Clip Ons! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 66 Old 07-11-2013, 10:11 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

Clip Ons!

97 blade. what i assume are stock clips on but they are very short when i compare them to my buddies bikes.

I noticed if i pull my left clip on at the bar weight. the whole inner tube will slide out. Its all white n looks old. Im going to assume this is bad. So looking to replace the clip ons (and buy a new helmet that fits those with wide/full faces / big heads).

Any advice or suggestions

I seen a bunch of ebay ones for 48+ which is a price range i like. I dont mind the riding position yet so let me know! (not a track racer...yet)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 66 Old 07-12-2013, 9:27 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Re: Clip Ons!

I haven't replaced mine yet, but I'd say that would one of those areas where cheap might not = good. A failure at the controls due to crap aluminum would not be a good thing.
I would go with a name brand on those. Vortex, Graves, LSL, Woodcraft etc. Basically anything that is used in racing. Most of them go for about $100 +.
Just like frame sliders. Use a name brand. The cheap ones don't work. (ask me how I know)
post #3 of 66 Old 07-12-2013, 4:40 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozone View Post
97 blade. what i assume are stock clips on but they are very short when i compare them to my buddies bikes.

I noticed if i pull my left clip on at the bar weight. the whole inner tube will slide out. Its all white n looks old. Im going to assume this is bad. So looking to replace the clip ons (and buy a new helmet that fits those with wide/full faces / big heads).

Any advice or suggestions

I seen a bunch of ebay ones for 48+ which is a price range i like. I dont mind the riding position yet so let me know! (not a track racer...yet)
I have some oem one's???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 66 Old 07-12-2013, 4:44 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweezy666 View Post
I have some oem one's???
I was going to suggest finding some OEM replacements or used ones on fleabay. Should be a fair price to get used, and you know they are good quality. The rough part is that some of the used ones may not be any better than what you have on now. IMO, clip-ons are clip-ons. Switching out your grips and/or levers do more for the looks than switching out the clip-ons anyway.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #5 of 66 Old 07-12-2013, 5:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

The only real reason to swap to true clip-ons is for racing or if you want some adjustability.
post #6 of 66 Old 07-12-2013, 6:24 PM Thread Starter

well my main problem is now i have lost two sets of bar ends. they just fall of at high speeds. its annoying.also that piece i talked about coming out clean? well i just found out its all gone. so inside my clutch side bars there is nothing. no weight, no screw in piece. nothing its all gone....what do i do now??
post #7 of 66 Old 07-12-2013, 6:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozone View Post
well my main problem is now i have lost two sets of bar ends. they just fall of at high speeds. its annoying.also that piece i talked about coming out clean? well i just found out its all gone. so inside my clutch side bars there is nothing. no weight, no screw in piece. nothing its all gone....what do i do now??
wow, those things are hard to get out!!!! they have them on line for 20$ bucks! E-bay
post #8 of 66 Old 07-12-2013, 9:53 PM Thread Starter

so i could just buy new inserts on ebay! sweet. i will check that out.
post #9 of 66 Old 07-14-2013, 8:11 PM Thread Starter

I have another question. will different years fit? i see a few 98 listings on ebay and one for a 96. They look the same in pictures but can anyone verify if they indeed will fit?
post #10 of 66 Old 07-14-2013, 8:42 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Here is a part diagram of the bars of a '98. I forget which year you have. The bars did change slightly from year to year to adjust ergonomics, I think 98-99 was the highest version for more comfort.

Anyways, point is #7 is the inner weight you refer to. It is made of cast ally and is in a water trap (no drain hole) so unfortunately over time it can corrode, but it's not a problem on this part. It is damped against vibration by rubbers #9 and #10. The whole assembly is only held in by spring clip #11. When you remove the inner weight (who knows why you would except to replace an accident damaged part) you almost invariably will bust spring clip #11 trying to get it out. If you are particularly cheap or unknowing or too proud to ask on a forum (sounds like your bike's PO was all these things) you might try and put it back together with a broken spring clip and hope the friction of the rubbers will hold it together. Well, it won't. So you need a new inner weight now, and the rubbers, and the spring clip. It'll probably be cheaper to get a complete clip-on from eBay to be honest, plus then you have a spare for if/when you lay the bike down. Even a parking lot drop can bend a clip-on pretty easy. You will notice the weights in both sides are symettrical, so I recommend get a RHS bar if the choice is yours, as a bent RHS bar will stop you riding b/c the throttle won't move correctly, so it's the more important to have a spare of if you don't have both. Obviously, go to your honda dealer and get one or two of those spring clips also.

I wouldn't bother with race clip-ons unless you like cramp in your wrists and trying to look through the top of your new full-face helmet, which is also going to give you a sore neck. Just get the stock ones working right. If you get stock working right, you'll also avoid industrial white knuckle (exaggeration) due to the damping weights. But seriously you can get numb hands from vibration after a while especially if you find your bike's tingle frequency is highway RPM - aftermarket bars don't have any weights in, because they are for racing and weights are heavy. So are wheel balancing weights would be my argument but whatever. For the same reason, get stock bar end weights or for example some are sold on eBay as heavy or anti-vibration bar end weights. The aluminium aftermarket parts don't do ****.

