Electronic flywheel plz help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 2:45 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 18

Electronic flywheel plz help

HI buddy

Since long long time, the cbr929rr electronic things has bothering me and I have no idea to solve it...

About CBR929rr, I think is the main problem with wiring harness,

1. I have decided tho use CBR954rr main harness, ECU, stator, flywheel And What else do i need to have for new CBR954rr electronic system? please help?

2.Can I use STOCK CBR954rr ECU, main wiring with whole electronnic stytem With HRC flywheel and stator?

3. Has anyone ever tried to modify OEM flywheel lighter and machine balacned? how does it goes? will it bad to ECU or electronic things? some people do not want to mod flywheel becasue it doesnt get much help to engine, is that real?

Please help .....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 3:24 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: Electronic flywheel plz help

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hung View Post
HI buddy

Since long long time, the cbr929rr electronic things has bothering me and I have no idea to solve it...

About CBR929rr, I think is the main problem with wiring harness,

1. I have decided tho use CBR954rr main harness, ECU, stator, flywheel And What else do i need to have for new CBR954rr electronic system? please help?

2.Can I use STOCK CBR954rr ECU, main wiring with whole electronnic stytem With HRC flywheel and stator?

3. Has anyone ever tried to modify OEM flywheel lighter and machine balacned? how does it goes? will it bad to ECU or electronic things? some people do not want to mod flywheel becasue it doesnt get much help to engine, is that real?

Please help .....
1. possibly the tail light, instrument cluster, switch clusters and ignition switch unless you're happy to re-wire your 929 items to fit.
2. I have no idea what an HRC flywheel and stator is, but I doubt a race stator is going to have enough output to run starter motor, headlights and indicators.
3. I'm a huge fan of lightening the flywheel, or even better remove it altogether. Yes, it is a noticeable difference in the speed that the engine spins up. Try it for yourself, simply remove your rotor, bump start the bike and go for a ride.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Larry. Thanks for help...

I ask some my racer friends, they said flywheel is lighter than OEM one, but out put is less than OEM,,

I did lighten my flywheel, feel much better(Guarteen that you can feel the engine is smoothly, and no vibriation than b4), but I worry it would be hurt my ECU, will it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 10:30 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hung View Post
Larry. Thanks for help...

I ask some my racer friends, they said flywheel is lighter than OEM one, but out put is less than OEM,,

I did lighten my flywheel, feel much better(Guarteen that you can feel the engine is smoothly, and no vibriation than b4), but I worry it would be hurt my ECU, will it?

As long as you haven't altered the magnets I can't see how it would affect the ECU at all.
Be aware though that taking metal off the flywheel does increase the risk of it coming apart at high RPM.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 6:31 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

As with a car flywheel, if you lighten it you have less reciprocating mass. This works two different ways, one positive, and one other (but not negative). The engine has less weight to turn, therefore your engine rpm will increase faster. This works on the opposite end too though. When you let off the throttle your rpm will drop faster and you have the ability to bleed off speed. It is all based off inertia. The less mass you try to spin, the faster you can spin it up with the same power, and the less inertia it has, the faster it will lose that acceleration.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #6 of 9 Old 07-11-2013, 10:18 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
As with a car flywheel, if you lighten it you have less reciprocating mass. This works two different ways, one positive, and one other (but not negative). The engine has less weight to turn, therefore your engine rpm will increase faster. This works on the opposite end too though. When you let off the throttle your rpm will drop faster and you have the ability to bleed off speed. It is all based off inertia. The less mass you try to spin, the faster you can spin it up with the same power, and the less inertia it has, the faster it will lose that acceleration.

Yep, and quicker spin down is just as important as quicker spin up.
I'm having trouble adapting to my "old" '90 GSXR750 as the engine doesn't react to throttle as quickly as I'm used to on the more modern bikes, making gear changing less instinctive. So I'm putting _lots_ of work into lightening the components of the race engine I'm building for it.

post #7 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 1:57 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

I did have a question bladeracer, how does it work with no flywheel? In a car (unless I'm mistaken) you have to have a flywheel in order to transfer power from the engine to the transmission, is this not the same in a bike, or am I generally thinking along the wrong lines? Sorry to threadjack you Hung, but this might also be helpful for you.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #8 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 2:08 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
I did have a question bladeracer, how does it work with no flywheel? In a car (unless I'm mistaken) you have to have a flywheel in order to transfer power from the engine to the transmission, is this not the same in a bike, or am I generally thinking along the wrong lines? Sorry to threadjack you Hung, but this might also be helpful for you.

By "flywheel" Hung is referring to the rotor.
On many motorcycle engines the alternator rotor does the work that a flywheel would do in a car engine, it adds weight to the crank.
On the 929/954 the alternator rotor also acts as the flywheel and starter clutch.

post #9 of 9 Old 07-12-2013, 2:47 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
As long as you haven't altered the magnets I can't see how it would affect the ECU at all.
Be aware though that taking metal off the flywheel does increase the risk of it coming apart at high RPM.
Thanks larry...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page