Bike died while running, fuel pump wont prime - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 1:23 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Bike died while running, fuel pump wont prime

So my bike is currently sitting in a parking lot because I have no way of getting it home tonight which really sucks. A few weeks ago once in a great while when I turned on the run switch I wouldnt hear the fuel pump priming noise, but the bike would start. I even turned the bike off and restarted the process and the fuel pump would prime no problem. This happened a few times. Then recently I noticed my gas light is very unreliable. Sometimes it would have no gas and the light wouldnt come on until the last minute, or the light woudl come on around the mileage it normally does, but quickly go off and not come back on until the tank was near empty again.

So tonight I go to the store, come out and the bike starts up fine (been driving all week including today). Then maybe 100 feet later the bike just stalls out and dies while I was moving. After that I could no longer get the bike to start back up. I even tried to push start it multiple times (no luck). The fuel pump would not prime again after MANY attempts. As I was pulling into the store I did notice the bike started to get a little choppy, I thought maybe I was low on gas again because I was past the normal mileage the light comes on, but could still hear gas in the tank. I had the wife bring me gas just to make sure that wasnt the case also.

I am thinking about jsut pulling the trigger on a new fuel pump, but would hate to waste the money. Are there any quick checks I can do before that this weekend. The problem is I am in school and this semester is literally taking up all my time studying and doing homework, so I dont have much time to trouble shoot. I also cant afford to shotgun too many parts that are not bad.

01 929
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 1:33 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage
Re: Bike died while running, fuel pump wont prime

I would start by checking all fuses and the grounding blocks throughout the entire bike. There are many times with the 929s and 954s that a suspected electrical problem or bad part was nothing more than a corroded ground. That would be the logical first step, best part of it- it's free to do, just takes some time to dig to all the grounds! Get that done first, if you still have no luck we'll go from there.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #3 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 2:57 AM

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 198

There's a bunch of other thing it could be besides the fuel pump. I'd try some other things first.
Check your main 30 amp fuse.
Could be a relay going out too. The ones to check are your fuel pump relay and your bank angle relay. You can swap your high beam relay into them to test. I'd do the fuel pump relay first, turn the key and listen. If nothing, swap it with the bank angle relay and try again.
Then, as stated above start checking connections, like battery posts, grounds, fuel pump connector...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 5:33 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by socci View Post
So my bike is currently sitting in a parking lot because I have no way of getting it home tonight which really sucks. A few weeks ago once in a great while when I turned on the run switch I wouldnt hear the fuel pump priming noise, but the bike would start. I even turned the bike off and restarted the process and the fuel pump would prime no problem. This happened a few times. Then recently I noticed my gas light is very unreliable. Sometimes it would have no gas and the light wouldnt come on until the last minute, or the light woudl come on around the mileage it normally does, but quickly go off and not come back on until the tank was near empty again.

So tonight I go to the store, come out and the bike starts up fine (been driving all week including today). Then maybe 100 feet later the bike just stalls out and dies while I was moving. After that I could no longer get the bike to start back up. I even tried to push start it multiple times (no luck). The fuel pump would not prime again after MANY attempts. As I was pulling into the store I did notice the bike started to get a little choppy, I thought maybe I was low on gas again because I was past the normal mileage the light comes on, but could still hear gas in the tank. I had the wife bring me gas just to make sure that wasnt the case also.

I am thinking about jsut pulling the trigger on a new fuel pump, but would hate to waste the money. Are there any quick checks I can do before that this weekend. The problem is I am in school and this semester is literally taking up all my time studying and doing homework, so I dont have much time to trouble shoot. I also cant afford to shotgun too many parts that are not bad.