As far as #16 goes, these are just m6x65 countersunk screws, I recommend going to eBay and buying a pack of stainless allen screws, these look nicer, don't rust and the allen head is easier to use and less likely to round out. I just searched for you, turns out no-one is selling this stuff in north america, god bless you crazy guys for sticking stoically to the imperial system! Anyways. These screws should be sealed in with a few drops of blue threadlock, don't overdo it but don't forget it either or you will keep the inside weight but lose the outer.

Parts drawing with full honda part numbers from here: Fast shipping. Up to 40% off Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Polaris OEM motorcycle parts and accessories. Deep reseller discounts. You can open up the pages for each year model and cross-check part numbers. I'm helpful, but that's boring and ICBA

Last edited by amorti; 07-14-2013 at 8:52 PM.
post #11 of 66 Old 07-14-2013, 9:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post

Here is a part diagram of the bars of a '98. I forget which year you have. The bars did change slightly from year to year to adjust ergonomics, I think 98-99 was the highest version for more comfort.

Anyways, point is #7 is the inner weight you refer to. It is made of cast ally and is in a water trap (no drain hole) so unfortunately over time it can corrode, but it's not a problem on this part. It is damped against vibration by rubbers #9 and #10. The whole assembly is only held in by spring clip #11. When you remove the inner weight (who knows why you would except to replace an accident damaged part) you almost invariably will bust spring clip #11 trying to get it out. If you are particularly cheap or unknowing or too proud to ask on a forum (sounds like your bike's PO was all these things) you might try and put it back together with a broken spring clip and hope the friction of the rubbers will hold it together. Well, it won't. So you need a new inner weight now, and the rubbers, and the spring clip. It'll probably be cheaper to get a complete clip-on from eBay to be honest, plus then you have a spare for if/when you lay the bike down. Even a parking lot drop can bend a clip-on pretty easy. You will notice the weights in both sides are symettrical, so I recommend get a RHS bar if the choice is yours, as a bent RHS bar will stop you riding b/c the throttle won't move correctly, so it's the more important to have a spare of if you don't have both. Obviously, go to your honda dealer and get one or two of those spring clips also.

I wouldn't bother with race clip-ons unless you like cramp in your wrists and trying to look through the top of your new full-face helmet, which is also going to give you a sore neck. Just get the stock ones working right. If you get stock working right, you'll also avoid industrial white knuckle (exaggeration) due to the damping weights. But seriously you can get numb hands from vibration after a while especially if you find your bike's tingle frequency is highway RPM - aftermarket bars don't have any weights in, because they are for racing and weights are heavy. So are wheel balancing weights would be my argument but whatever. For the same reason, get stock bar end weights or for example some are sold on eBay as heavy or anti-vibration bar end weights. The aluminium aftermarket parts don't do ****.

As far as #16 goes, these are just m6x65 countersunk screws, I recommend going to eBay and buying a pack of stainless allen screws, these look nicer, don't rust and the allen head is easier to use and less likely to round out. I just searched for you, turns out no-one is selling this stuff in north america, god bless you crazy guys for sticking stoically to the imperial system! Anyways. These screws should be sealed in with a few drops of blue threadlock, don't overdo it but don't forget it either or you will keep the inside weight but lose the outer.

Parts drawing with full honda part numbers from here: Fast shipping. Up to 40% off Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Polaris OEM motorcycle parts and accessories. Deep reseller discounts. You can open up the pages for each year model and cross-check part numbers. I'm helpful, but that's boring and ICBA
i hvae a 97 but holy christ that was so much info!

I do hate the fact we dont use metric.....

im gonna go on ebay now and look for 98 or so RH and LHS bars. Thanks so much. i will let you know how it goes and what i find.

ICBA???? whats that?
post #12 of 66 Old 07-14-2013, 9:34 PM

Bored at home, it's more now I read it on the iPhone !
post #13 of 66 Old 07-30-2013, 4:51 PM Thread Starter

UGH THIS SUCKS
post #14 of 66 Old 07-30-2013, 11:35 PM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

Frozone - did you make that vid?
Dude! you got serious ADHD!

I made it through about 20 seconds and was looking like this -

Get some used OEM's that haven't been crashed. That's my advice. about $50-100. Might take some patience though.
post #15 of 66 Old 07-31-2013, 2:04 AM

Is the steering lock engaged? That would hold the top yoke (tree) on. Really you should lift the bike off the ground for this but usually you don't have to. It could be held in because a fork is bent, or just simply the weight of the bike bearing down and holding it together. Hold the front brake on (zip tie) and sit on and wiggle the bike back and forth with your knees. This should allow you to lift the clamp off using both hands when it's all 100% lined up.

Add wd40 in case there's any corrosion holding it together.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page