929 shaaaaakkkkkeeeess... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 1:00 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 shaaaaakkkkkeeeess...

I've had this steadily increasing vibration from the 9. I've check just about everything that I can think of. Not sure what's causing it. I do remember some vibration since I purchased it but seems to be getting worse. Bike has about 10.2K on it now. New tires, chain, sprokets. Still running factory clipon's. I didn't notice any real increase after changing anything (tires and chain just got done a few K ago). It's bad enough that it vibrates my oil filter loose sometimes I've since safety wired it but it still virates pretty good.

I've done some tests on the highway buy running the bike up to say 80 or 90 in different gears and as the rev's increase, so do the vibs (ya I know). If I pull the clutch in it basically goes away so that kinda rules out wheel balance (though, there are no weights on the wheels) and chain/driveline issues. I was told by the shop, the wheels balanced out fine (not sure I believe that). Running new diablo corsas. Wondering if maybe it's a cam chain tensioner or something internally.

Even my friends that have ridden it say it vibrates like a truck. I've lost a clutch lever bolt too. Anyone have any ideas? Bike has never been down. Not raced. No wheelies. Perfect running condition. Stumped....

On a side note, my friends 636 and anothers gsxr 1K are both near sewing machine smooth. Not sure if there is something up in there.

Thankx,
Eric....

Last edited by BigDawg; 03-09-2004 at 1:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 1:04 PM
Administrator

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 47

Re: 929 shaaaaakkkkkeeeess...

I would definitely get both wheels balanced (and watch the mechanic to make sure it's done properly) to see if that's the source of the vibes. I can't believe that neither wheel needed any weights...

"It is better to post and risk reposting than to have never posted at all."

post #3 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 1:33 PM

If it 'goes away' with the clutch pulled in, I'd take a good look at the clutch. Is your bike affected by the recall for clutch baskets?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 1:42 PM

How's your chain lube, chain adjustment, and sprocket(s) condition?

post #5 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 1:46 PM

Reputation Power: 50

Dude, don't ride it if you're losing parts off it. Especially crucial ones like an oil filter.
post #6 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 1:51 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
How's your chain lube, chain adjustment, and sprocket(s) condition?
Chain is new. DID ERV2. Lube is good and it's adjusted well. Maybe slightly on the loose side now. Have yet to make an adjustment for chain stretch. Maybe ~500mi on it... Afam sprockets on there. New as well. 520 kit from Dan. I'm not sure about the rear wheel alignment though. Think it might be off slightly. I think my marks on the swingarm are off some cocking the wheel in the swingarm. Need to check that somehow. Going to try to measure from some common spot on the frame and see if it lines up.

All recalls done (just two right)? I have to two center punch marks on the frame. What bothers me is I had this vibration even before I changes the tires and those were balanced....

Not sure. Going to get the wheels balanced but I would assume running at speed with the clutch pulled in, I should still feel it, yes? Goes away....
post #7 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 1:53 PM

Rear wheel alignment will cause the shakes.

post #8 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 1:53 PM

Could there be a warped pressure plate/clutch disk in there?
post #9 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 2:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by luvtolean
Rear wheel alignment will cause the shakes.
What is the best way to make sure it's aligned parallel to the swingarm/frame? I don't have much confidence in the markings. Another thing I noticed, my rear tire looks to buil more heat on the right side (looking from the rear). I tend to get more "scuffing" on that side. Tire just looks more shagged on that side and that is the side away from the crown of the road. Wondering if it's alignment related as well. I can't physically see it being out (looks dead on). Chain line is straight (appears to be) and the markings on the swingarm are dead on.

Thankx...
post #10 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 2:27 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg
What is the best way to make sure it's aligned parallel to the swingarm/frame? I don't have much confidence in the markings. Another thing I noticed, my rear tire looks to buil more heat on the right side (looking from the rear). I tend to get more "scuffing" on that side. Tire just looks more shagged on that side and that is the side away from the crown of the road. Wondering if it's alignment related as well. I can't physically see it being out (looks dead on). Chain line is straight (appears to be) and the markings on the swingarm are dead on.

