For all you reg/rec experts... - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 09-03-2013, 11:38 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 25

For all you reg/rec experts...

Ok,

So I was on a Superhawk forum and there I found a list of regulator/rectifiers that are compatible to the Superhawk. I figured if it would work for one Honda, it would work for another....

So I bought a unit from a 2007 Ninja ZX-6R. Apparently this unit is MOSFET and is "cut and splice" to the Superhawk. Perfect, I think.

The unit came in the mail today, and there is an extra wire!!! Oh ****. So, I download a wiring diagram and trace the wire to the signal side of the headlight relay...you know, the side that sends the current through the coil to close the relay and supply. I traced this wire back further to the 30A main fuse. Looking at the wiring diagram, it LOOKS like this extra black wire (which is at least half the size of the rest of the wires) ties in directly to one of the alternator outputs BEFORE it goes into the R/R! WTF?

Check out the diagram and the pics...

The white wire (bk/bl on the R/R) goes directly to the 30A main fuse to the battery, the fuse block, and the ignition switch. The black/yellow (bk/w) goes to ground. My question is what do I do with the green (bk on r/r) wire? Do I wire this into a relay? do I ignore it? You can see in the pics of the r/r that all the wires go into the R/R....

Do MOSFET R/Rs have a signal from the ignition to turn on?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 09-04-2013, 12:55 AM

Reputation Power: 36

Re: For all you reg/rec experts...

Err I dunno what kawi had going with that? I could only guess.
But for use on a honda should work. Just delete that connection from stator wire to harness you said kawi used for headlight and stuff . Honda doesnt run that way, all power runs thru r/r then to main fuse, Then else where.

No a mosfet don't have. On off signal wire or anything. Well mine didn't I installed.

Keep us updated on your install

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.
post #3 of 23 Old 09-04-2013, 4:23 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrman View Post
Ok,

So I was on a Superhawk forum and there I found a list of regulator/rectifiers that are compatible to the Superhawk. I figured if it would work for one Honda, it would work for another....

So I bought a unit from a 2007 Ninja ZX-6R. Apparently this unit is MOSFET and is "cut and splice" to the Superhawk. Perfect, I think.

The unit came in the mail today, and there is an extra wire!!! Oh ****. So, I download a wiring diagram and trace the wire to the signal side of the headlight relay...you know, the side that sends the current through the coil to close the relay and supply. I traced this wire back further to the 30A main fuse. Looking at the wiring diagram, it LOOKS like this extra black wire (which is at least half the size of the rest of the wires) ties in directly to one of the alternator outputs BEFORE it goes into the R/R! WTF?

Check out the diagram and the pics...

The white wire (bk/bl on the R/R) goes directly to the 30A main fuse to the battery, the fuse block, and the ignition switch. The black/yellow (bk/w) goes to ground. My question is what do I do with the green (bk on r/r) wire? Do I wire this into a relay? do I ignore it? You can see in the pics of the r/r that all the wires go into the R/R....

Do MOSFET R/Rs have a signal from the ignition to turn on?

Maybe ask on that forum if they're the ones assuring you it will work?
Does the bike run any AC components?
It says ZX6 rather than ZX6R on the regulator - maybe it's a ZZR unit?
What is that wiring diagram from? I don't recall ever seeing one with that wiring setup.
Honda would be a green ground.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 09-04-2013 at 6:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 09-04-2013, 9:33 AM Thread Starter

The diagram is for the 07 ZX6R. I saw on another forum that the wire is a signal wire for the headlights to come on after the bike is running, which makes sense if it is branched off the alternator wire...but the A/C current doesn't jive with the rest of the system.
post #5 of 23 Old 09-04-2013, 9:45 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrman View Post
The diagram is for the 07 ZX6R. I saw on another forum that the wire is a signal wire for the headlights to come on after the bike is running, which makes sense if it is branched off the alternator wire...but the A/C current doesn't jive with the rest of the system.

In that case the AC voltage probably passes through a diode before reaching any of the electrical components?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 23 Old 09-04-2013, 10:04 AM

So don't even worry about trying to hook that wire that way it is just run. The thee power from stator to reg and power ground from reg to battery fuse.
dunno what kawi was smoking with the power used straight from stator that's a/c power vs needing the d/c power. But blade is prob right may have. Diode of some sort to swap it over

Rubber side down, One wheel to the sky for those who we won't forget. R.I.P homies miss you.
post #7 of 23 Old 09-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rrHonda View Post
So don't even worry about trying to hook that wire that way it is just run. The thee power from stator to reg and power ground from reg to battery fuse.
dunno what kawi was smoking with the power used straight from stator that's a/c power vs needing the d/c power. But blade is prob right may have. Diode of some sort to swap it over

It looks similar to how cars are usually wired, they also take the signal directly from the stator.
Yep, I definately would not connect that third stator wire to the bike, just leave it running into the rectifier.

post #8 of 23 Old 09-05-2013, 1:06 AM Thread Starter

Cool. I'll hook it all up tomorrow and see if the bike catches fire....LOL!

Here is the headlight relay from the wiring diagram. The wire from the reg/rec is the green wire here...

So, blade once again you are right...the current hits a diode before going into the relay...
post #9 of 23 Old 09-05-2013, 4:26 AM

But isn't that for the kawi? And its going on the honda? So holds no relevance other than kawi is weird lol
Good to know for future reference tho, I didn't know they did that.

Let us no how the install goes. Should be easy. No fires should happen lol atleast I would hope not

post #10 of 23 Old 09-05-2013, 9:15 AM Thread Starter

Exactly. That 6th wire is to turn on the headlights on the Kawi. So I'll just ignore it.
post #11 of 23 Old 09-07-2013, 9:46 PM Thread Starter

OK. Got it all installed today...and after blowing the main fuse, all is good. FYI, blk/white is ground and blk/blue is +ve...oops.

So, here we go...Ideally I would like a better mounting place, but I'm thinking of making some vents in the track plastic allow some air in.

And with the tail on...

And here is the TINY stock unit in the stock location...

post #12 of 23 Old 09-08-2013, 2:32 AM

So have you tested it and get good volt numbers.

See its on a track bike. Lets us know how it holds up to the conditions

post #13 of 23 Old 09-23-2013, 1:17 AM Thread Starter

I tested the reg/rec today. 14.76 volts at idle and 14.83 at 5k rpm. I'm calling that a win.
post #14 of 23 Old 09-23-2013, 1:30 AM

Seems like the reg is already working hard to keep volt down even at idle. Since its already 14+ volts idleing.
Hope she holds up for ya! :-)

Keep us updated.

post #15 of 23 Old 09-23-2013, 1:36 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 900rrHonda View Post
Seems like the reg is already working hard to keep volt down even at idle. Since its already 14+ volts idleing.
Hope she holds up for ya! :-)

Keep us updated.

That's what it should be making, the battery still needs charging at idle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page