potential 954 purchase - but a few electricals maybe? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-04-2013, 1:06 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

potential 954 purchase - but a few electricals maybe?

Hello Fireblade org!

yep new here - first post... I'm based in HK an been riding aroun this island for a good few years... main road bike is a Hornet 600 ( 599 in the states ) got her geared up for more accelaration.. top speed not so important here!

when eve I can I get out into the jungle here an roost up some dirt - dodge the snakes / boar and monkeys.... got an old 2stroke I rebuilt this year.. 1st go at it - frankly amazed it run after I had a crack at it

anyways I seen a 954 - got high miles - 100,000 K

rode it today - seemed great! ( altho I wanna put street bars on - feels a bit weird with the clip ons )

*BUT* ----> it does seem to have a few electrical issue.

1st - he said it wasnt runnin right- and it turns out he had the ECU replaced last week...

is that common on the blade?

2nd - the speedo dont work - he said it took 5 mins for it to start workin - i guess I rode it for near 5 mins in the rain.. but no sign of life..

are these ok or a sign of more stuff to come? -- ( could be a reg/rec issue?)

anyways - thats me hello from HK - hope that wasnt the longest 1st port ever!

Hong Kong Expat from UK.

98 hornet 600 ( 599 ? )
96 CRM 250 ( riing ding ding ding! )
01 yamaha TW 200 ( yeh that's the wife's bike )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-09-2013, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

Re: potential 954 purchase - but a few electricals maybe?

am I writing in invisible ink?

guy has got back to me - he's leaving town. and has reduced bice drastically! less than half what he was askin for!

but that makes me worried - he says he's going back to australia so needs to sell up!

so if a bike has had an ECU prob does that mean it might have it again? is it caused by corroded wires? and the Reg/rec having problems?

apparently the speedo not working is a sign of dirty connectors perhaps..

any hints?

or should I walk away from this ? ( it looks lovely! )

Hong Kong Expat from UK.

98 hornet 600 ( 599 ? )
post #3 of 8 Old 09-09-2013, 12:43 PM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 128 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

I would say it depends on how much he is asking compared to how much they normally go for in the area. The clocks not working could be the ECU, the clock itself, or a wiring problem. The R/R and stators are known issues with Hondas, and the grounding blocks seem to foul up fast. Could even just be a grounding issue =)

How much is he asking, and how much do they normally go for? Did she run good despite the issues (motor sound good?)

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 09-09-2013, 1:23 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrambler View Post
Hello Fireblade org!

yep new here - first post... I'm based in HK an been riding aroun this island for a good few years... main road bike is a Hornet 600 ( 599 in the states ) got her geared up for more accelaration.. top speed not so important here!

when eve I can I get out into the jungle here an roost up some dirt - dodge the snakes / boar and monkeys.... got an old 2stroke I rebuilt this year.. 1st go at it - frankly amazed it run after I had a crack at it

anyways I seen a 954 - got high miles - 100,000 K

rode it today - seemed great! ( altho I wanna put street bars on - feels a bit weird with the clip ons )

*BUT* ----> it does seem to have a few electrical issue.

1st - he said it wasnt runnin right- and it turns out he had the ECU replaced last week...

is that common on the blade?

2nd - the speedo dont work - he said it took 5 mins for it to start workin - i guess I rode it for near 5 mins in the rain.. but no sign of life..

are these ok or a sign of more stuff to come? -- ( could be a reg/rec issue?)

anyways - thats me hello from HK - hope that wasnt the longest 1st port ever!

