929 flapper noise - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 9:11 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

929 flapper noise

Ok guys. when i first picked up my 929 about 1k miles ago i noticed a very obvious vibration that seemed to be coming from under the gas tank at about 3800 rpm through 4k rpm. everyone i talked to said it was the flapper and it was normal. ok... fast forward to about a week ago... the noise and vibration is GONE! what happened. bike seems to run the same. i dont feel any flat spots or anything like that. am i crazy??? bike is going in for a valve check and airfilter/plug/oil change at the end of the season. im just confused where the noise went.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 929 flapper noise

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle_lex View Post
Ok guys. when i first picked up my 929 about 1k miles ago i noticed a very obvious vibration that seemed to be coming from under the gas tank at about 3800 rpm through 4k rpm. everyone i talked to said it was the flapper and it was normal. ok... fast forward to about a week ago... the noise and vibration is GONE! what happened. bike seems to run the same. i dont feel any flat spots or anything like that. am i crazy??? bike is going in for a valve check and airfilter/plug/oil change at the end of the season. im just confused where the noise went.

Servo motor finally stripped the gears perhaps?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

ugh.... maybe thats why the vibration "seemed" loud to me but then again this is my first cbr and my dad always wear ear plugs so he wasnt much help. he stated he only noticed it just before i picked up when he ran it up the road after an oil and coolant flush.

runs fine or seems to. what do you suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Servo motor finally stripped the gears perhaps?
Usually when the servo goes it throws a code. At least all the ones I've seen.
post #5 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 10:34 AM Thread Starter

bladeracer - i cant thank you enough for responding to my post. quick question... if the bike pulls fine at every rpm is there even a need to tear into and look at it? just weird that at first i hated the noise it made but now its gone. i obviously havent had enough seat time to know all the ins and outs of the bike but to me it runs fine. it def isnt a torque monster never was from day one. i just want the bike to perform the way it was intended. im not trying to milk any extra power from it. it only has a two brothers slip on anyway.
post #6 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 10:50 AM

If you want to check the if the flapper is operating correctly it's easy enough to do. Prop the tank, pull the airbox cover and filter, and run the engine. When you give it throttle you will see the flapper move or not. It only activates when you hit the throttle, but you should see it move above 3k rpm. An easy check and could help point you in the right direction or at least eliminate things.
post #7 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 10:57 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsta13 View Post
It only activates when you hit the throttle, but you should see it move above 3k rpm. An easy check and could help point you in the right direction or at least eliminate things.
It's open at 8k, not 3

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #8 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 10:58 AM Thread Starter

lobsta13- THANK YOU! i was under the impression that it only worked under "load" so just reving the motor would not move the flapper.... i guess im wrong?? here is what we are doing this weekend. im picking up a new air filter (dont flame me... it has NEVER been changed!!! i about fell down when i heard this.)

so we just need to take the dampener off and pull the tank to get to the airbox, pull the old filter and then i guess i can take a look at the flapper and see if your method does anything.

anything im missing?
post #9 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
lobsta13- THANK YOU! i was under the impression that it only worked under "load" so just reving the motor would not move the flapper.... i guess im wrong?? here is what we are doing this weekend. im picking up a new air filter (dont flame me... it has NEVER been changed!!! i about fell down when i heard this.)

so we just need to take the dampener off and pull the tank to get to the airbox, pull the old filter and then i guess i can take a look at the flapper and see if your method does anything.
anything im missing?
It will move, though I may be wrong at what RPM it opens (thanks Sky). I thought it was more specific to how wide open the throttle was, so I really wasn't paying any attention RPMs . I can tell you that it does not have to be under load.
You shouldn't have to pull the tank completely off, it is hinged and you should be able to get to all the screws to pull the airbox cover, though the back ones are a bit tough to get to with the tank on. There's only a couple of screws keeping the tank closed and if you have a yoke damper, you will have to remove it, plus two screws holding the ram air ducts on each side of the tank.
I pulled the flapper out of my 954 when the servo stripped the gears and became pretty familiar with opening up the airbox and the HTEV system. It's not hard to do but opening the airbox gets old pretty quick.
post #10 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 11:53 AM Thread Starter

IF its not working... with your experience would you just pull the flapper out? what issues would i have considering the bike is stock with juut a two brothers slip on? sorry for the dumb questions... my last bike was a gsxr 750 with none of this stuff on it. i TRUELY appreicate everyones advice and help!!!! more than you know.
post #11 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 11:57 AM

Quote:
IF its not working... with your experience would you just pull the flapper out? what issues would i have considering the bike is stock with juut a two brothers slip on? sorry for the dumb questions... my last bike was a gsxr 750 with none of this stuff on it. i TRUELY appreicate everyones advice and help!!!! more than you know.
It won't hurt to pull it out or pin it open. A lot depends on if the servo is stripped. If you have to pull it, it's not a tough job. It really doesn't do a whole lot and I doubt you would notice one way or another (I didn't). Truthfully, if the noise is gone, and you're not getting a code and the bike is running strong, I would probably leave it.
post #12 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 PM Thread Starter

thanks a ton. i just hope its not locked in a semi open position as i guess that would effect top end by not getting enough air. total guess there. not even sure if it can lock in any position if the servo is stripped or burnt. but like i said... no codes and seems to run fine.
post #13 of 21 Old 07-18-2013, 12:06 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lobsta13 View Post
It won't hurt to pull it out or pin it open. A lot depends on if the servo is stripped. If you have to pull it, it's not a tough job. It really doesn't do a whole lot and I doubt you would notice one way or another (I didn't). Truthfully, if the noise is gone, and you're not getting a code and the bike is running strong, I would probably leave it.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #14 of 21 Old 07-20-2013, 3:15 AM
jud

Reputation Power: 0

Hi.. I have the same vibes. Was there anything else you did just before the vibes disappeared?
Even a minor thing may have sorted it?
Cheers
post #15 of 21 Old 07-23-2013, 7:42 AM Thread Starter

ok guys... i chaged my air filter this weekend and here is the report. to answer "Jud's" question, i didnt do anything to the bike. when i got the bike from my dad it made the vibrations and flapper noise. a month later... the noise is gone. no idea why.

ok the flapper valve IS working. it opens up at 8k rpms with no load required. so it seems to be fine. replaced the old air filter with the new one and put it all back together. all seems to be fine. NOW if ONLY i could find a new full exhaust for it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page