speedo error on a 2012 CBR1000RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 8:32 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

speedo error on a 2012 CBR1000RR

I was just wondering what sort of measured speedo error other people were getting on their 2012 1000RR's. Mine comes in at about 5%.

One other thing, does anyone know where the speedo sensor is on this bike?

" On the edge is living, all the rest is just waiting around to die!!

2012 CBR1000RR
GB Racing engine covers
No cut Frame sliders
Swing-arm Sliders
Soft Foam Grips
A very Bad attitude, lol

Last edited by MinorMissSteak; 10-12-2013 at 8:50 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-12-2013, 11:53 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: speedo error on a 2012 CBR1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinorMissSteak View Post
I was just wondering what sort of measured speedo error other people were getting on their 2012 1000RR's. Mine comes in at about 5%.

One other thing, does anyone know where the speedo sensor is on this bike?

Too many variables for all of them to have the same speedo error.
The percentage of error also increases with speed due to tyre slip.
The sensor is in the top of the transmission.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 11 Old 10-13-2013, 7:09 AM

Reputation Power: 113

Manufacturers are allowed up to +10% in most places (No places that I know allow it to read under though).

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-13-2013, 7:52 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
Too many variables for all of them to have the same speedo error.
The percentage of error also increases with speed due to tyre slip.
The sensor is in the top of the transmission.
Yes I understand there are a lot of variables involved, , I was just curious as to what other peoples error was and what sort of configuration they were running and yes I should have asked with what configuration in the first place but I was mainly just interested in what there error percentage was, . Are you sure the sensor is at the top of the transmission on this bike, I thought they moved it in later 1k RR's?

" On the edge is living, all the rest is just waiting around to die!!

2012 CBR1000RR
GB Racing engine covers
No cut Frame sliders
Swing-arm Sliders
Soft Foam Grips
A very Bad attitude, lol
post #5 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 2:48 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinorMissSteak View Post
Yes I understand there are a lot of variables involved, , I was just curious as to what other peoples error was and what sort of configuration they were running and yes I should have asked with what configuration in the first place but I was mainly just interested in what there error percentage was, . Are you sure the sensor is at the top of the transmission on this bike, I thought they moved it in later 1k RR's?

CRANKCASE

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #6 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 9:10 AM

The sensor is calibrated for the factory sprockets, factory tires, and usually at a specific mph (generally at the max speed limit in the country in which it's sold).
I "tested" the speedo's on both CBR's by having a buddy of mine in the highway patrol clock the bike at what appeared on the speedo as 60 mph. This is with the original factory tires. He used the new standard "laser", and it showed ~60-61.
We then tried it at 90 mph (on a "safe" road with little traffic...). He showed 94 mph.
Huhm...
Physics...
The faster the tire/rim rotates, the more the tire gets "taller" (centrifugal force).
I can find no reference in any research that shows how to change the sensor to another version, or to change the ECU.

No longer active member of this forum
post #7 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 9:13 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by groomlake View Post
The sensor is calibrated for the factory sprockets, factory tires, and usually at a specific mph (generally at the max speed limit in the country in which it's sold).
I "tested" the speedo's on both CBR's by having a buddy of mine in the highway patrol clock the bike at what appeared on the speedo as 60 mph. This is with the original factory tires. He used the new standard "laser", and it showed ~60-61.
We then tried it at 90 mph (on a "safe" road with little traffic...). He showed 94 mph.
Huhm...
Physics...
The faster the tire/rim rotates, the more the tire gets "taller" (centrifugal force).
I can find no reference in any research that shows how to change the sensor to another version, or to change the ECU.

No, the tyre doesn't grow, it just spins more due to aerodynamic drag.

post #8 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 9:40 AM

Sorry to say (just from my observations only), I had the front tire on my '08 spun on an older tire balance machine to 90 mph. It "grew" as the sidewalls came in and the diameter changed about 1-2mm.
But then again these were the old factory tires. I'll try it again with the new Q3's when i get them installed. I believe that the newer tire side-walls are much more rigid than tires from 5-10 years ago.
Also... the tire pressure tends to control this sidewall "rigidity".
I have a full hydraulic lift stand with front safety clamp, strapping, etc. The '12 is due for it's oil change, so I will raise the rear with the bar lifter, measure the "gap" to the lift stand floor plate and spin the rear to 60, then to 90, then to 120 and watch the indicator (clamp a laser to pass under the edge of the spinning tire).
I did race cars for many years and had to calculate the diameter change at speed to match the rims to the tires. Wider the rim (to a point...), less "growth".
I'll let you know what I observe with the Q3's.

post #9 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 9:47 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Sorry to say (just from my observations only), I had the front tire on my '08 spun on an older tire balance machine to 90 mph. It "grew" as the sidewalls came in and the diameter changed about 1-2mm.
But then again these were the old factory tires. I'll try it again with the new Q3's when i get them installed. I believe that the newer tire side-walls are much more rigid than tires from 5-10 years ago.
Also... the tire pressure tends to control this sidewall "rigidity".
I have a full hydraulic lift stand with front safety clamp, strapping, etc. The '12 is due for it's oil change, so I will raise the rear with the bar lifter, measure the "gap" to the lift stand floor plate and spin the rear to 60, then to 90, then to 120 and watch the indicator (clamp a laser to pass under the edge of the spinning tire).
I did race cars for many years and had to calculate the diameter change at speed to match the rims to the tires. Wider the rim (to a point...), less "growth".
I'll let you know what I observe with the Q3's.

The increasing speedo error is due to tyre slip which increases with speed.
Car tyres grow because of their shape.

post #10 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 9:52 AM

Interesting... How bad is the "tire slip" on a bike at speeds? I'm trying to correlate higher confirmed speed on the speedo vs a true "laser" measurement.

post #11 of 11 Old 10-14-2013, 9:55 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Interesting... How bad is the "tire slip" on a bike at speeds? I'm trying to correlate higher confirmed speed on the speedo vs a true "laser" measurement.

Far too many variables, it comes down to how much wind speed you're pushing against and how much traction you have.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page