98 sc33 top end rattle under acceleration - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 Old 10-20-2013, 5:07 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

98 sc33 top end rattle under acceleration

Hi all ive recently bought a 98 sc33 and have noticed a persistent rattle from the top end under acceleration between 2.5/3k rpm and it stops the second it hits 4k
This is on anymore than 1/4 throttle in all gears and is not changing with engine temp.
When i mean acceleration its not hard on the stop but even filtering traffic or gentle back lane work just as you open the throttle past 1/4 its starts. I can ride around it but even pulling away in first and bringing it up to 30mph etc its there.more than 4k its gone!!
Power delivery is fine no flat spots or hesitation and pulls well all the way to redline.
im a car mechanic by trade and to me it sound like a worn cam chain or piston slap but am wondering if anyone else has/had the same or similar before I start digging around under the fairing.
Im planning on pulling it apart over the winter anyway to refresh the old girl but a second opinion would be nice.
Also milage is unknown as this is not its original engine. Im told the original fell fowl to a broken chain making its self comfortable in the casing
Any advice would be appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 10-20-2013, 5:19 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Re: 98 sc33 top end rattle under acceleration

sounds like cam chain or tensioner or both. if your having a rebuild over the winter i would change both, cam chains need changing every 40,000 miles with normal riding, lower with more abuse, a mate of mine fitted a new one and with in 10,000 miles he snapped it! but he rode full throtle or nothing!

Its not a hobbie, Its a way of life!
post #3 of 11 Old 10-20-2013, 5:24 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for that , il get a chain/guides and tensioner on order then.
Im hoping its nothing more sinister, I would expect piston slap or little ends to be effected by temp change where this remains constant.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 10-20-2013, 5:27 PM

Reputation Power: 113

If it was cam chain it'd be more noticeable on deceleration, not acceleration.

If the bike isn't braking properly, you don't start by rebuilding the engine.
post #5 of 11 Old 10-20-2013, 5:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky91 View Post
If it was cam chain it'd be more noticeable on deceleration, not acceleration.
mine goes acceleration and deceleration

post #6 of 11 Old 10-20-2013, 5:47 PM

[QUOTE=kev.basley;1145312]Thanks for that , il get a chain/guides and tensioner on order then.
Im hoping its nothing more sinister, I would expect piston slap or little ends to be effected by temp change where this remains constant.[/QUOTe

do your valves clearence at the same time, these engines pick up rattles here there and everywhere, my bro 97 has a tap at higher rpm because of worn valve buckets but thats nothing to worry about, my chain is due and starting to rattle so i have to do it, mines just hitting 41,000 miles

post #7 of 11 Old 10-20-2013, 8:21 PM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Originally Posted by kev.basley View Post
Hi all ive recently bought a 98 sc33 and have noticed a persistent rattle from the top end under acceleration between 2.5/3k rpm and it stops the second it hits 4k
This is on anymore than 1/4 throttle in all gears and is not changing with engine temp.
When i mean acceleration its not hard on the stop but even filtering traffic or gentle back lane work just as you open the throttle past 1/4 its starts. I can ride around it but even pulling away in first and bringing it up to 30mph etc its there.more than 4k its gone!!
Power delivery is fine no flat spots or hesitation and pulls well all the way to redline.
im a car mechanic by trade and to me it sound like a worn cam chain or piston slap but am wondering if anyone else has/had the same or similar before I start digging around under the fairing.
Im planning on pulling it apart over the winter anyway to refresh the old girl but a second opinion would be nice.
Also milage is unknown as this is not its original engine. Im told the original fell fowl to a broken chain making its self comfortable in the casing
Any advice would be appreciated.

Sounds like detonation to me, don't use hard throttle below 4000RPM.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #8 of 11 Old 10-21-2013, 7:02 AM Thread Starter

Reported Post by kev.basley

Hi bladeracer its not hard throttle literally 1/4 turn is all that is needed to do it. In first gear getting up to speed before gear change. I would understand it being detonation if I was holding it the stop but im not. Just tickling her along. Even if your cruising along in fourth say 60mph and just tickle the throttle it will do it untill the rpm hits 4k then it stops.
Il be droping the lump out shortly anyway and il get a borescope down the plug holes and look for any pitting in piston crown in case it is detonation. But seems to run too well across the rev range to be bad fueling or timing

bladeracer
[/quote]Sounds like detonation to me, don't use hard throttle below 4000RPM.[/quote]

Last edited by bladeracer; 10-21-2013 at 7:10 AM.
post #9 of 11 Old 10-25-2013, 6:55 PM Thread Starter

update on the rattle, i have the engin on the bench now and it seems bladeracer you might be right with the detonaion theory.
The chain is tight and tensioner seems to be holding good tension and guides look ok.
Having taken the plugs out it looks like its running a little lean.
Its got a micron full stainless exhaust and the carbs have 122 jets across all carbs. I thought they ran different sizes in the inner two cylinders. ?
Bladeracer do you or anyone know or can suggest a jet size. And do you think this maybe a cause for detonation. ?
I will be using a boroscope tomorrow but from what I can see through the plug holes there maybe some pitting in the crowns of the pistons backing up the detonation theory.
Any more advice is greatly appreciated
post #10 of 11 Old 10-26-2013, 5:00 PM Thread Starter

Todays update definatly detonation. Thanks bladeracer for the heads up. Hopefully the pic will attach of the boroscope image of no 4 piston
post #11 of 11 Old 10-26-2013, 5:04 PM Thread Starter

Boroscope image
Attached Thumbnails
20131026_202711.jpg‎  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page