Bad starter or relay - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 Old 10-03-2013, 11:34 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Bad starter or relay

Rode my bike to work as usual. Started her up after work, warmed it up, Rode half a mile to the gas station. Went to start her up and nothing. The lights are on, fuel pump primes but its like the starter is totally dead. No normal clicking noise or anything. Checked all connections on the battery, starter, switch's, kickstand... nothing worked. I keep checking and checking and eventually the bike starts and i ride home. Thinking that maybe the battery was dead, i hook up to a car battery and still nothing but it basically dark so i gave up for the night. I get up the next morning and it fires right up. I turn it off and it starts back up immediately. I ride to work, turn it off and again nothing. I come back out at lunch and it fires right up. Turn it off and it starts back up again. I come out for the end of the night to go home, fires right up. I ride home, turn it off and again Nothing. I once again think maybe some connections could be bad. No loose wires, kickstand nothing works. I bring out the car again to possible check the battery and the connections to the battery and still nothing. I keep trying and trying until eventually it starts up. I ride around the block come back, turn it off and again nothing. So now I just keep trying it every so often without making any changes to anything. When the bike gets below 140, It will start no problem. Anything about 142-145, nothing.
I've seen something like this happen with a starter on a car, but i'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue or can provide some type of input as to what could be causing this as it seem to be temp and starter related.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 10-03-2013, 11:56 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Bad starter or relay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoadi96 View Post
Rode my bike to work as usual. Started her up after work, warmed it up, Rode half a mile to the gas station. Went to start her up and nothing. The lights are on, fuel pump primes but its like the starter is totally dead. No normal clicking noise or anything. Checked all connections on the battery, starter, switch's, kickstand... nothing worked. I keep checking and checking and eventually the bike starts and i ride home. Thinking that maybe the battery was dead, i hook up to a car battery and still nothing but it basically dark so i gave up for the night. I get up the next morning and it fires right up. I turn it off and it starts back up immediately. I ride to work, turn it off and again nothing. I come back out at lunch and it fires right up. Turn it off and it starts back up again. I come out for the end of the night to go home, fires right up. I ride home, turn it off and again Nothing. I once again think maybe some connections could be bad. No loose wires, kickstand nothing works. I bring out the car again to possible check the battery and the connections to the battery and still nothing. I keep trying and trying until eventually it starts up. I ride around the block come back, turn it off and again nothing. So now I just keep trying it every so often without making any changes to anything. When the bike gets below 140, It will start no problem. Anything about 142-145, nothing.
I've seen something like this happen with a starter on a car, but i'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue or can provide some type of input as to what could be causing this as it seem to be temp and starter related.

If the fuel pump primes then I'd be looking at the starter button and circuit to the starter solenoid. Also check the ground strap to the engine and that you have continuity between engine and battery negative.
I assume that if you short across the starter solenoid she fires up just fine?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page