1000RR Swinger on a 954? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 10-05-2013, 6:25 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 66

Garage
1000RR Swinger on a 954?

Trying to figure out if it is feasible, possible, and wise to go for a newer 1KRR swinger on my 954. I heard the Unit Pro-Link swing arms are supposed to be a very nicely designed and light-weight swinger...

The noticeable differences- the shock mount is on the swing arm itself, which I would imagine I could find a way to either eliminate this from the new arm, or modify the current shock to mount on the new arm..

The mounting point- the 954 swinger bolts up to the back of the motor... I think the 1KRR swinger mounts to the frame?

I know anything is possible if you throw enough money at the problem, but I am trying to figure out if this is possible without spending a fortune or having to modify the entire bike.... I have searched the forums to no avail for anyone else having a go at this, again, no luck though. Any opinions are more than welcome for, against, or indifferent on why or why not and ease or burden of this idea.

/**Serenity**\ 2002 Honda CBR954RR Fireblade

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-05-2013, 6:46 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: 1000RR Swinger on a 954?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
Trying to figure out if it is feasible, possible, and wise to go for a newer 1KRR swinger on my 954. I heard the Unit Pro-Link swing arms are supposed to be a very nicely designed and light-weight swinger...

The noticeable differences- the shock mount is on the swing arm itself, which I would imagine I could find a way to either eliminate this from the new arm, or modify the current shock to mount on the new arm..

The mounting point- the 954 swinger bolts up to the back of the motor... I think the 1KRR swinger mounts to the frame?

I know anything is possible if you throw enough money at the problem, but I am trying to figure out if this is possible without spending a fortune or having to modify the entire bike.... I have searched the forums to no avail for anyone else having a go at this, again, no luck though. Any opinions are more than welcome for, against, or indifferent on why or why not and ease or burden of this idea.

You could do it but I wouldn't.
It's very heavy to take _all_ the shock loads, and it's quite long. I have an '06 unit here from when I thought it'd be a good idea as well :-)
A conventional swingarm simply hangs off the bottom of the shock. The 1000RR is pretty cool in having both ends of the shock attached to the swingarm so the suspension forces don't go into the frame.
Honda Worldwide | CBR1000RR | Chassis
When they came out and I saw (from behind) how incredibly well the bikes were pulling off the turns I figured I'd try putting one on the 929 :-)
Attached Thumbnails
p1.gif‎  

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Last edited by bladeracer; 10-05-2013 at 8:39 PM.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-05-2013, 7:23 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Did you actually end up fitting the 1000RR swinger on it, or did you decide against it before starting on the project? It would seem by that article you provided that it is not just the swing arm that improved handling, but and entire rework to the suspension as a whole.. I wonder what the difference is in weight, though I suspect they are probably very close anyway.

"But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing. Only the person who risks is truly free."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 10-05-2013, 7:48 AM
Global Moderator

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRDemon View Post
Did you actually end up fitting the 1000RR swinger on it, or did you decide against it before starting on the project? It would seem by that article you provided that it is not just the swing arm that improved handling, but and entire rework to the suspension as a whole.. I wonder what the difference is in weight, though I suspect they are probably very close anyway.

As soon as a had it in my hands I could tell it was too big and heavy to be worth messing with. From memory I think it was 40-50mm longer than the 929 swingarm.
I would have to dig it out from wherever I hid it once I decided against using it. I bought the swingarm complete with shock and linkages.
The "article" is actually Honda's own propaganda for the later models so don't take it as entirely truthful or accurate ;-)

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 8 Old 10-05-2013, 10:57 AM

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Somebody here actually fitted it to 929/954 but he noticed the same thing. It's very heavy compared to 929/954. Try i search on the forum or google
post #6 of 8 Old 10-05-2013, 3:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 15

Yep, I fitted a CBR1000RR swinger to a 929 (954 will be the same procedure). It wasn't noticeably heavier, especially when all the linkages and shock is mounted, has improved the wheelie tendencies and made the rear end much more supple.
It's not a mod for the faint hearted though.

https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...rr-2004-a.html

GG
post #7 of 8 Old 10-06-2013, 3:50 AM Thread Starter

Garage

Bah, guess I'll just be sticking with the stock swinger. If anything maybe I'll shoot for a SSSA at some point if I keep the ole girl around that long!

post #8 of 8 Old 10-06-2013, 3:34 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 51

I fitted one to a 918 (carby). Lovely piece of engineering but too long for 'our' designs. It is really designed for 'up and under' gearbox type engines that are much shorter than the 'lie flat' gearboxes so is a good two inches too long. Fine for a drag bike I suppose. The one thing that really put me off though was the chain length, worked out to be about 120 links on mine, didn't fancy that lot thrashing around under my left leg.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page