Buying an 01 929 need some advice - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 Old 09-05-2013, 11:12 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Buying an 01 929 need some advice

The bike I'm looking at needs some work it needs one of the fairings replaced a turn signal and a mirror a I think he said something about the brakes to the bike has 25xxx miles on it he wants 3500 for I think that's to high for the work that needs done what do you guys think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 09-05-2013, 11:17 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Buying an 01 929 need some advice

Quote:
Originally Posted by ss27gogeta View Post
The bike I'm looking at needs some work it needs one of the fairings replaced a turn signal and a mirror a I think he said something about the brakes to the bike has 25xxx miles on it he wants 3500 for I think that's to high for the work that needs done what do you guys think

Seems high to me if it needs work, but without knowing exactly what needs doing it's impossible to say.
What's wrong with the brakes?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 6 Old 09-05-2013, 11:18 AM

I agree. $3500. is about average for a 01 929 in good shape. By the time you do repairs to bring it to "good shape", you're probably going to be into it for a lot more than $3500. Itemize repairs and low ball him....

Mileage????
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 09-05-2013, 11:24 AM Thread Starter

I Dont mind doing the work on it but want a fair price for the condition I was thinking more like 2500-2800 and I'll ask him about the brakes when I go to work today I work with the guy that's selling
post #5 of 6 Old 09-05-2013, 5:59 PM

Reputation Power: 17

That's about what I paid for mine and a few months after, I know that 2700 would have done the deal, still love the bike though, but I regret the price.

Rorschach!
post #6 of 6 Old 09-06-2013, 9:06 AM

Reputation Power: 11

Mine is MINT but it needed work to bring it up to speed. Here is what you will probably need. but of course if the guy has maintence records you may be able to skip some of it.

oil/filter - cheap insurance and you probably have no idea when it was done last

Brakes on the front - not real expensive might i suggest EBC HH mine needed them at 21k first brake job it ever had besides fluid flushes

Brake fluid change - not expensive but you might as well but on some braided lines when you do that. lines run you about 150 for a complete set

Air filter - cheap and easy go with stock. around 30 bucks

tires - see how old they are and what they look like mine were almost new

chain/sprocket - mine looks perfect all original but my dad rode it VERY easy

plugs - 5.49 each going to do that when i have the valves checked

valve check - can be pricey if you dont use an independent mechanic like im going to do

rear shock - mine was TOAST! 800 dollar elka custom shock solved this and I put it on myself

fork fluid change at the very least - seems not many people if any do this. i will be having mine done with a race tech spring and rebuild kit to match my riding style and weight. but you should at least dump the oil and put some synthetic in there.

battery - mine was replaced at 21k. just fyi

cosmetically mine was mint but i did replace the grips which were getting worn out. best 20 bucks i probably spent.

when i changed the factory exhaust... the header bolts were basically finger tight. so with that amount of miles you probably want to check a few bolts here and there.

any other advice you need just let us know. as you can see the bill for bringing the bike back up to safe and reliable standards can run you some coin. i cant tell you if that price is worth it or not. thats something you need to decide but i can at least tell ya what you looking at needing with the year and miles on the bike. everything else on my bike seems great. no clutch issues or engine noises from the cam chain currently. but like i said... i knew who owned it and i knew how it was ridden. barely ever red lined and never wheelied except for small power wheelies when too much throttle was used. but never wheelied intentionally.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page