CBR 954 gear issues?! - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 07-19-2013, 2:28 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

CBR 954 gear issues?!

Hey All!

Looking for some advice as to whether its my error or if my gears are starting to go...

First off I have been riding this bike for 3yrs now with no shifting problems until recently. The bike has a dyno quick shift as well, not sure if this could be messing up. Heres what happened...

The first time I had issues I was shifting up into 5th, the rpms shot up and I immediately grabbed for the clutch, I coasted until my rpms went back down and slowly let back out on the clutch and all was fine.

The second time I was going up into 4th, I was riding kinda hard. The rpms dropped like I was in neutral, again I grabbed for the clutch. After I got the clutch in I could hear the bike shift hard so I let out slowly and all was fine then.

The second time makes me question if my teeth are wearing but the first time could have been a false neutral and my error. The bike has 16,000 miles, Ive owned it for the last 10,000 of that and have never had shifting issues. Again it has a dyno quick shift (I'm not too familiar which any issues that may cause or if it has anything to do with it).

Thanks for your help everyone! I can't imagine the money I would spend at shops without these treads!

-Courtney
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 07-19-2013, 4:53 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 56

Garage
Re: CBR 954 gear issues?!

What is your quick shifter kill time setting? Mine works great at 59ms.

SOLD: 03 CBR954
post #3 of 4 Old 07-19-2013, 5:36 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Try removing the quick shifter and ride for a while. If the problem does not repeat itself you have found your cause. On the other hand, if the problem does not go away, it would certainly point to trans issues. Either way, it would quickly point you in the right direction.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 07-19-2013, 11:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

I am dealing with this right now too on my track bike. It's a false neutral, the bike doesn't engage into the next gear.

It's most definitely a tranny issue, which one is hard to tell without pulling the parts out and looking at them.

It can be

1. Worn dogs, these are on the sides of the gears
2. Bent or worn shift forks.
3. Shift fork shaft is bent
4. Shift drum, I had a nick out of one of the channels on mine.
5. Gear Shift Shaft.
6. Shift star.

Or all of the above.

Unfortunately, the 954 isn't a cassette style tranny, you can get the shift forks, drum and shift fork shaft. By dropping the oil pan, removing the side cover, removing the clutch pack. Fairly easy stuff, but it does require the removal of the radiator and the exhaust. To get the tranny out you have to remove the engine and break the cases to get it out.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page