03 954RR Rear Tire Chatter Please Help - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 08-04-2013, 11:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

03 954RR Rear Tire Chatter Please Help

Ok I just totally rebulit my 954 from the ground up. Last year my chain broke an bound up on front sprocket an blew tranny. So when I rebuilt I bought another motor to replace my old one. I put everything back to the way it was before. So now when I ride an I'm under hard acceleration an lift of throttle or tap rear brake I get a lot of rear tire chatter. It gets real hairy in the turns I gotta pull clutch in for it to stop. I pulled rear wheel check bearings, cush drive rubbers, sprocket, tire alignment everything. I don't get the wheel chatter I'm thinkin its the clutch. Anybody have any thoughts?? Please help before I wreck this thing in a turn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 08-04-2013, 11:47 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: 03 954RR Rear Tire Chatter Please Help

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd03rr View Post
Ok I just totally rebulit my 954 from the ground up. Last year my chain broke an bound up on front sprocket an blew tranny. So when I rebuilt I bought another motor to replace my old one. I put everything back to the way it was before. So now when I ride an I'm under hard acceleration an lift of throttle or tap rear brake I get a lot of rear tire chatter. It gets real hairy in the turns I gotta pull clutch in for it to stop. I pulled rear wheel check bearings, cush drive rubbers, sprocket, tire alignment everything. I don't get the wheel chatter I'm thinkin its the clutch. Anybody have any thoughts?? Please help before I wreck this thing in a turn.

Did you find out what caused the chain to break?
Is there any movement in the swingarm bearings?
Are all the spacers on the rear axle in the correct positions - particularly the sprocket carrier spacer and the bearing spacer inside the wheel?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 23 Old 08-04-2013, 11:55 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Did you find out what caused the chain to break?
Is there any movement in the swingarm bearings?
Are all the spacers on the rear axle in the correct positions - particularly the sprocket carrier spacer and the bearing spacer inside the wheel?
Yea bad link from a cheap chain. I just put in new swing arm bearings. I will have to check if the spacers are on the correct sides an dont have them reversed. Could those spacers if they were reversed really cause wheel chatter?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 1:58 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Yea bad link from a cheap chain. I just put in new swing arm bearings. I will have to check if the spacers are on the correct sides an dont have them reversed. Could those spacers if they were reversed really cause wheel chatter?

Do you mean this has only been a problem since you changed the swingarm bearings?
Did you have any trouble installing them or pulling the old ones?
If the spacers aren't right it could cause all sorts of problems, that's why I asked about them. If the sprocket carrier spacer or centre wheel spacer are missing or not correct then the wheel might be floating on the bearings.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 3:37 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Have we ruled out the possibility that the replacement motor is faulty in some respect to driveline backlash? I hope it's just a spacer issue as BladeRacer suggested. Let us know what you find.
post #6 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 6:57 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Do you mean this has only been a problem since you changed the swingarm bearings?
Did you have any trouble installing them or pulling the old ones?
If the spacers aren't right it could cause all sorts of problems, that's why I asked about them. If the sprocket carrier spacer or centre wheel spacer are missing or not correct then the wheel might be floating on the bearings.
Yes this problem arose as soon as the rebuild was complete. No problem with the swing arm bearings when we pulled them an reinstalled them we used a shop press to do them. So Im gonna look into the spacers an make sure i have them on the correct sides.
post #7 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 6:59 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
Have we ruled out the possibility that the replacement motor is faulty in some respect to driveline backlash? I hope it's just a spacer issue as BladeRacer suggested. Let us know what you find.
No what do you mean by that? Driveline backlash? Does that have something to do with the clucth or tranny? Could you please elaborate more an what you mean by driveline backlash. Thanks
post #8 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 7:13 AM

Reputation Power: 34

Usually I would say too much rear preload. The rebuild could be a red herring? Check the preload setting, my guess is it is on max but you're a lighter rider. Set it to factory. While you're in the area reset the dampers to factory settings to get a decent base line.
post #9 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 7:32 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
No what do you mean by that? Driveline backlash? Does that have something to do with the clucth or tranny? Could you please elaborate more an what you mean by driveline backlash. Thanks
That's what you feel when there is excessive play in the driveline. Like the dampers in the rear wheel when they wear out. The driveline gets sloppy. I'm used to calling it backlash. I was just wondering if the tranny/clutch items were in good condition and there are no issues INSIDE the replacement engine causing the chatter. Did you say it goes away when you pull the clutch in? That would lead me to believe it may be an internal issue.
post #10 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 8:26 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by amorti View Post
Usually I would say too much rear preload. The rebuild could be a red herring? Check the preload setting, my guess is it is on max but you're a lighter rider. Set it to factory. While you're in the area reset the dampers to factory settings to get a decent base line.
My first thought as well.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #11 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 9:02 AM

I wonder, could the new engine have had a slipper clutch fitted??
post #12 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 3:45 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I wonder, could the new engine have had a slipper clutch fitted??
Ummm doesnt a slipper clutch eliminate that?? Thats what I was told. Slipper clutches slip so you dont get wheel hop. Correcting me if Im wrong
post #13 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 3:49 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Red Herring?? Whats that? No Im not a light rider lol I weigh like 230. My suspension was soft, we thought that was the issue too so we cranked up the damper to stiffer an its still there. I just checked my spacers an they are on the correct sides. I will have to try setting it back to stock. Any body know what the stock settings are??
post #14 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 3:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
That's what you feel when there is excessive play in the driveline. Like the dampers in the rear wheel when they wear out. The driveline gets sloppy. I'm used to calling it backlash. I was just wondering if the tranny/clutch items were in good condition and there are no issues INSIDE the replacement engine causing the chatter. Did you say it goes away when you pull the clutch in? That would lead me to believe it may be an internal issue.
Yes it goes away when I pull clutch in thats why Im thinkin its clutch. Tranny seems good it shifts nice an smooth. Guess I should just say F it an replace clutch an cush rubbers huh??
post #15 of 23 Old 08-05-2013, 4:35 PM

Quote:
Red Herring?? Whats that? No Im not a light rider lol I weigh like 230. My suspension was soft, we thought that was the issue too so we cranked up the damper to stiffer an its still there. I just checked my spacers an they are on the correct sides. I will have to try setting it back to stock. Any body know what the stock settings are??
Put it back to stock. Your problem will go away.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page