Fitting LED indicators - connector help! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 07-15-2013, 7:21 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Fitting LED indicators - connector help!

Hi Guys,

I've just bought some replacement LED indicators for my blade - they are Motrax LAT3. The bike has some aftermarket iridium ones on it at the moment but the lens has faded.

I'm just wondering what connectors to buy in order to fit the new ones, I know I need a relay for each one to stop the high flash rate.

See the photos below that show the new indicators and the wiring of my existing ones. The connectors for the existing ones are too big to use. I'm wondering if I can buy a connector that fits onto the standard block, has a relay and then goes to small female connectors so I can just fit my new indicators straight on. Hope that makes sense.

Cheers

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 07-16-2013, 5:27 AM Thread Starter

Re: Fitting LED indicators - connector help!

Hi Guys,

Well I figured it out and I've ordered some leads which use the existing connector. I actually tested the LED ones this morning though and as expected they are flashing too fast.

I realise I need to replace the relay, i'm keen to just buy one that's a simple plug and play fit. will this one work - LED BLOCK MOTORCYCLE INDICATOR FLASHER RELAY HONDA | eBay.

Also how many do I need to buy? does each indicator have it's own relay? replacing my bulb ones with LED is proving a costly exercise!

Cheers

Alex
post #3 of 7 Old 07-16-2013, 5:43 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Actually there is a story about being able to just add a resistor to the line in order to stop the flashing speed. Well, slow it down I should say. I think people said they stuck 2k ohm resistors in series with the light's (ground?) and it slowed it back down to stock. May be worth a look since this would be drastically cheaper than the relays. If you do buy them, you have to get 2 I believe.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 07-16-2013, 9:59 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

I think you can also replace the main flasher relay with an LED compatable one, you need both front and rear as LED then though. Im using 4 of the serial resisters on mine which is a little crazy... Will swap over to a single new flasher relay at some point!

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #5 of 7 Old 07-16-2013, 12:38 PM

Reputation Power: 13

As above, you will need 4 resistor blocks (1 per indicator) or just replace the relay, they are all plug and play & are available everywhere. Even on a some famous internet auction site.

The blue connectors on the bottom pic are not standard equipment on a motorbike & are not waterproof. They wont go wrong if they get wet but they will rust & eventually fail.

Again, goto ebay & look for waterproof connectors, there is a seller on the southcoast of UK that sells FIA powerboat connectors for just a couple of golden nuggets. (complete with instructions)

You will need a Molex crimping tool which, again, you can get from anywhere for sod all.
post #6 of 7 Old 08-16-2013, 11:01 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone View Post
As above, you will need 4 resistor blocks (1 per indicator) or just replace the relay, they are all plug and play & are available everywhere. Even on a some famous internet auction site.

The blue connectors on the bottom pic are not standard equipment on a motorbike & are not waterproof. They wont go wrong if they get wet but they will rust & eventually fail.

Again, goto ebay & look for waterproof connectors, there is a seller on the southcoast of UK that sells FIA powerboat connectors for just a couple of golden nuggets. (complete with instructions)

You will need a Molex crimping tool which, again, you can get from anywhere for sod all.
Thanks Tony, I've just ordered some plug and play replacement relays. Quick question I'm assuming I just need one relay per set of indicators? and whereabouts is each relay located on the bike?

Cheers

Alex
post #7 of 7 Old 08-16-2013, 5:02 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 113

I just snipped off the connectors from the stock signals and soldered them onto the new signals when I swapped mine.

If you go the resistor route, DO NOT put them in series with the signals. It'll reduce the voltage to them, making them dimmer. Put the resistors in PARALLEL with the signals, thus keeping the voltage at the signals the full 12 volts. An electronic relay is a better way to go though - much cleaner, not wasting power, and potentially melting stuff with hot pieces of metal covered ceramic next to your wiring.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page