1. Is what common, electrical issues or replacing the ECU?
Electrical issues are common due to the crap Honda charging system. Other fairly common electrical issues are the HVIX servo motor failing and the ground block in the harness comming apart. As for the ECU it's rare for them to simply fail, usually impact, water or heat results in problems - as would be expected. Do you have HISS on the bikes where you are?
2. Hard to guess, could be all sorts of things. Is the speed sensor connected?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 8 Old 09-09-2013, 1:26 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
am I writing in invisible ink?

guy has got back to me - he's leaving town. and has reduced bice drastically! less than half what he was askin for!

but that makes me worried - he says he's going back to australia so needs to sell up!

so if a bike has had an ECU prob does that mean it might have it again? is it caused by corroded wires? and the Reg/rec having problems?

apparently the speedo not working is a sign of dirty connectors perhaps..

any hints?

or should I walk away from this ? ( it looks lovely! )

Depends on what caused the problem. If that still exists then yes, you would expect to have similar problems.
No idea. Without knowing what the problems are caused by it's impossible to put a value on them.
The fact that the bike runs and rides fine are certainly in its favour.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 8 Old 09-09-2013, 1:48 PM Thread Starter

thanks guys..

he was asking HK$ 35000 for the bike - which is the goin rate here kind of... but this one got 100,000 on the clock so maybe a bit high side - but they are rare here. since there was a bit spate of bike thefts a few years back....

yes we have HISS here.

we discussed HK$ 25,000 - an I liked the guy an I in no rush - so I said try get more then come back to me.. ( cos I have to get this past the missus who is about to give birth to twins nex month much easier if its a 'bargain' )

he come back to me a few days later and said he had trouble starting it

( for my hornet from cold no gas an then add choke when it fires- same for blade ??? cos I will go an do a cold start on it tomorrow or day after to see if/ how much it rattles about? )

he's dropped price to HK$ 15,000 - which is jaw dropping good price - but.......

looks like he rides in the rain which is fine cos I plan to do that too,, and a bit dirty around the headstock -lower clamp area - this could explain the speedo - but not sure on the starting issue?

BTW the bike sounded awesome an pulled really nicely compared to my hornet 599 has a short exhaust on an is pretty loud - but sounds healthy!

so mixed feelings on this one.. ( i will have to sell my very reliable Hornet 599 to 'refund' this purchase.

Hong Kong Expat from UK.

98 hornet 600 ( 599 ? )
post #7 of 8 Old 09-09-2013, 1:54 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
thanks guys..

he was asking HK$ 35000 for the bike - which is the goin rate here kind of... but this one got 100,000 on the clock so maybe a bit high side - but they are rare here. since there was a bit spate of bike thefts a few years back....

yes we have HISS here.

we discussed HK$ 25,000 - an I liked the guy an I in no rush - so I said try get more then come back to me.. ( cos I have to get this past the missus who is about to give birth to twins nex month much easier if its a 'bargain' )

he come back to me a few days later and said he had trouble starting it

( for my hornet from cold no gas an then add choke when it fires- same for blade ??? cos I will go an do a cold start on it tomorrow or day after to see if/ how much it rattles about? )

he's dropped price to HK$ 15,000 - which is jaw dropping good price - but.......

looks like he rides in the rain which is fine cos I plan to do that too,, and a bit dirty around the headstock -lower clamp area - this could explain the speedo - but not sure on the starting issue?

BTW the bike sounded awesome an pulled really nicely compared to my hornet 599 has a short exhaust on an is pretty loud - but sounds healthy!

so mixed feelings on this one.. ( i will have to sell my very reliable Hornet 599 to 'refund' this purchase.

Replacing the ECU could be a hint that the bike is stolen. If he didn't have a key to the bike he would've needed to get a HISS ECU with matching key to be able to start the bike.
Depends on what he meant by "difficult to start", it doesn't tell us much. Electrical or fuel problem?
The 954 is injected, all you do is press the starter button, the starter valves control the cold start.
I would hang onto the Hornet until you determine what the problems are and whether they're worth fixing, then sell whichever one you want to keep.

post #8 of 8 Old 09-10-2013, 10:09 AM Thread Starter

hey thanks... dont think its stolen - most stolen bikes here end up on a boat to taiwan or china,.. an this guy must be on a packet as he flies jumbo's for Cathaypacific..

injected? DOH ofcourse - I never had a bike made this century can u tell?!!!

he texted me today saying there's no problem with the bike now.. gonna have another look on fri..

thanks - replies appreciated!!!

Hong Kong Expat from UK.

98 hornet 600 ( 599 ? )

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page