Thankx...
Use this method to make sure the rear wheel is lined up:
https://www.fireblades.org/kb/index.p...2&id=12&c=root
post #11 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 2:28 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ND4SPD
Could there be a warped pressure plate/clutch disk in there?
I'm pretty easy on the clutch. Still original. Not sure. It feels solid and smooth with no binding or catching. Release is nice and smooth too.

It's due for an oil change anyway. Maybe it's worth pulling the case cover off and taking a peak? Not sure how tough the clutch is in these. Haven't heard of anyone having issues since the recall.

Any issues with CCT's with the 929/954? Haven't heard of any but I know the F4i had some issues....?????
post #12 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 2:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDawg
I'm pretty easy on the clutch. Still original. Not sure. It feels solid and smooth with no binding or catching. Release is nice and smooth too.

It's due for an oil change anyway. Maybe it's worth pulling the case cover off and taking a peak? Not sure how tough the clutch is in these. Haven't heard of anyone having issues since the recall.

Any issues with CCT's with the 929/954? Haven't heard of any but I know the F4i had some issues....?????
A good way to check the clutch is to free-rev your engine to 11,000rpm. If it steadily moves forward, it's fine. If it's jerky/jumpy something isn't right.

j/k
post #13 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 2:38 PM

Reputation Power: 25

I agree that if the rear wheel is misaligned, you might see the symptoms you described. Under power, the shudder might show. While not under power, you could just see it lose extra speed while coasting, but with out the shudder. The more scuffed wear on one side is certainly a stand out symptom. That is unusual.

Did your old tire show that one-sided scuffing at all? How many rears have you run though so far? When checking alignment, are you just checking to the swingarm pivot? Maybe you should check all the way up the the front wheel. Maybe the frame has a problem? Was it dropped before you owned it at all? Could there be a problem with the swingarm bearings? Can you suspend it so the swingarm is dangling and check for freeplay?

BTW, the chain alignment markings on my 929 do seem to measure out as accurate. I suppose your's could be different.
post #14 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 2:57 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippy
I agree that if the rear wheel is misaligned, you might see the symptoms you described. Under power, the shudder might show. While not under power, you could just see it lose extra speed while coasting, but with out the shudder. The more scuffed wear on one side is certainly a stand out symptom. That is unusual.

Did your old tire show that one-sided scuffing at all? How many rears have you run though so far? When checking alignment, are you just checking to the swingarm pivot? Maybe you should check all the way up the the front wheel. Maybe the frame has a problem? Was it dropped before you owned it at all? Could there be a problem with the swingarm bearings? Can you suspend it so the swingarm is dangling and check for freeplay?

BTW, the chain alignment markings on my 929 do seem to measure out as accurate. I suppose your's could be different.
That was my thinking on the rear. Maybe it's causing some problems. Old tire looked fine (same method). Ahhhh,,,, maybe the 3rd rear. 010's prior to the diablo corsa. Frame should be fine. Never dropped. Got it with 2800mi on it and it was mint. Have to check the swingarm. Haven't heard of any issues with bearings there and mines a pretty low miler but I honestly haven't checked. The rear wheel is dead center with those marks on the swingarm right now. I spent like 20min last time checking to make sure is was "centered"...

Somethings up. It's gotten worse over time. It was smooth when I got it. No warrenty either and my local shop (most shops in the area) are noobs so not figuring they will have a clue...
post #15 of 19 Old 03-09-2004, 3:19 PM
Supporting Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 27

Garage

Check simple things too, like engine mount bolts. Heck I had my '95 in for service once and they left the little vibration isolation pads off my fuel tank (the same part someone was asking about the other day) and when a certain frequency/rpm was hit the vibration was unimaginable.

Life always looks better through bugs on a face shield.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page