Race transmission for 929? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 9:46 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Race transmission for 929?

I'm looking for a race box for my 929..!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 11:30 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: cbr900 hrc race cut transmission

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc View Post
Are the HRC boxes model year specific..?? Quaife apprently made one box for the whole range, so they told me over the phone..

The "whole range" of what?

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 12:28 PM Thread Starter

As in all the 'Blades..

Probably different for HRC units but Quaife seem to think they only every produced one box, which they now no longer produce.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 12:31 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
As in all the 'Blades..

Probably different for HRC units but Quaife seem to think they only every produced one box, which they now no longer produce.

Definately not.
The Blades don't all use the same transmission.
900RR's all use the same transmission and also fits the Hornet 900 with minor modification.
929 and 954 use the same transmission.
1000RR '04-'07 use the same transmission (a cassette type that pulls out the side of the cases).
1000RR '08 until now (I think) uses the same transmission.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 12:46 PM Thread Starter

Interesting.. It may be the chap I was in conversation with wasn't interested in dealing due to him not knowing enough about it!

I've got a mail trail so will look over it again, either way they appear to be rare as rocking horse ...
post #6 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 12:47 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Interesting.. It may be the chap I was in conversation with wasn't interested in dealing due to him not knowing enough about it!

I've got a mail trail so will look over it again, either way they appear to be rare as rocking horse ...

And ludicrously expensive :-)
Why do you want or need a non-OEM transmission?

post #7 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 1:15 PM Thread Starter

Much like matey on the main forum, I'm looking to have an engine over haul carried out over the winter, something I'm only ever going to have done once, so have been weighing up my options with regards to sensible enhancements!

It's being used as a track bike so makes good sense, and would compliment a slipper clutch nicely...!!! It's all ideas at the moment, but if I can get the parts at a sensible price then I'm well up for a challenge
post #8 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 1:18 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Much like matey on the main forum, I'm looking to have an engine over haul carried out over the winter, something I'm only ever going to have done once, so have been weighing up my options with regards to sensible enhancements!

It's being used as a track bike so makes good sense, and would compliment a slipper clutch nicely...!!! It's all ideas at the moment, but if I can get the parts at a sensible price then I'm well up for a challenge

Having raced the 929 at several different circuits I can't see any use for a "race" box.

post #9 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 1:25 PM
Global Moderator

Found this but still very unhelpful.
https://www.mdrtuning.com/quaife-hon...-model-unknown
Price is remarkably cheap at $1500.

post #10 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 1:54 PM Thread Starter

I've seen that too.. I find it remarkable how some firms choose to advertise such rare and expensive items with such little detail.

It's one of those things; I'm not necessarily doing it for the performance, more the reliability. Having read some of the horror stories on here I ordered, and have received, a Factory Pro shift kit and Gilles gear shaft support which I will install regardless of whether the rebuild happens, but as the engine may come out it seems sensible to gain total piece of mind, if that makes sense..?

With the money it will cost to do, I'm also tempted to just go out and buy an RR8 onwards and not worry, but like many folk on here I like the idea of running something with a bit more character that still can provide the thrill, but also has the potential to make me a better rider.. It's not like I'll ever have 160 + ponies to gallop me out of a corner, but she's plenty good enough to provide all the corner speed I'll ever need!!
post #11 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 1:56 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
I've seen that too.. I find it remarkable how some firms choose to advertise such rare and expensive items with such little detail.

It's one of those things; I'm not necessarily doing it for the performance, more the reliability. Having read some of the horror stories on here I ordered, and have received, a Factory Pro shift kit and Gilles gear shaft support which I will install regardless of whether the rebuild happens, but as the engine may come out it seems sensible to gain total piece of mind, if that makes sense..?

With the money it will cost to do, I'm also tempted to just go out and buy an RR8 onwards and not worry, but like many folk on here I like the idea of running something with a bit more character that still can provide the thrill, but also has the potential to make me a better rider.. It's not like I'll ever have 160 + ponies to gallop me out of a corner, but she's plenty good enough to provide all the corner speed I'll ever need!!

The 929 is a very strong transmission with zero reliability issues, provided it's used and maintained properly, a Quaif would be the same.

post #12 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 1:59 PM Thread Starter

Where have all the 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear failures arisen from then..??

I find it hard to believe it's always down to user error when there's always a thread about it on the front page..
post #13 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 2:04 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Where have all the 2nd, 3rd, 4th gear failures arisen from then..??

I find it hard to believe it's always down to user error when there's always a thread about it on the front page..

User error and poor maintenance.
Most of the problems are with US bikes, simply because they don't have graduated licencing. Anybody can buy a litre-bike as their first bike and use that 100+hp to totally destroy the transmission while learning to ride. Where you and I are there are far less problems with transmissions in all bikes.
Keep fresh oil in the engine, blip the throttle on downshifts and most importantly, time the shifts accurately. On Hondas I also recommend shortening the shifter throw - it's too long in my opinion and results in miss-shifts.

post #14 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 2:10 PM Thread Starter

Fair point..

When you say the 'shifter throw', could you expand on that a little.?!!
post #15 of 23 Old 10-10-2013, 2:13 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Fair point..

When you say the 'shifter throw', could you expand on that a little.?!!

The distance the lever moves is too far. I bolted a plate to the vertical lever of the shifter so I could move the shift rod further down to reduce the throw length.
You can see it in this pic.
Attached Thumbnails
_MG_9531.jpg‎  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page