99 cbr 919rr clutch issues.. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 07-10-2013, 10:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

99 cbr 919rr clutch issues..

Hey guys new to the site so please bare with me lol I just picked up a 99 919rr and was out riding it for prolly 2 weeks and then one day out of nowhere the clutch starts to slip from 3k rpm on up... so I took it apart and the steels were kinda blue bu t not warped or damaged so I reused them.. put an ebc srk57 I believe it was in the bike with new springs and it does the same exact thing... but when I took the old clutch out the one disc that is diff from the rest was broken in three so idk what's going on here... I see myself as a decent bike mechanic but vant figure this out for the life of me lol any help would be greeeatly appreciated.. havnt rode the bike in a week and its driving me insane lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 07-11-2013, 12:59 AM

Reputation Power: 36

Re: 99 cbr 919rr clutch issues..

Did you reinstall the judder spring cone outward or inward it goes outward.
So the first fiber that goes on (smaller diameter) cracked in two pieces?
Blue steels indicates high heat from slipping. They lost some grabbing power from that. Id replace blues ones.
Get some barnett racing heavy springs! they slam Hard. Like 25-30 lbs more spring pressure on plates
post #3 of 11 Old 07-11-2013, 3:30 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:
Originally Posted by glower0024 View Post
Hey guys new to the site so please bare with me lol I just picked up a 99 919rr and was out riding it for prolly 2 weeks and then one day out of nowhere the clutch starts to slip from 3k rpm on up... so I took it apart and the steels were kinda blue bu t not warped or damaged so I reused them.. put an ebc srk57 I believe it was in the bike with new springs and it does the same exact thing... but when I took the old clutch out the one disc that is diff from the rest was broken in three so idk what's going on here... I see myself as a decent bike mechanic but vant figure this out for the life of me lol any help would be greeeatly appreciated.. havnt rode the bike in a week and its driving me insane lol

You hadn't done anything at all to the bike before this occurred?
You weren't doing clutch wheelies or burnouts? How about the previous owner?
I would deglaze the steels with emery cloth for a start.
Did you check the spring lengths are still within spec?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 07-11-2013, 7:37 AM Thread Starter

I never took the judder spring out.. and the first plate cracked in 3 lol never seen it before in all my life of racing dirtbikes and I abused the heck outta them... and as far as doin wheelies and stuff like that, the bike is lowered and stretched so I havnt attempted a wheelie or anything on it yet, I'm sure the PO beat the hell outta the bike though... I sanded down the stwels before I put them backbin and still slips.. I have the cable so loose that it barely will disengage the clutch thinking it had something to do with that and still nothing... I'm baffled guys lol thanks for the replys btw and I didn't check the spring lengths cuz they were brand new with the clutch fibers..

Last edited by glower0024; 07-11-2013 at 9:29 AM.
post #5 of 11 Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Ok so I changed the oil ob the bike and put a washer in with the new clutch springs and it only slips in the low gears... like 1-3 and starts slippin at about 3k rpm.. if I'm cruising and click up into a high gear I can open it up and it won't slip. So confused on wut else to do lol
post #6 of 11 Old 07-12-2013, 1:33 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

what kind of oil did you put in it? Also, after you sanded the steels to remove the blue glazing, did you check their thickness with a micrometer? is it possible you got the wrong clutch parts? maybe for the wrong year? as I recall the earlier ones had a different number of plates/disks, and maybe just the springs got mixed up in your kit?
post #7 of 11 Old 07-12-2013, 6:05 PM Thread Starter

I didn't measure the plates, my micrometer was loaned out at the time and I didn't even think about it.. I believe the oil was maxima 10-40 I got it from my local shop.. and as far as the wrong parts, I bought the kit off ebay so it could be diff but the springs looked the same. The odd thing to me was I had to adjust my clutch cable the opposite way u usually do when u install a new clutch.. adjusted almost all the way out at both ends.
post #8 of 11 Old 07-12-2013, 6:28 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

is that a motorcycle specific oil? with friction modifiers for the wet clutch? just never heard of it before and my google-fu didn't tell me much
post #9 of 11 Old 07-12-2013, 8:50 PM Thread Starter

Its maxima racing oil, says petroleum sae 10-40 motorcycle specific.. on the back it says its an exclusive special blend of petroleum base stocks and advanced anti wear and anti shear additives that assure viscosity stability.. I'm new to streetbike so I asked him wut oil to buy and this is the one he handed me.. lol I rode it a few minutes ago and it didn't slip at all untill I hit around 9k and so I kept riding.. then like last time out of nowhere it starts slippin real bad.. dnt make sense lol
post #10 of 11 Old 07-12-2013, 9:00 PM

Reputation Power: 36

Huh well reg oil will slip has be specifically for wet clutches. And besides the springs being differ length or clutches being too slim and worn steels being glazed blued I dunno why it'd still be slipping.
It'd be worth a check of judder spring and washer behind it? Other then that I dunno?
post #11 of 11 Old 07-12-2013, 9:19 PM Thread Starter

The judder spring and washer are in there, but I dnt get why I had to adjust the cable the opposite way u usually do lol I guess I'm just gonna have to buy a whole clutch kit and ill just spend 60 on a oil change and run the motul...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page