R1 Regulator/Rectifier swap to solve the problem - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 Old 08-13-2013, 5:21 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

R1 Regulator/Rectifier swap to solve the problem

So my updated Honda Reg/Rec (the newer one with the fins) burnt out two monthes ago leaving me stranded. So I bought an RMStator reg/rec and yesterday it left me stranded 20 miles from home Wonderful, I've had enough with Honda rectifier problems so I just bought a new Yamaha R1 (98-01 style) Reg/Rec because as much as I hate to say it, Yamaha just makes a better rectifier lol I also bought the pigtail repair kit for it which includes a plug with all wires for 10 bucks! and it'll allow me to splice it right in, one ground, one hot, and 3 stator wires, my question is has anyone tried this swap before? did it solve the Honda woes?

"As i lay rubber down the street, i pray for traction i can keep, and if i slip and begin to slide, oh dear god protect my ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 08-13-2013, 5:44 PM

Reputation Power: 113

Re: R1 Regulator/Rectifier swap to solve the problem

Lots of people have switched to a MOSFET r/r with good results.

Some good info here: http://tinyurl.com/ctrpgum

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #3 of 16 Old 08-13-2013, 6:14 PM Thread Starter

Cool stuff, unfortunately I already ordered the r1 rectifier, if it goes out (please don't lol) ill try mosfet style

"As i lay rubber down the street, i pray for traction i can keep, and if i slip and begin to slide, oh dear god protect my ride!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 08-14-2013, 2:15 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 36

Just went thru this myself. Two stator 3 rectifiers and bout 5-6 batteries. mmmm Mmm mmmmmm my honda loves. Electrical parts...

But..... I did buy 18awg 200 celcius rated wire polyimidie? coated... the stator was 33 wraps on each pole. I rep wrapped it with 28 wraps each poles still get 12.4ish at idle and no higher then 14.30ish when high revs.
I also bought that 130.00 mosfet shindengen regulator rectifier.
don't think I needed it after I wrapped my stator but everyone says its way to go..

My stator when hot would create more power for whatever reason and melt my regulators got stranded twice then read the editorial here on rewinding stator it was very helpful. Ill post update there after few thousand miles but all is great so far

Btw I thought bout buying R1 rectifier or heard gsxr1000 had good one also? But never saw forsure they were working so I bit the bullet And forked over the 130$ for damn mosfet

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.
post #5 of 16 Old 08-14-2013, 4:27 AM

Reputation Power: 18

Good info..keep update to see the professional can solve and do it perfect..

HONDA's problem is the electronice things and rectifier since 2000 CBR929rr to 06 CBR1000rr, RC51...if I can use YAMAHA R1 recifier that would be good...
post #6 of 16 Old 08-14-2013, 9:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hung View Post
Good info..keep update to see the professional can solve and do it perfect..

HONDA's problem is the electronice things and rectifier since 2000 CBR929rr to 06 CBR1000rr, RC51...if I can use YAMAHA R1 recifier that would be good...
You most definitely can use an r1 rectifier, the Honda blackbird guys do it all the time, I'm just wondering how long it'll last on Hondas all time best rectifier eating machine lol all you need is the 5 wire pigtail and splice it in place 3 yellow power, 1 ground, 1 DC power

post #7 of 16 Old 08-14-2013, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatBlackBlade View Post
You most definitely can use an r1 rectifier, the Honda blackbird guys do it all the time, I'm just wondering how long it'll last on Hondas all time best rectifier eating machine lol all you need is the 5 wire pigtail and splice it in place 3 yellow power, 1 ground, 1 DC power

Can you specific more detail about it,,which year YAMAHA R1 rectifier and how to do wire connect?
post #8 of 16 Old 08-14-2013, 11:12 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Can you specific more detail about it,,which year YAMAHA R1 rectifier and how to do wire connect?
You use the 98-01 R1 rectifier and the pigtail of wires for it, they sell a 9 dollar wire kit for it on ebay and a rectifier is like 35 man

post #9 of 16 Old 08-23-2013, 12:07 PM Thread Starter

So for an Update, one week and it's working awesome, also seems to cool much better!

post #10 of 16 Old 08-23-2013, 5:56 PM

Hi Buddy

How do you guys know which is yellow(is that just under done side paralle? ) and which wire is DC, which is ground?

If anyone can help, please add one pics, really appreciate
post #11 of 16 Old 08-25-2013, 10:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Hi Buddy

How do you guys know which is yellow(is that just under done side paralle? ) and which wire is DC, which is ground?

If anyone can help, please add one pics, really appreciate
If your bike is carbbed, 93-97, than there will be 5 wires, 3 yellows which are all interchangeable, order doesn't matter, a green which is your ground, and a red which is your DC power out. the yellows are incoming power, than It gets converted and there is one 12v line of DC power coming out to the rest of the bike (red wire) hope that helps.

post #12 of 16 Old 09-06-2013, 1:49 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 36

Hows it holding up? How many miles service has it endured so far

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.
post #13 of 16 Old 10-13-2013, 11:30 PM Thread Starter

UPDATE!: So I've had the 98-01 R1 style rectifier on for about 2500 miles and it just finally burnt out Its crappy, but its done a lot better than the Honda rectifiers (time bombs) that I was using, so I guess 30 bucks for an ebay rectifier every 2500 miles or so is alright I'm a daily rider, some people only do that in a season so its probably fine, im just going to carry a spare.

post #14 of 16 Old 10-14-2013, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatBlackBlade View Post
If your bike is carbbed, 93-97, than there will be 5 wires, 3 yellows which are all interchangeable, order doesn't matter, a green which is your ground, and a red which is your DC power out. the yellows are incoming power, than It gets converted and there is one 12v line of DC power coming out to the rest of the bike (red wire) hope that helps.
The modification will go on 2001 CBR929rr, don't know if its fit?
post #15 of 16 Old 10-14-2013, 10:20 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
The modification will go on 2001 CBR929rr, don't know if its fit?
Your bike is EFI (refer to my other post) you'll need a newer R1 style rectifier, the 98-01 style is a 3 hot wire, 1 power out, 1 ground style for carbed bikes, things with EFI will use a newer rectifier and you'll have to get a cheap wiring pigtail or use spade lug connectors. most any rectifier can be made to fit through wiring.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page