Rotors - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 10:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Rotors

I've searched the forum and my concerns are hit and missed if I missed something I'm srry again but
So I'm buying rotors I have a bit of vibe and realize its about that time I'm REALLY am looking at the axis iron but my concern is what pads and if being a street bike if the will work with low heat I've heard both sides yes and no
Also if those wont work for me is the Chinese going to hold up I don't race but I act like it
And don't want to spend 250 again in a couple months
Gaffers I really don't care for the style
I really like the black irons and gold centers but I don't want to die either
Again with the best pads to use as well pls
Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 07-14-2013, 11:48 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage
Re: Rotors

If you don't mind the look of stock rotors they are really the cheapest and best option. I have not heard anyone say that the chinese or gaffers really increased stopping power any, so as long as it stops good for you right now stick with OEM style. You can find different colour centers in OEM styles, as far at the rotor itself, I don't think I've payed enough attention to notice if they weren't plain silver.... The only way I could see to change the colour of the rotors themselves are to change the material (i.e. carbons). I'm sure it is possible to find them in different colours, I just haven't cared that much about such a minute detail I guess.

As far as pads, go to EBC's website. They will run through their entire lineup of pads, the materials they are made out of, and their intended purpose. The information will transfer to any brand that you are looking at for materials and uses. EBC is a very good brake manufacturer though, and they don't cost an arm and leg.

Any other questions please ask!

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #3 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 3:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

I would contact Brake Tech, the manufacturer, with your questions if you plan to use their Axis Iron rotors. The primary purpose of ductile iron rotors is better heat transfer. Keep in mind that the black coating on the braking surface is a spray on coating to prevent rust during storage/shipment. It will have to be removed prior to use, so the surface will not be black, just in case looks was your motivation for choosing them. Ductile iron rotors wil rust while you bike sits, just like the ones on your car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 6:18 AM Thread Starter

Reputation Power: 7

Good deal thanks guys I was basing half on the black and half on the material data so the rusting thing is it a deep rust or will it rub off after a few good pulls the ceramics are nice looking but don't think 1300 a piece is worth it for me but thanks for the input
post #5 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 6:35 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 159 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 122

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wwilmoth69 View Post
Good deal thanks guys I was basing half on the black and half on the material data so the rusting thing is it a deep rust or will it rub off after a few good pulls the ceramics are nice looking but don't think 1300 a piece is worth it for me but thanks for the input
It should just be a surface rust, unless the bike sits outside in heavy moisture and isn't ridden for a while.
post #6 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 11:13 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
If you don't mind the look of stock rotors they are really the cheapest and best option. I have not heard anyone say that the chinese or gaffers really increased stopping power any, so as long as it stops good for you right now stick with OEM style. You can find different colour centers in OEM styles, as far at the rotor itself, I don't think I've payed enough attention to notice if they weren't plain silver.... The only way I could see to change the colour of the rotors themselves are to change the material (i.e. carbons). I'm sure it is possible to find them in different colours, I just haven't cared that much about such a minute detail I guess.

As far as pads, go to EBC's website. They will run through their entire lineup of pads, the materials they are made out of, and their intended purpose. The information will transfer to any brand that you are looking at for materials and uses. EBC is a very good brake manufacturer though, and they don't cost an arm and leg.

Any other questions please ask!
A lot of people on the site have purchased the Chinese rotors (Arashi), me included. I think they did help with my stopping power, tho I also added braided lines, Super Blue fluid and was coming from warped rotors, so just about anything would've been an improvement.
They are definitely lighter than stock and cheaper than OEM as well. Even some of the guys that race use them and have said they hold up well. They also have either black or gold center choices, but they do look like the Galfers.
I went with EBC ceramic pads. EBC rotors are a lot more expensive but look more like stock.
post #7 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

installed chinese (arashi) rotors about 2 months ago, with EBC sintered HH pads. i only changed pads, rotors, and fluid, and used regular prestone DOT 4 fluid. stock lines, stock every thing except pads and rotors. nothing bad to say at all. only about 400 miles or so on them so far though. good feel, very good stopping power. some people have said bad things about the EBC pads but i have nothing bad to say, they seem fine to me.
post #8 of 9 Old 07-15-2013, 2:37 PM

Reputation Power: 0

Im also running the EBC rotors and pads and new fluid and am super happy with them ! I had a warped rotor when I purchased the f-blade so I can't really offer a comparison ,but I can tell you that now my brakes feel great .Awesome stopping power = enough to get the rear wheel off the ground .

'99 CBR900RR - Ride to Live !
post #9 of 9 Old 07-16-2013, 2:25 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by packman5280 View Post
installed chinese (arashi) rotors about 2 months ago, with EBC sintered HH pads. i only changed pads, rotors, and fluid, and used regular prestone DOT 4 fluid. stock lines, stock every thing except pads and rotors. nothing bad to say at all. only about 400 miles or so on them so far though. good feel, very good stopping power. some people have said bad things about the EBC pads but i have nothing bad to say, they seem fine to me.
I have been looking at the chinese knock off gaffers as well, I have seen people say that they hold up good, just didn't remember them praising the increase in stopping power. I switch to EBC on my 06 600 for pads, they held up great IMO, and I had zero complaints about them.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page