2013 honda cbr1000rr - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 Old 10-15-2013, 5:08 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

2013 honda cbr1000rr

I have a 2013 Honda crb1000rr with a taylor made exhaust. I am looking for a way to get more air flow into the engine now, since I have a lot going out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-15-2013, 5:35 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: 2013 honda cbr1000rr

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvyota View Post
I have a 2013 Honda crb1000rr with a taylor made exhaust. I am looking for a way to get more air flow into the engine now, since I have a lot going out.

Do you mean a full system or a muffler?
The OEM filters work the best but you could try bigger throttle bodies.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 9 Old 10-15-2013, 7:25 PM Thread Starter

its just the muffler right now. I would like to get the whole system, but have to do this piece by piece. lol. I was looking a K&n air filter and didn't know if that would help. The bike runs great and is fast, but I was looking for something to just get rid of that little lag you get when you pin it back and didn't know if getting more air would help like it does in a car. What does a bigger throttle body do? thanks for your help and all information.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 10-15-2013, 11:39 PM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvyota View Post
its just the muffler right now. I would like to get the whole system, but have to do this piece by piece. lol. I was looking a K&n air filter and didn't know if that would help. The bike runs great and is fast, but I was looking for something to just get rid of that little lag you get when you pin it back and didn't know if getting more air would help like it does in a car. What does a bigger throttle body do? thanks for your help and all information.

If it's just a muffler then I doubt the engine is pushing out much more air anyway.
K&N is junk, the OEM filters flow more air.
Bigger throttle bodies allow more air into the engine.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 9 Old 10-16-2013, 7:17 AM

Reputation Power: 113

I believe Garrett would be able to help get more air into the engine.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-16-2013, 8:09 AM

There is an airbox mod that one can do that removes the vacuum flaps. That will increase flow to the filter. The vacuum cans (and the flaps...) are removed, and the vacuum lines plugged. It can be "undone" if you sell the bike later. I would, if I were Ryota, be very careful and make sure that the "mod" does not affect the warranty. Many dealers are getting really picky when a bike is brought in for a warranty service and something has been done to the "emissions", injection, etc. As an example, I had to go to the dealer about a slip on and the servo disconnect (servo buddy) on my ZX6R. Their "position" was that as long as the FI light and ECU did not "register" a problem, then they would honor the warranty.
Don't anyone get me wrong here. Most dealers are"loyal" to their customers, particularly customers loyal to them, etc. But... I have "friends in high places" as in my 'son-in-law' is the Parts Manager for the local bike dealership. I personally know the owners, etc. They have "warranty horror stories" where a "customer" (usually a "squid") brings a bike back after running it with aftermarket parts, low oil, excessive rpm's, etc. Basically what I'm saying is make sure you are ok with the "service manager" when it comes to doing anything not in the owner's manual while the bike is under warranty...

No longer active member of this forum
post #7 of 9 Old 10-16-2013, 8:12 AM
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by groomlake View Post
There is an airbox mod that one can do that removes the vacuum flaps. That will increase flow to the filter. The vacuum cans (and the flaps...) are removed, and the vacuum lines plugged. It can be "undone" if you sell the bike later. I would, if I were Ryota, be very careful and make sure that the "mod" does not affect the warranty. Many dealers are getting really picky when a bike is brought in for a warranty service and something has been done to the "emissions", injection, etc. As an example, I had to go to the dealer about a slip on and the servo disconnect (servo buddy) on my ZX6R. Their "position" was that as long as the FI light and ECU did not "register" a problem, then they would honor the warranty.
Don't anyone get me wrong here. Most dealers are"loyal" to their customers, particularly customers loyal to them, etc. But... I have "friends in high places" as in my 'son-in-law' is the Parts Manager for the local bike dealership. I personally know the owners, etc. They have "warranty horror stories" where a "customer" (usually a "squid") brings a bike back after running it with aftermarket parts, low oil, excessive rpm's, etc. Basically what I'm saying is make sure you are ok with the "service manager" when it comes to doing anything not in the owner's manual while the bike is under warranty...

The flap should be wide open at high RPM already so it shouldn't make any difference at all if you remove it.
It's a Honda, warranty is worthless - ask anybody that bought the '08 oil-burning Blade.

post #8 of 9 Old 10-16-2013, 8:38 AM

There is a guy over on the ZX10.net web blog who goes by the name Shervin Rezaiy who has done some truly ground breaking R & D on this process. Do yourself a favor, and go study his methodology, and results. His process is nothing short of EPIC!!

I'm sorry..... I really couldn't help myself.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-16-2013, 9:12 AM

My dealer is ok... Replaced defective battery (would not hold a charge after one month), replaced front tire (defective, would not balance), seat (cracked "leather" by second month, and I'm not that fat!!!), replaced ECU after 3 months (serious "lag" in mid range mid-throttle opening), and replaced lower fairing (simply cracked around bolt holes - factory overtightening...). Now that's on the '12. But as far as the '08, can't testify as I bought it in '10, but no problems at all.
I would say it depends on the dealer and their willingness to "go to bat" for the owner.

No longer active member of this forum

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page