Clutch issues with my blade - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 10-10-2013, 8:07 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Clutch issues with my blade

Hi Guys,

I'm beginning to think the clutch is shot in my blade . Here are the symptoms i'm experiencing -

Really clunky gear changes - especially the shift down to first from neutral.
Clutch grabbing - if I'm changing down the gears coming to a stop and blipping the throttle the clutch seems to grab and judder the bike. Seems to do it mostly in 2nd gear.
Also the clutch seems to be really noisy to listen to.

Anyhow I replaced the chain and sprockets recently as they needed doing - I thought it might improve things but it hasn't. And as a last ditch attempt I replaced the clutch cable as this had stretched a fair bit but sadly that hasn't helped and it's still grabbing no matter how much I adjust it.

Shall I just take the cover off and look? What am I looking for exactly? Never replaced a bike clutch or clutch plates myself before.

Cheers

Alex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-10-2013, 8:23 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Clutch issues with my blade

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex350r View Post
Hi Guys,

I'm beginning to think the clutch is shot in my blade . Here are the symptoms i'm experiencing -

Really clunky gear changes - especially the shift down to first from neutral.
Clutch grabbing - if I'm changing down the gears coming to a stop and blipping the throttle the clutch seems to grab and judder the bike. Seems to do it mostly in 2nd gear.
Also the clutch seems to be really noisy to listen to.

Anyhow I replaced the chain and sprockets recently as they needed doing - I thought it might improve things but it hasn't. And as a last ditch attempt I replaced the clutch cable as this had stretched a fair bit but sadly that hasn't helped and it's still grabbing no matter how much I adjust it.

Shall I just take the cover off and look? What am I looking for exactly? Never replaced a bike clutch or clutch plates myself before.

Cheers

Alex

The clunking and grabbing are most likely due to poorly timed shifting than anything else.
The clunking will be worse if the engine is revving above idle when stationary, or if you are moving when you shift down and have the clutch disengaged for too long.
If you downshift blipping the throttle, but don't release the clutch does the clutch still "grab"?
Does the bike actually pull forward with the clutch disengaged in gear?
Does the clutch noise stop when you pull the lever in?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 4 Old 10-10-2013, 8:30 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
The clunking and grabbing are most likely due to poorly timed shifting than anything else.
The clunking will be worse if the engine is revving above idle when stationary, or if you are moving when you shift down and have the clutch disengaged for too long.
If you downshift blipping the throttle, but don't release the clutch does the clutch still "grab"?
Does the bike actually pull forward with the clutch disengaged in gear?
Does the clutch noise stop when you pull the lever in?
Thanks for your reply - I disagree with it being poorly timed shifting - I know when to shift and I never had this with my last bike (Honda Hornet 600).
If I downshift blipping and don't release the throttle then yes the clutch still 'grabs' - that's the issue.
Yes the bike pulls forward with the clutch disengaged.
The clutch noise doesn't stop when I pull the lever in it just get's quieter.

Perhaps this is just normal for a 929 clutch? Maybe I'm too used to the clutch on my Hornet which was silky smooth and never had these issues. Just seems odd to me why it grabs while downshifting so much.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 10-10-2013, 8:37 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex350r View Post
Thanks for your reply - I disagree with it being poorly timed shifting - I know when to shift and I never had this with my last bike (Honda Hornet 600).
If I downshift blipping and don't release the throttle then yes the clutch still 'grabs' - that's the issue.
Yes the bike pulls forward with the clutch disengaged.
The clutch noise doesn't stop when I pull the lever in it just get's quieter.

Perhaps this is just normal for a 929 clutch? Maybe I'm too used to the clutch on my Hornet which was silky smooth and never had these issues. Just seems odd to me why it grabs while downshifting so much.

Cheers

If the bike is pulling despite adjusting the cable then I'd be looking at the actuator lever on the clutch cover. Is it at the correct angle as shown in the manual?
The 929 does make a lot more power than the Hornet6 so it would have a heavier clutch than you'd be used to. Do you know anybody else with a 929 or 954 you could compare yours with?
Are your levers stock?
How much mileage is on your oil?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page