cbr929 recall - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 07-28-2013, 1:13 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

cbr929 recall

I got a 2001 929rr , when my bike had 30.000Km. the clutch "rod" ( the axel that operates the clutch) broke.... I called a Honda dealer who said my bike did not have a recall update and so I could just bring it to the nearest dealer for this to be fixed... So I did, but then they said, and the Honda Norway(kellox)said that the recall of my bike had been done so I had to cost this myself... so I ordered it and changed it myself. But is there anyway to find out if the parts from the recall actually have being changed??? The old rod was hollow, and the new was solid.... and the dealer just said that is the way they make them now...hmmm... And after starting up my old 86VFR I notice my CBR engine has alot of vibration compared to the old bike.... So I think maybe I still have the old clutchbasket which should have been replaced???? Can anyone help?? what can I do?? Honda Norway(kellox) do not want to help at all.. Reagards rc24 from Norway.
Attached Thumbnails
rod.jpg‎  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 07-28-2013, 2:17 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage
Re: cbr929 recall

I would attempt to contact Honda directly to find out exactly what all was included with the recall and what they symptoms were, and what it was that was breaking. Maybe email a US dealer if it also affected them. Most of them will be willing to fill you in on the details.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #3 of 8 Old 07-28-2013, 7:22 PM

Reputation Power: 34

ISTR from on here the recall fitted a whole new clutch - basket, lifter arm (not hollow, so yours is pre refit!!), springs, the lot.

Whoever told you the recall was done appears to have lied to you... Get in touch with Honda, as long as your bike is in the country it was originally imported to, they should be able to check recall work by frame number.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 07-28-2013, 9:21 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 57

Garage

If the recall was performed there should be a "punch dot" beside frame bolt above and to the left of the clutch cover. Only certain parts were changed to make the 929 the same as the 954. The actuator rod was the part that failed.

The kit in the link below is the recall kit from Honda. I have one I purchased from this seller to have a spare outer hub. The hub alone from Honda is over $200 so this kit is a great price to have spare parts or for someone rebuilding their clutch. The OEM part# for the recall kit is 22000-MCJ-305. The kit includes: judder seat and spring, first fiber plate, actuator rod, outer hub, washer and lock nut for hub.

Brand New Honda 929 954 Clutch Baskit Kit 22000 MCJ 305 | eBay

@rc24 - If your actuator rod was hollow then the recall has not been performed on your bike. It happened to my friend's 929 about 2 years ago and Honda told him to take it to nearest dealer and it would be fixed at no charge. The dealer wanted him to leave bike and they would fix it in a few weeks. It was summer so he said no thanks and that's why he fixed it himself.

SOLD: 03 CBR954
post #5 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 5:45 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all replyes and help Will try to contact Honda again , now that I have new arguments to come up with . Just sad that its such a struggle to get a warranty done... thought Honda would take better care of their costumers...

Regards rc24
Attached Thumbnails
cbr.jpg‎  
post #6 of 8 Old 07-29-2013, 6:25 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Some dealers don't like doing warranty work because they can't charge per hour - Honda will only pay them a flat fee which is usually a little less than the hours actually needed to do the work, plus they don't get the markup on parts.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #7 of 8 Old 08-01-2013, 8:57 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
Some dealers don't like doing warranty work because they can't charge per hour - Honda will only pay them a flat fee which is usually a little less than the hours actually needed to do the work, plus they don't get the markup on parts.
That's true to a point. I worked at a Honda dealership as a tech and as the Service Manager. We never turned away warranty work. However, your exactly right about the dealer getting the shaft (pun intended) in compensation. Honda's warranty flat rate hours back then (1999) were unobtainable. We as the dealer lost a significant amount of money doing warranty work. There are other dealers out there that will put the screws to the customer to stay in the black. And thats what appears to have happened here. Call your local Honda customer service line and complain. Back in the day that prompted American Honda to call me and ask me what I had done to help the customer. And that always made us look bad. Side note, most of the calls were not legitamate.
I vaguely remember the 929 recall. We did a few, and the punch mark would be the telltale sign, provided the tech actually punched it.
post #8 of 8 Old 08-13-2013, 12:44 PM

Hi guys I bought my bike from a guy who lived in the UK and then immigrated to South Africa and brought the bike over with him!Do you guys think Honda South Africa will carry out the recall or tell me it is Honda UK problem?Plus is it the dot in the photo attached?
Attached Thumbnails
20130813_172444.jpg‎  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
929 cbr recall clutch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page