900 Steering Alignment Issue. - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 07-19-2013, 6:59 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 13

900 Steering Alignment Issue.

For those that cant watch videos.

My bike handlebars turn left fully to lock and right to lock. however the distance is much different. I can tough grip to frame turning left but to the right there is a good amount of space so much so that it makes turning right at low speeds hard to do as it wont turn far enough even though its hitting the stop bump.

Helps!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 07-19-2013, 9:34 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Re: 900 Steering Alignment Issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozone View Post
Cbr steering issue - YouTube

For those that cant watch videos.

My bike handlebars turn left fully to lock and right to lock. however the distance is much different. I can tough grip to frame turning left but to the right there is a good amount of space so much so that it makes turning right at low speeds hard to do as it wont turn far enough even though its hitting the stop bump.

Helps!!!

Bent handlebar perhaps?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 14 Old 07-20-2013, 10:18 AM

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Bent handlebar perhaps?

I think you have misread the situation too. If the steering is hitting the "lockstop" on both sides then your steering is getting full lock both sides. Most likely is a bent bar giving the illusion the steering isn't moving as far going left. Since bikes are built not to trap your thumb under the bar and tank, I think the right one is straight. If the throttle opens cleanly and closes witha snap then the right one is probably straight.

It's easy enough to confirm -
Unscrew two screws each on left switches and clutch lever. Note the switches have fragile threads when you're reinstalling.
take the top triple off, remove the left bar.
Look along its length or roll it in a piece of glass. You'll soon see if its not straight. They tend to bend on the tube rather than the casting but do eyeball the whole thing closely.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 07-20-2013, 10:21 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Turn into a stock-car driver and only make left turns! If you need help just google nascar driver... should be lots of good info on there to make only left turns....

Seriously, that is a little bit on the odd side, and the first time I've seen that much of a difference in travel. Looks to be a couple inches difference.... I have a good buddy that owns a shop, I'll ask him what he thinks!

BR, I would say bent bar, but why that that actually make him turn wide when making right turns? It would physically have to be a wider turning radius to make him have to turn wider, but what the hell would cause that>?

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #5 of 14 Old 07-20-2013, 10:23 AM

Garage

One small idea to try out... Set your tire dead straight 90 degree angle to the bike. Measure from the end of each bar end to the same spot on the tank, if the measurement is the same then it is something (maybe) lower down on the forks, something out of adjustment maybe? A part that can be twisted that would cause it to lock right too soon...

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #6 of 14 Old 07-20-2013, 11:44 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 229

Hard to see but is the fork tube on the left closer to the frame rail than on the right when at full lock?
If she's had a good whack in the front maybe it's compressed the lockstop.
In my crash last month I smashed the left lockstop off the steering head.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 14 Old 07-20-2013, 2:00 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 660 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Yes, as it was said before, the left fork tube seems to be much closer to the frame than the right. Your left bar should not come anywhere near smashing your fingers against the frame. Either that bar is bent as others said, or there is something amiss at the steering head/front wheel. Also, I noticed your bars have no bar ends on them. Any particular reason why? The stock bars have locating pins on them to articulate into the underneath of the top triple clamp. Make sure it's located properly. My guess is you have proper clearance on the right side, and it's the left side you need to worry about. If you had means to get the front end off the ground and loosen and re torque every nut and bolt associated with the front end, then that may be the problem. Something maybe loose. But it seems I would focus on the left side, not the right. Lock to lock steering should give you plenty of room on each side with your hands on the bars. There should be no finger smashing. The right side looks like you get proper clearance. Did this happen all of a sudden? I think Amorti and I are on the same page.

Last edited by IanDoohan; 07-20-2013 at 2:13 PM.
post #8 of 14 Old 07-20-2013, 3:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Pause at 0:23 is that fork bent or is it just me?
post #9 of 14 Old 07-20-2013, 4:28 PM

Reputation Power: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkes View Post
Pause at 0:23 is that fork bent or is it just me?
Can't really tell from that angle. It could cause issues with steering but if it were bent enough to cause the bar misalignment to that degree, I do not think you would get the forks into the yokes at all.

Still, Frozone, might be worth getting someone who knows what he's looking at, to take a look.
post #10 of 14 Old 07-20-2013, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

Its super late. im tired. this is awesome. i will respond tomorrow with more info n see what i can do.

This bike was def dropped before by the PO. I dont have bar ends because the left sides weight simply fell out with the bar ends while riding. the right side bar end just unscrewed itself. its a **** all. new/used bars coming in soon anyways (clip ons)
post #11 of 14 Old 07-20-2013, 11:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
One small idea to try out... Set your tire dead straight 90 degree angle to the bike. Measure from the end of each bar end to the same spot on the tank, if the measurement is the same then it is something (maybe) lower down on the forks, something out of adjustment maybe? A part that can be twisted that would cause it to lock right too soon...
Ok yby 90 degrees do yo mean take the wheel off? I can def measure stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Hard to see but is the fork tube on the left closer to the frame rail than on the right when at full lock?
If she's had a good whack in the front maybe it's compressed the lockstop.
In my crash last month I smashed the left lockstop off the steering head.
I will take a new video tomorrow! Yea it has def been dropped hard on the lft.-
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Yes, as it was said before, the left fork tube seems to be much closer to the frame than the right. Your left bar should not come anywhere near smashing your fingers against the frame. Either that bar is bent as others said, or there is something amiss at the steering head/front wheel. Also, I noticed your bars have no bar ends on them. Any particular reason why? The stock bars have locating pins on them to articulate into the underneath of the top triple clamp. Make sure it's located properly. My guess is you have proper clearance on the right side, and it's the left side you need to worry about. If you had means to get the front end off the ground and loosen and re torque every nut and bolt associated with the front end, then that may be the problem. Something maybe loose. But it seems I would focus on the left side, not the right. Lock to lock steering should give you plenty of room on each side with your hands on the bars. There should be no finger smashing. The right side looks like you get proper clearance. Did this happen all of a sudden? I think Amorti and I are on the same page.
its been like this since day one. i recently got the bike to go straight wtihout having to turn the bars. by loosening the pinch bolts that hold the clips ons and banging the wheel. I guess next time i have free i will go down the bolts. Mind you i am very new to this whole thing. so some terminology or just common stuff i might not know

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
Can't really tell from that angle. It could cause issues with steering but if it were bent enough to cause the bar misalignment to that degree, I do not think you would get the forks into the yokes at all.

Still, Frozone, might be worth getting someone who knows what he's looking at, to take a look.
will do. gonna take a better video soon. (in the morning)
post #12 of 14 Old 07-21-2013, 1:41 AM

Garage

I was referring to keeping the wheel 100% straight in line with the bike and measure your bars to the same point on the tank. The filler cap is a good solid reference point. Your left bar indeed should not butt up all the way against the tank, your throttle looks like it stops just about where it should.

post #13 of 14 Old 07-23-2013, 10:43 PM Thread Starter

working on it guys!
post #14 of 14 Old 07-23-2013, 11:35 PM

Garage

keep us up to date! I would still suspect you have something wrong with the left side, at least if it's at stock height, it should not get that close to the tank. The only time you see bars get that close is on bikes that have been lowered and the clip-ons are lower on the forks.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page