97 cbr 900 rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 08-04-2013, 6:33 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

97 cbr 900 rr

Hi all new to the forum and honda motorcycles. Purchased a 97 cbr 900 rr with 27,xxx miles runs great and looks good to I love it.although not knowing much about the bike I have a few questions. The bike appears to be stock besides a yoshi muffler how do I tell if it has been rejetted it doesn't smoke pop crackle or anything like that so should i Be worried about rejetting? Also between idle and 4k I hear what sounds similar to a knock but can't hear it past 4k at all could this be the cam tensioner,or valves needing adjusting? I plan on having the valves adjusted anyway just for peace of mind and plugs replaced too. I would just like to get some opinions from honda guys to help me out. Any and all help is appreciated looking forward to getting this baby in the wind as much as possible thnx guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 08-04-2013, 7:14 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 36

Re: 97 cbr 900 rr

Congrats on the bike and welcome to the forum. Why don't ya go introduce yourself in the intro section.

I wouldn't worry bout jetting unless it acts up when at WOT.
Your like 4th person with rattles and noise under 4k rpm.
start digging back a week or so and there's many post on what to look at and for.
do a search or just click around. Many many threads with same issues.

Good luck.

And do that intro when you get a chance

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.

Last edited by 900rrHonda; 08-05-2013 at 2:05 AM.
post #3 of 11 Old 08-04-2013, 9:26 PM Thread Starter

ok I will do thnx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 08-04-2013, 9:54 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 757 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikew90 View Post
Hi all new to the forum and honda motorcycles. Purchased a 97 cbr 900 rr with 27,xxx miles runs great and looks good to I love it.although not knowing much about the bike I have a few questions. The bike appears to be stock besides a yoshi muffler how do I tell if it has been rejetted it doesn't smoke pop crackle or anything like that so should i Be worried about rejetting? Also between idle and 4k I hear what sounds similar to a knock but can't hear it past 4k at all could this be the cam tensioner,or valves needing adjusting? I plan on having the valves adjusted anyway just for peace of mind and plugs replaced too. I would just like to get some opinions from honda guys to help me out. Any and all help is appreciated looking forward to getting this baby in the wind as much as possible thnx guys
There are a few easy tell tale signs that a jet kit is installed. First is usually the air filter gets replaced with a K&N or similar. The fuel screws on the bottoms of the carbs will/may have the aluminum tamper cap removed (so you can turn the screws). And the if you pull the slides out of the carbs, the needle will have a significant double taper, as well as an adjustable clip. If its running with no backfiring or popping it sounds like its sorted out well then. Usually the fuel screws can be viewed with a mechanics mirror. Its more involved to get the tops of the carbs off to see the slides if you're a novice at that sort of thing. Service manual can help tons with that.. photos, etc. The low end knock does seem to be going around a lot lately as 900rrHonda said above. Some guys say normal, some guys say clutch basket rattle, some guys say cct, some guys ride it and don't care. Going out on a limb here and saying its probably ok, especially if it goes away above 4K. Anyhow, ,welcome and good luck!!
post #5 of 11 Old 08-04-2013, 11:08 PM Thread Starter

will check the carbs out it seems to be fine but just for peace of mind I would like to know I don't want the bike to get messed up over something like that you know I plan on trying the screwdriver. In the tensioner thong in the a.m. Hopefully that will sort out the low rpm rattle or knock whatever it is thanks you guys you all so far seem to be very helpful with your knowledge and I appreciate it
post #6 of 11 Old 08-05-2013, 2:12 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 36

Iv usually always heard cct rattle even up to 6k range and goes away. This under 4k rattle I wouldn't say is normal mine don't do it... but she will still ran just fine low rpm no noises but shes Lil jumpy for me to be in 4k rpm range speed limit has be 30mph and going thru small city so I try stay quiet. But other wise I never get under 5-6k range

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.
post #7 of 11 Old 08-05-2013, 2:13 PM Thread Starter

figured out what is making the noise or how to make it go away anyway if I pull the clutch in the noise. Stops what could this be the basket?
post #8 of 11 Old 08-05-2013, 2:51 PM
Pmb

Reputation Power: 11

Hi mike
97 CBRs? Great bikes or am I being biased!
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	454.8 KB
ID:	56615
post #9 of 11 Old 08-05-2013, 3:30 PM Thread Starter

nice bike pmb love the paint as soon as I figure how to post a pic of mine that will be the first thing I do
post #10 of 11 Old 08-05-2013, 3:36 PM
Pmb

Reputation Power: 11

Thanks. Bog standard apart from the 17" wheel. My clutch makes a similar noise. I believe it's common on Hondas (all my 600f's did it and I've hard 5 over the years!).
post #11 of 11 Old 08-05-2013, 3:59 PM Thread Starter

well that makes me feel better thought my new bike was knocking I am not as worried about it right now I may try to fix eventually but valve adjustment and plugs are more important at the moment

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page