Did you lose the dash lights when she died?
Don't use the kill switch, use the ignition switch to shut the engine off. If you still had dash lights I'd be looking at the kill switch.
The pump doesn't need to prime if you just turned the engine off and the fuel rail is still pressurised.
It's a waste of time trying to bump start the bike if the injectors aren't pressurised.
The fuel sender and the fuel pump are two different things, a problem with the sender is unlikely to be related to the pump.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 2:25 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
I would start by checking all fuses and the grounding blocks throughout the entire bike. There are many times with the 929s and 954s that a suspected electrical problem or bad part was nothing more than a corroded ground. That would be the logical first step, best part of it- it's free to do, just takes some time to dig to all the grounds! Get that done first, if you still have no luck we'll go from there.
Thats what I was afraid of. Sounds time consuming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
There's a bunch of other thing it could be besides the fuel pump. I'd try some other things first.
Check your main 30 amp fuse.
Could be a relay going out too. The ones to check are your fuel pump relay and your bank angle relay. You can swap your high beam relay into them to test. I'd do the fuel pump relay first, turn the key and listen. If nothing, swap it with the bank angle relay and try again.
Then, as stated above start checking connections, like battery posts, grounds, fuel pump connector...
Will do, so lets say I get nothing when I swap with the the pump relay, when I swap with the bank angle sensor, if I get something does that means the bank angle sensor was bad obviously right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Did you lose the dash lights when she died?
Don't use the kill switch, use the ignition switch to shut the engine off. If you still had dash lights I'd be looking at the kill switch.
The pump doesn't need to prime if you just turned the engine off and the fuel rail is still pressurised. It's a waste of time trying to bump start the bike if the injectors aren't pressurised. The fuel sender and the fuel pump are two different things, a problem with the sender is unlikely to be related to the pump.
No I had all the dash lights. I was just reading using the kill switch is bad, I never knew that. I have been using the switch all season. How do I go about testing the switch?

01 929
post #6 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 2:27 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
No I had all the dash lights. I was just reading using the kill switch is bad, I never knew that. I have been using the switch all season. How do I go about testing the switch?

Push a pin through the two wires to bypass the switch and see if the problem persists.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 10:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Push a pin through the two wires to bypass the switch and see if the problem persists.
So lets say this works and my kill switch is bad, could I cut the switch and just wire the two wires together until I find a replacement unit? I havent had much luck finding a better way to bypass the switch, and I really would hate to have to put the bike away for the remainder of the season even if it is short lived. I figure I can def find a new switch over the winter.

01 929
post #8 of 14 Old 10-04-2013, 11:20 PM

Quote:
So lets say this works and my kill switch is bad, could I cut the switch and just wire the two wires together until I find a replacement unit? I havent had much luck finding a better way to bypass the switch, and I really would hate to have to put the bike away for the remainder of the season even if it is short lived. I figure I can def find a new switch over the winter.
In a word - yes.
Go do it and let us know if that gets you going again.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-05-2013, 5:26 AM

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage

Wiring up a new kill switch is as easy as adding a toggle switch =P It is really just there in case of emergency such as stuck wide-open throttle. This gives you a way to cut the fuel supply to the engine therefore making it stop.

My buddy wired an additional hidden kill switch that worked as a theft deterrent too. He had the normal switch in place as well, but ended up replacing it with a different (much cheaper) radio-shack switch after his died. I think it cost him $6 for both switches that he put in...

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
post #10 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 12:56 AM Thread Starter

So I went to look at the kill switch wiring and found a one of the two metal plugs detached. I plug the little metal tab back into the male end and figured that had to be the problem. Im not exactly sure which wires are for the kill switch I assumed it was them. There is also a wire bundle wrapped coming from the same area along with another wrapped up thin wire bundle. I cant see the wires in them, not sure what they go to. But attaching that loose wire did not fix the problem, I thought for sure it was. Are those two wires with the metal tabs the kill switch wires?

01 929
post #11 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 1:03 PM

What color are they?
Bladeracer posted wiring diagrams for the 954.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...-diagrams.html
post #12 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 4:29 PM

Reputation Power: 8

my 954 was doing this to me at one point. Tore open the earth block (yellow box) behind the headlight and cleaned it out. It was burnt a little but put it back together and electrical taped it and now it hasn't done it since.

Honda is probably all I know! 2005 Civic Si, 2002 CBR 954!
post #13 of 14 Old 10-07-2013, 4:42 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondog9 View Post
What color are they?
Bladeracer posted wiring diagrams for the 954.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...-diagrams.html
Pretty sure they were black yellow and black green. Looking at that diagram they were the front brake light switch. I appreciate that diagram, I will track down the killswitch wires hopefully soon.

I will also give that yellow box a cleaning, I appreciate that info.

01 929
post #14 of 14 Old 10-18-2013, 7:18 PM Thread Starter

It was the fuel cut relay. I swapped it with the headlight relay and it fired right up. The relay was very corroded along with the plug. All the other relays and grounds look good though. Thanks for the help.

01 929

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page