Water in my radiator: Bike's getting HOT - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 3:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

yadda yadda...Bike's getting HOT...'WTF'

I have just distilled water in my radiator left from a trackday.
I know it's not the best to cool my bike down, but it's getting pretty hot, pretty fast - -I expected more from water to cool my engine down.

Usually, my fan comes on at 222F. Today, I'm sitting at a stoplight watching my bike go from 222, 223, 224......up to 239F. I couldn't tell if my fan turned on or not, signal light turned green, and I took off hoping the air would help cool it (which it did).

The day's expected to get warmer, and traffric is going to suck on my way back home today.
Has anyone just ran water in their cooling system, and does the bike really get this hot? Could it be my fan?

Last edited by RacerCutie; 03-10-2004 at 11:58 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 3:11 PM

Re: Water in my radiator: Bike's getting HOT

Pure water is a better coolant than anti freeze and water mix. Something else is wrong, like your fan isn't working, or your cap is bad.

Last edited by luvtolean; 03-08-2004 at 3:12 PM.
post #3 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 3:19 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Pure water is a better coolant than anti freeze and water mix. Something else is wrong, like your fan isn't working, or your cap is bad.
Thanks LTL, I wasn't sure about water being a good coolant or not. I'll check my cap before starting my bike up again - make sure the fan connections are ok.
Would there be a fuse for the fan in case it went out?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 3:24 PM

Reputation Power: 20

I believe the fuse is located under the seat.
post #5 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 3:24 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Yes, there should be a fuse for the fan. I'm not sure though which one it is, since I had that problem with my old F3 and not with the 929.
post #6 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 3:33 PM

There is a fuse under the seat. 15amp if I remember correctly. I'd say your fan motor switch probaly went kaput. It's located on the radiator and to check it pull the wire and with another wire short it (the wire you just pulled) to chassis. If your fan spins then the sensor is bad. Buy a new one from RonTurner. It's a cheap part.

Last edited by aBnorMal; 03-08-2004 at 4:10 PM.
post #7 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 3:43 PM

A friend of mine had his F4 boil over due to the fuse blowing.
post #8 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 3:54 PM

Reputation Power: 19

RC, I have a brand new in the bag "temp sending unit" if you should need it. Let me know.

If the fuse is known to be good, in the manual they show you how to short out the fan to ground to rule out a broken fan motor.

Insignificant Member

Last edited by freq; 03-08-2004 at 4:00 PM.
post #9 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 3:58 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by freq
RC, I have a brand new in the bag "temp sending unit" if you should need it. Let me know.
No way.
I'll let you know.

(Nothing boiled over - I didn't see any warning light go on)
post #10 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 4:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean

or it is not completely full. did you start the bike after you put the water in it, and let it get up to 180 to open the thermostat so it could be filled?
post #11 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba
or it is not completely full. did you start the bike after you put the water in it, and let it get up to 180 to open the thermostat so it could be filled?
Yep. That is true.

RC, change the fuse even if it looks OK and see if your fan comes on.

post #12 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 4:58 PM Thread Starter

Found the problem!

I checked the fuses and they were fine.
My radiator cap looked good.
BUT, my water level was super low.

I've changed my radiator fluid a dozen times - and I guess I didn't 'burp' all the air out this last time. I refilled it, started the bike up, and noticed that the temperature was rising much slower than before. It got it up to 223, and the fan kicked in allowing the temperature to slowly decrease.
Bubba, I didn't allow my bike to get to 180 when I changed my fluid the last time.

Anyway, glad it's not anything major - just a lame fluid change on my part.

Last edited by RacerCutie; 03-08-2004 at 4:59 PM.
post #13 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 5:20 PM

IMHO you should add some sort of additive to lubricate your water pump and keep the seals in it in good condition. Waterwetter by Redline seems to be the 'recommended' brand.
post #14 of 38 Old 03-08-2004, 5:33 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gblade
IMHO you should add some sort of additive to lubricate your water pump and keep the seals in it in good condition. Waterwetter by Redline seems to be the 'recommended' brand.
I bought a bottle just yesterday.
I'll add it when I get home.
(smells fishy)
post #15 of 38 Old 03-09-2004, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RacerCutie
I bought a bottle just yesterday.
I'll add it when I get home.
(smells fishy)
Why the hell are you not running a EG, PG mix? If you absolutly need to put water in there then you better add some water wetter for corosion inhibitance and lube. Heres why:

Why use a Coolant?

----The main purpose of mixing glycol with water is to lower the freezing point and to raise the boiling point of the coolant mixture. Glycol also improves
the anti-corrosion properties of the water. But glycol affects the heat transfer characteristics adversely, to a small extent. Pure ethylene glycol has a thermal conductivity coefficient only 40% that of water. Its thermal diffusivity, a measure of a substance's ability to absorb heat, is about 50% that of water. So, used alone, it is not a very good heat transfer fluid. It is also quite viscous (hard to pump). When glycol is mixed with water, say in the usual ratio of 50:50, the heat transfer capacity of the mixture is reduced, but only about 15% compared to pure water. Everything else being the same, you would have to circulate 15% more coolant volume to get the same cooling effect as water. Conversely, replacing your antifreeze solution with water would improve cooling by 15% or so. A system properly designed for glycol mix should obtain sufficient cooling. But if the heat exchanger (radiator) has been damaged, or has become fouled, then switching to water or a lighter glycol mix could restore some performance. There are not any choices for coolant for service at normal engine temperatures (~200F) that are as benign, cheap and effective as water/glycol mix. Various oils can be used at much higher temperatures Oil plays at least a part in cooling all engines. Some motorcycle engines have oil cooling passages in the head or cylinder walls. Light oil has about the same heat transfer characteristics as pure glycol

Also....Running straight water, regardless of whether it's tap or distilled, usually isn't too good of an idea. Water and the air that will inevitably be mixed in with it will always be corrosive in a cooling system. Also, water pump seals need some sort of lubrication or they'll fail. Never heard of head gasket problems related to pure water, but who knows. Maybe their composition doesn't get along with pure water for some reason. Antifreeze has rust inhibitors in it and acts as a lubricant for the pump seals. These are the exact reasons that companies like Redline came up with products like Water Wetter. Tracks don't allow antifreeze and something needed to fill the gap for corrosion resistance and seal lubrication when running straight water.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page