Stolen/Recovered RRW, new ignition not working - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

Stolen/Recovered RRW, new ignition not working

Evening guys and gals.

Just spent a rather wet afternoon replacing the ignition base on my 1998 blade. When she was stolen a few months back the buggers tried hotwiring her by slicing the wires from the base of the ignition.

Now, to save myself from having to have a seperate key for the ignition, i bought an OEM ignition base from a honda dealer. Got around to fitting it today and it doesn't seem to give any power.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? doesn't even set my alarm off when the key is turned. Doubt it's a duff base as bought from honda directly.

Also, 98/99 model has the pink wire, could this and the zener diode be related?

Cheers,
Herms
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-31-2013, 3:59 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Re: Stolen/Recovered RRW, new ignition not working

Hi have you checked the main 30A fuse on the starter relay?
post #3 of 10 Old 07-31-2013, 4:17 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrherms View Post
Evening guys and gals.

Just spent a rather wet afternoon replacing the ignition base on my 1998 blade. When she was stolen a few months back the buggers tried hotwiring her by slicing the wires from the base of the ignition.

Now, to save myself from having to have a seperate key for the ignition, i bought an OEM ignition base from a honda dealer. Got around to fitting it today and it doesn't seem to give any power.

Anyone have any ideas what could be causing this? doesn't even set my alarm off when the key is turned. Doubt it's a duff base as bought from honda directly.

Also, 98/99 model has the pink wire, could this and the zener diode be related?

Cheers,
Herms

But you do have power at the battery?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-31-2013, 7:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLOB748 View Post
Hi have you checked the main 30A fuse on the starter relay?
yus, seems to be okay

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
But you do have power at the battery?
Was a bit low, so charged up to full but still nada.

It has a datatool veto evo alarm/immobiliser fitted, not sure but could something have blown in that which could need replacing?
post #5 of 10 Old 08-01-2013, 11:05 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

So you said they tried to hot wire it by splicing wires. Did you have to splice anything back? Or were you able to just plug and play the new base in? I assume you bought the complete kit with the gas cap as well to keep one key? Anything else noticed out of the ordinary that they may have ruined? I would take the alarm junk off, didn't seem to help if they still got away with it.
post #6 of 10 Old 08-01-2013, 3:42 PM

Reputation Power: 25

What Ian said. Bypass that alarm and see if it starts...
post #7 of 10 Old 08-01-2013, 9:37 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
So you said they tried to hot wire it by splicing wires. Did you have to splice anything back? Or were you able to just plug and play the new base in? I assume you bought the complete kit with the gas cap as well to keep one key? Anything else noticed out of the ordinary that they may have ruined? I would take the alarm junk off, didn't seem to help if they still got away with it.
They did rip the seat off and i noticed the 30amp fuse was pulled up from it's snug cosy place. Doesn't look like anything was really tampered with though or disconnected/cut.
Just bought literally the ignition base, so was able to screw that in to my original barrel, plug it in, and thus keep my original keys.

And while the alarm didn't really help stop them stealing it, i do believe it was dumped as they were unable to start it, so it at least stumped joyriders and such. Kinda like the piece of mind that theres at least something on it that will deter some of the lower scum. Though it's as they say, if they really want it, they'll just take it.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-02-2013, 12:05 PM

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrherms View Post
They did rip the seat off and i noticed the 30amp fuse was pulled up from it's snug cosy place. Doesn't look like anything was really tampered with though or disconnected/cut.
Just bought literally the ignition base, so was able to screw that in to my original barrel, plug it in, and thus keep my original keys.

And while the alarm didn't really help stop them stealing it, i do believe it was dumped as they were unable to start it, so it at least stumped joyriders and such. Kinda like the piece of mind that theres at least something on it that will deter some of the lower scum. Though it's as they say, if they really want it, they'll just take it.
Ah. Ok. That's great, keeps the original key barrel. Nice. I can only guess that there is something amiss with the either the harness or the alarm. Do you have any lights or dash info when you turn the key? Or do you get nothing? It could be as simple as a blown fuse in he fuse block. Check them as well. Could have shorted something when they fiddled with the wires. Keep checking.
post #9 of 10 Old 08-02-2013, 12:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Ah. Ok. That's great, keeps the original key barrel. Nice. I can only guess that there is something amiss with the either the harness or the alarm. Do you have any lights or dash info when you turn the key? Or do you get nothing? It could be as simple as a blown fuse in he fuse block. Check them as well. Could have shorted something when they fiddled with the wires. Keep checking.
Aye, tis a lot simpler being able to keep the one key.
Noticed that when alarm sets the dash lights up as well as full lights and Indies so they're getting power. Gonna test input and output on the alarm when I take the rear end apart tomorrow. Gotta refit the ignition though at some point. Missed a little piece out meaning it's not quite as smooth.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-03-2013, 12:04 AM

Garage

Crack on then, let us know how it goes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page