Need Completely New Wheels CBR 929 - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 11:02 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Need Completely New Wheels CBR 929

Hey everybody, just got off the phone with my mechanic about how my bearings are done on my wheels and they're pretty much welded to the wheel. He can't get it off (happened to another friend of mine as well).

Question I have is what limitations do I have for my wheel of choice? Can I use a wheel from any CBR and just get bearings that fit my 929? I'm trying to not buy OEM because they're insanely expensive. I'm replacing front and rear wheels as the bike is 13 years and they haven't been replaced yet.

Appreciate the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 11:20 AM

Reputation Power: 8

Re: Need Completely New Wheels CBR 929

Quote:
Originally Posted by Planbee View Post
Hey everybody, just got off the phone with my mechanic about how my bearings are done on my wheels and they're pretty much welded to the wheel. He can't get it off (happened to another friend of mine as well).

Question I have is what limitations do I have for my wheel of choice? Can I use a wheel from any CBR and just get bearings that fit my 929? I'm trying to not buy OEM because they're insanely expensive. I'm replacing front and rear wheels as the bike is 13 years and they haven't been replaced yet.

Appreciate the help.
the fourm and ebay are your friend, 954 wheels are a direct swap and am pretty sure cbr 1000rr wheels(04-07) as well, rc51 wheels can be used with mild modification to the front one. i dunno why wouldnt come out, my 954's wheel bearings hadnt been changed in 11years and had 44k on them and they still came out.
post #3 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 11:27 AM Thread Starter

It's happened to some bikes. He has a video of it and even broke a few tools trying to get it out. Said the bearings were just welded to the bike at that point. I knew something was wrong with it when I was riding it because you could hear some squeaking noises at low speeds.

Thanks for the info and I'll get to checking on those wheels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 11:49 AM

Reputation Power: 8

Quote:
It's happened to some bikes. He has a video of it and even broke a few tools trying to get it out. Said the bearings were just welded to the bike at that point. I knew something was wrong with it when I was riding it because you could hear some squeaking noises at low speeds.

Thanks for the info and I'll get to checking on those wheels.
as a last resort i would try putin a lil heat to the wheel to see if i could them loose, just a thought before shelling out cash on new wheels. you should be able to find a set of wheels for a decent price, craigslist as well is another good place to check especially livin sumwere like virginia were they have alota bikes.
post #5 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Definitely I'll try CL as well. Not sure if the mileage is what caused it all. The bike just hit 40k miles and in the past two years I put 14k of those on it.
post #6 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 12:05 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Something tells me he doesn't have a proper bearing removal tool. Chances are he's beaten them so the inner ring came out and left the race. Still possible with an expanding bearing plug. Give the wheels to someone who knows what he's doing. He might give knocked them out squint, in this case the wheel may well be scrap but I'd be putting it on the tech for poor workmanship.

I just can't believe bearings can really seize in like that. Spin up and open the hole maybe, separate and be hard to get out maybe. But actually seize in? Doubt it.
post #7 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 12:19 PM Thread Starter

He's an ex AMA race tech and certified with every make so I trust him more than the other mechanics around this area. Some of the balls within the bearing were missing as well. When the video is up I'll post it here.
post #8 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 1:27 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Quote:

Appreciate the help.

This is impossible, the wheel is aluminium and the bearing is steel, they can't weld themselves together.
Do you know of a better mechanic?
Heat the wheel to about 100C and the bearings will fall out.
Wheels last way longer than 13 years without requiring replacement :-)
Wheels from the 929, 954 and 04-07 1000RR will bolt straight into your 929 with no modification. You do not need brand new wheels.
929 front is $490 new - FRONT WHEEL
929 rear is $572 new - REAR WHEEL
954 rear is $100 cheaper and slightly lighter - REAR WHEEL
You will also need new bearings and seals.

If you are determined to replace your wheels instead of replacing your mechanic I would look for 1000RR wheels as they're a little lighter.
1000RR front is $395 - FRONT WHEEL
1000RR rear is $443 but you will also require the sprocket carrier and sprocket carrier spacer - REAR WHEEL

But you can probably pick up some nice secondhand wheels for less than the price of one new wheel, perhaps even with some decent tyres on them.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #9 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 1:28 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
He's an ex AMA race tech and certified with every make so I trust him more than the other mechanics around this area. Some of the balls within the bearing were missing as well. When the video is up I'll post it here.

Certification means nothing if he can't do the job.
Find a proper mechanic and have him swap your bearings for you.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #10 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 1:36 PM Thread Starter

I'll check to see if he has a flame to use to heat up the wheel and try and take it off then. I don't believe he has one. I'll get in touch with him later today.
post #11 of 16 Old 07-16-2013, 1:38 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I'll check to see if he has a flame to use to heat up the wheel and try and take it off then. I don't believe he has one. I'll get in touch with him later today.

Do not use flame unless you want to repaint them.
Put the wheel in the oven or use a heat gun or hairdryer.
If he doesn't have any such thing how can he call himself a mechanic?

post #12 of 16 Old 07-17-2013, 3:38 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Do not use flame unless you want to repaint them.
Put the wheel in the oven or use a heat gun or hairdryer.
If he doesn't have any such thing how can he call himself a mechanic?
This guys sounds fishy to me. If you took your block to a machine shop, what would you do if they said they are unable to hone the cylinders, but they can bore them... or they can't get the cam bearings out because they've welded to the block. Just doesn't sound right to me...

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #13 of 16 Old 07-17-2013, 11:13 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate the help guys. Got a lot to figure out these next few days. All this input has been very helpful.
post #14 of 16 Old 07-17-2013, 11:28 AM

Reputation Power: 7

i got a set of 954 wheels to sell if interested
post #15 of 16 Old 07-17-2013, 11:57 AM Thread Starter

Definitely interested. No bumps or wobbles?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page