cbr 900RR SC33 clicking or tapping noise - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-13-2013, 5:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

cbr 900RR SC33 clicking or tapping noise

Hi I start a new threat on this one.
My blade SC33 makes a clicking noise coming from the top end of the engine.
It is a very noticeable clicking or tapping noise just about 2000 rpm. It at any other rpm it disappears. It does this in all gears and a little more when the bike running. When the engine is cold the noise is less present, but still there.
It is not the cam chain tensioner! I know the sound the cam chain makes when it gets loos.
I don’t know if this problem is related to my other thread here:(The engine is making a loud ticking/knocking/sputtering during heavy acceleration)

The sound is surly not the same this is another sound only present at just about 2000 rpm.
I have made these things recently:
The cylinder head has been removed and everything is measured and checked. Everything looked very fine. New head gasket, and the head are on again.
I have checked the chain tensioner and the cam chain guides which look pretty much like new and work fine.
The valves are adjusted.
Carburetor cleaned and synchronized.The engine uses no oil at all.

Does anyone know what this might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 4:58 PM Thread Starter

Re: cbr 900RR SC33 clicking or tapping noise

Anyone ?
post #3 of 16 Old 07-14-2013, 10:44 PM

Reputation Power: 36

You say tapping? Be lifter is loose. Check valve clearance and adjust shims twice just for conformation.
Said you had the head off? Was it apart springs valves etc..
Checked cct? did you use small flatbladed tool to hold back spring pressure while reinstalling?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 12:20 AM

Reputation Power: 11

do the tapping get loud when you twist the throttle , do the tapping sound like its coming from the front of the motor, check your oil to see if your have copper looking shaving in the oil pan , if so its you spun a rod bearing .
post #5 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 12:30 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

I would suggest it is most likely a metal part, or around a metal part... the fact that it becomes more pronounced when the engine is warm indicates that once the metal expands from the heat it is allowing the tapping. Unfortunately that also means there a lot of things it could be from lifters, valves, bearings..... Your mains look just like car crank bearings in that they sit in a grooved slot and are slotted together. They are held in place by one little tab, if that tab breaks off your bearing spins and widens the channel it sits in. This will allow the bearing to start moving and eventually will fracture/rip apart probably fragging the whole engine. Could also be true of a rod bearing. Without ripping the whole engine apart and simply rebuilding it finding the problem is hit or miss trial and error...

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #6 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 9:42 AM Thread Starter

I have record a video of the ticking sound with 0 mph, without the air filter.
her

If you look at my other thread her you can hear the sound when driving in 1,2,3 gear: her

Last edited by martin_l; 07-15-2013 at 9:51 AM.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 10:26 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rrHonda View Post
You say tapping? Be lifter is loose. Check valve clearance and adjust shims twice just for conformation.
Said you had the head off? Was it apart springs valves etc..
Checked cct? did you use small flatbladed tool to hold back spring pressure while reinstalling?
Yes the head has been disassembled and everything is measured and is within specifications. The Cct is brand new I checked it anyway and it is fine.
Yes made a tool to hold back the ccts spring while installing cams if this is what you mean.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 3:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_l View Post
Yes the head has been disassembled and everything is measured and is within specifications. The Cct is brand new I checked it anyway and it is fine.
Yes made a tool to hold back the ccts spring while installing cams if this is what you mean.
Okay, that's what I was curious about was if u made the little tool to hold the spring in while installing cct. Seen people install without and streached out their chain made a lot noise.
post #9 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 3:36 PM

That sound ticking/tapping sounds like something up around cams givin the speed the tapping is going.
I kno u have uploaded few videos. But if you post another besure stuff tshirt or rag at back of muffler the clean the sound up some. I'm gonna look at other thread videos and get back to ya.
post #10 of 16 Old 07-15-2013, 5:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
That sound ticking/tapping sounds like something up around cams givin the speed the tapping is going.
I kno u have uploaded few videos. But if you post another besure stuff tshirt or rag at back of muffler the clean the sound up some. I'm gonna look at other thread videos and get back to ya.

ticking sound 0 mph New video better sound
hi. olso posted the vid link en the other thred her:

Maybe I should close this thread and just go for the other one. Or does it get things messed up? The same engine but is this the same problem ?

Last edited by martin_l; 07-15-2013 at 6:06 PM.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 3:10 AM

What are your valves set at. Should all be on tight side of spec cause they get looser over time.
And this is dumb question but all shims are reinstalled and accidentally left one out or traded wrong one possibly. You did get the same measurements twice right? 1-3 in 2-4 ex 2-4 in 1-3 ex then check againg by goin another 180 to tdc recheck 1-3in etc again and same numbers. I wanna same my intakes are .007? And Ex are. .011.. so they are on tight side of spec. I listened video three four times. Kinda hear lifter slapping cam lobe being too loose. But id think noise would still be there even under more throttle?
post #12 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 3:47 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
What are your valves set at. Should all be on tight side of spec cause they get looser over time.
And this is dumb question but all shims are reinstalled and accidentally left one out or traded wrong one possibly. You did get the same measurements twice right? 1-3 in 2-4 ex 2-4 in 1-3 ex then check againg by goin another 180 to tdc recheck 1-3in etc again and same numbers. I wanna same my intakes are .007? And Ex are. .011.. so they are on tight side of spec. I listened video three four times. Kinda hear lifter slapping cam lobe being too loose. But id think noise would still be there even under more throttle?
My valve is set: IN= 0.007/0,16mm EX= 0.011/0,25mm. I checked this twice before I put the top on, just like you have described.
Pretty sure no shims are loose because the engine had the same noise before I adjusted valves.
post #13 of 16 Old 07-26-2013, 2:26 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin_l View Post
My valve is set: IN= 0.007/0,16mm EX= 0.011/0,25mm. I checked this twice before I put the top on, just like you have described.
Pretty sure no shims are loose because the engine had the same noise before I adjusted valves.
All I hear is the slides rattling in the carbs.

Put the airbox & tank back on, and I bet that the noise goes away.

fyi, modern-day bikes will slowly tighten their valves over time. With decent fluid maintenance, the oily bits will have near-zero wear, and the only other wear point is the valve seat, which slowly recedes.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-26-2013, 5:29 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:

No, no, no!
Cam on buckets get tighter, not loose.
If you have a rocker valve train then they will get loose.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #15 of 16 Old 12-19-2013, 10:43 AM

Reputation Power: 8

All I hear is the slides on the carbs going back and forth like a 900rr carbs supposed to sound with air box off and no filters. My sounds like that also with no air box either do some. Reading on the carbs u have on your bike and I bet u might learn they make them
that way

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page