flat on way home from work this morning as well.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-24-2013, 5:37 PM Thread Starter

Well the engine is out and stripped and its slight wear on each piston and chrome sleeve. Ive seen the shiny wear surfaces on piston and sleeve in each cylinder. The rest of the engine is in perfect condition. Far too costly to re sleeve and renew pistons so going to just run it as it is. Apparently its had hard use and acceleration when its cold and engine not up to temp. Thanks for all the advice.
post #14 of 21 Old 07-24-2013, 5:59 PM

Reputation Power: 36

Damn. Pulled engine and tore down over small sound in low rpm range. Props
I woulda told my bike. "Sorry baby but if your dying it'll be fast" and ran the piss outta her till she had enough or shut up with the noise. Hahaaa

I wouldn't worry to much bout a Lil noise. But loud tapping clanking banging on the other hand. Tear down time!

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.
post #15 of 21 Old 07-24-2013, 6:00 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Well the engine is out and stripped and its slight wear on each piston and chrome sleeve. Ive seen the shiny wear surfaces on piston and sleeve in each cylinder. The rest of the engine is in perfect condition. Far too costly to re sleeve and renew pistons so going to just run it as it is. Apparently its had hard use and acceleration when its cold and engine not up to temp. Thanks for all the advice.

Do you mean you didn't find any cause for the noise at all?
Can you post pics of the bore and piston wear and maybe the piston crowns?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in