Clunking in 1st with clutch in - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 3:04 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Clunking in 1st with clutch in

Need some insight please.
The RRP has started to clunk - the same kind of clunk you get when you've lost the gear youre in while changing with the clutch in so you release it a bit and 'clunk'. However this clunk happens now when I'm in first with the clutch held in. Happens about a second apart about 4-5 times. I release the clutch and it pulls away fine. If i stop, change back to first, hold clutch in same thing happens. Not all the time tho, mainly when engine is hot.
Additional notes: i have a Barnett clutch. Engine was very low on oil recently not sure if it coincides. Changing down from second through neutral to first has always been a bit crunchy on this bike. Clutch rattles a bit. I've just had new tyres fitted/chain adjusted too.
Any ideas what this could be? TIA.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 3:19 PM Thread Starter

Re: Clunking in 1st with clutch in

ok think chain is too tight. Just noticed hardly any play in it and the chain is clicking on front sprocket when i pull clutch in. Sound right
???
post #3 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 3:56 PM
Pmb

Reputation Power: 11

My 97 RRV clunks into first with the clutch in and makes the usual rumble with the clutch out. I don't think any of the Hondas I've owned have been particularly smooth or slick selecting first gear.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 09-05-2013, 5:52 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. Had the back wheel out looks like it might be sprocket/cush drive alignment. Going to take it to a mates garage tomorrow.
post #5 of 5 Old 09-14-2013, 6:10 AM Thread Starter

I took the plates out and the inner ones were completely dry and 'stuck' against each other. The beveled edges of the plates were a little worn and where they sit in the basked it also showing signs of wear. All I can think is the plates aren't moving freely. I rubbed down the edges of each to make sure they are smooth and covered them in oil when I put them back in. Seemed ok for a bit but its started doing it again today.Do you think it's worth soaking the plates in oil? Might be related to the fact I had very low oil for a few weeks?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page