929 water pump replacement - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 12:58 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 9

929 water pump replacement

hey everyone, my 929's water pump recently started making a clattering sound. the seal does no leak however. i pinpointed the sound by listening to various parts of the engine with a PVC pipe and i could hear the clatter from the water pump when i slightly rev the engine. my question is do i need to buy a brand new water pump or can i buy a used on off ebay?

i found this one which seams to have the seals and all, will this one just bolt right on? thanks for any input

38516 Honda CBR929 RRY RR1 00 01 Water Pump | eBay

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike, and that's pretty damn close"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 1:12 PM

Reputation Power: 8

Re: 929 water pump replacement

i dunno about your method of dignostics my friend pvc pipe . but if you think your water pump is clackin first thing i'd do is check and see if i had coolant second flush the cooling system. if problem is still there then i'd replace it
post #3 of 12 Old 07-23-2013, 1:14 PM Thread Starter

i already have new coolant in the bike and it is topped up perfectly, the PVC pipe was just used to pinpoint where the sound was coming from just like a stethoscope, nothing more.

"Money can't buy happiness, but it can buy a bike, and that's pretty damn close"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 12:07 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

The water pump in my Grand Am was doing the same thing to me. The bearings went bad, so for a loooong time it would rattle really bad anytime the car was running. I knew it would have to be replaced eventually, but was in no hurry to do it as it still functioned properly for cooling purposes. After about 8 months the car started to leak coolant, but I could never pinpoint where it was coming from. A couple months later, as the leak got worse, I was finally able to see it was coming from the pump itself. A quick change out made the car sound great (almost new even) and I stopped having to constantly add coolant.

The moral of the story? If it is indeed the water pump, and you have the money to replace it, just go ahead and do it now before it advances to leaking. The last thing you want is slippery arse glycol all over your back tire because it is leaking going down the road....

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #5 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 1:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help RRDemom, i just don't want the bike to break down anywhere so i would rather get it over with now. I ordered a used pump off ebay what seals or o-rings do i need to order as well? Can i just reuse the o-ring that came with the pump?

post #6 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 1:44 PM

Reputation Power: 11

not judging but why would you order a used water pump and not a new one. how long do you think an old one will last? if i was going to spend the money and take my time to replace that crap... id just throw a new one on. just my thoughts. maybe you can sell the new/old one and go order a new one. just some advice buddy.
post #7 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 1:48 PM Thread Starter

I was about to order a new one eagle but i am not 100% sure the problem is the pump, i'm just going by where i heard the sound come from. I don't wanna spend $160 on a new pump and find out it was not the problem. Even if the used pump lasts 6 months or a year, i only paid $50 and would have found out the problem in the meantime

post #8 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 2:10 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 56

Garage

If your pump is not leaking coolant I doubt its bad. It will either leak around the bottom of the cover gasket or from the weep hole on the bottom of the shaft that enters the motor. Signs of coolant around the weep hole tells you the internal seal is bad and the pump needs replaced. I am on my third water pump right now at 33k miles.

SOLD: 03 CBR954
post #9 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 2:15 PM Thread Starter

My pump is not leaking, but i can hear the clattering sound, with a bike that has 61,000 kms on the clock i'm pretty sure it is the pump. The pump has never been changed before on my bike. From the research i made it said that the seal does usually go first but not always. I guess my pump's bearings are shot and it us just a matter of time before it fails completely.

post #10 of 12 Old 07-24-2013, 4:36 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Second hand off Ebay is a chance, but i replaced a fuel pump on my old ZX9r as it was clattering, with a used off Ebay, and it was still going strong 2 years later when i ploughed into the side of a van.
post #11 of 12 Old 07-25-2013, 3:14 AM Thread Starter

I believe the only thing i need to fit this used pump is a new o-ring, am i correct?

post #12 of 12 Old 07-25-2013, 8:21 AM

Reputation Power: 8

i do belive your right the small o-ring that slips over the shaft of the water pump if am not mistakin mine had just started to leak at 44k on my 954

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page