soooooo - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-14-2013, 5:09 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

soooooo

I decided to journey into the wonderland that is the 900. Ive been having a charging issue since i bought the bike. Finally decided to take the tail, gas tank, seat and battery off... as soon as i came back to the right side i see both of these. The rectifier being rigged isnt a big deal unless the previous owner hooked them up wrong and the black box with the fuse in it was charred along with the starter wire and positive cable. Could this be the reason im havin charging issues since these 2 plugs were basically melted together? Can anyone tell me the proper name if the box with the fuse..

Thanks in advance

Oh and if anyone decides to ask why i took off the tank was because i noticed 2 hoses coming from the tank that connected to absolutely nothing so i figure they were vacuum hoses (please correct me if im wrong)
Attached Thumbnails
20130714_152123.jpg‎   20130714_151941.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-14-2013, 5:54 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Re: soooooo

Wow, not surprised you had charging issues!

The little black thingy is the starter solenoid. You need to replace that and the cable from the battery to it and from it to the starter, those parts are all fubar and will come back to bite you on the ass if you try to reuse them.

In principle the regulator fix looks ok. However it is not ideal, check here for the proper fix. Also the regulator is a cheap replica Chinese part off ebay so should be inspected v carefully before going it full trust.

Most likely cause of your issue there is corrosion on a terminal either end of the solenoid, or maybe a loose connection on any of the 4 connectors. Or the wire just corroded inside and went high resistance if for example te bike lives outside. The solenoid then overheats and the fuse holder can melt, going high resistance. And this gives you your charging issue. Replace the solenoid should solve it.

Do check the repairs which have been made though, any could be suspect although they look ok. More pics please.
post #3 of 10 Old 07-14-2013, 5:58 PM Thread Starter

Thank you! i really appreciate it i know the original owner and it stayed in the garage, same here i only take it out if the radar is 100% clear. Ill be going to honda and see if i can get these parts plus will be going to get my battery tested in a couple of minutes since the bikes apart at the moment.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-14-2013, 8:43 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 98

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
Wow, not surprised you had charging issues!

The little black thingy is the starter solenoid. You need to replace that and the cable from the battery to it and from it to the starter, those parts are all fubar and will come back to bite you on the ass if you try to reuse them.

In principle the regulator fix looks ok. However it is not ideal, check here for the proper fix. Also the regulator is a cheap replica Chinese part off ebay so should be inspected v carefully before going it full trust.

Most likely cause of your issue there is corrosion on a terminal either end of the solenoid, or maybe a loose connection on any of the 4 connectors. Or the wire just corroded inside and went high resistance if for example te bike lives outside. The solenoid then overheats and the fuse holder can melt, going high resistance. And this gives you your charging issue. Replace the solenoid should solve it.

Do check the repairs which have been made though, any could be suspect although they look ok. More pics please.

nice!!!!!!
post #5 of 10 Old 07-15-2013, 12:13 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

On your r/r I would certainly pull off all that tape and start inspecting wires. Any half-ass fix to the electrical system is never a good thing. I don't even like crimping wires v soldering them. Soldering them properly is the best way to ensure continuity and a lasting repair. Definitely pick up a new solenoid and negative cable.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #6 of 10 Old 07-15-2013, 12:25 AM Thread Starter

for everyone. I really appreciate all the help ive gotten from everyone so far you guys rock lol but seriously!
post #7 of 10 Old 07-17-2013, 5:08 PM
SDM

Reputation Power: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tildeath629 View Post

Oh and if anyone decides to ask why i took off the tank was because i noticed 2 hoses coming from the tank that connected to absolutely nothing so i figure they were vacuum hoses (please correct me if im wrong)
I would say they are vent hoses NOT VACUUM HOSES I wouldnt plug them or try to plug them in somewhere leave them hanging and make sure when you put the tank back on that they dont get kinked major problems if they do.

2005 1000RR, Matte black/candy apple red graphics
-1/+3 DID 520
PC-3
Brake/running/turn signal in passenger pegs
HID & projectors
re-fabbed seats more cushion
Red SS brake lines
Custom side exhaust
adjustable/foldable levers
post #8 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 12:28 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDM View Post
I would say they are vent hoses NOT VACUUM HOSES I wouldnt plug them or try to plug them in somewhere leave them hanging and make sure when you put the tank back on that they dont get kinked major problems if they do.
Thank you SDM, I forgot to address those hoses. They certainly are vent hoses. Normally they will have an endpoint on the left side of the bike in the area around the kick stand mount. Best to tuck them away as best you can, but try to keep them fairly straight and keep the openings facing down. One is for the battery (usually), and I can't remember the other one (sometimes two).

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #9 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 12:44 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
Thank you SDM, I forgot to address those hoses. They certainly are vent hoses. Normally they will have an endpoint on the left side of the bike in the area around the kick stand mount. Best to tuck them away as best you can, but try to keep them fairly straight and keep the openings facing down. One is for the battery (usually), and I can't remember the other one (sometimes two).
Fuel overflow or vent? Seems like all bikes have at least one coming off the tank. I've never been sure of it's purpose as I've never seen anything come out. My GPZ had one right in front of the rear tire and I thought it would a LOT of fun if it started blowing fuel...
post #10 of 10 Old 07-18-2013, 1:03 PM

Garage

Yeah, one is fuel vent. Keeps the pressure from getting too high in the tank with temp changes. There is often a third, but I can never remember its purpose lol. At one point I did look it up on my '08 CBR, but the research eludes me now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page