Flooded my 1998 CBR900RR - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 12:22 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Flooded my 1998 CBR900RR

Hello fellow Firebladers today I replaced my 1998 CBR900RR's fuel petcock with a aftermarket Pingle fuel petcock. Mistakenly I connected the vacuum line to the second nozzle on the Pingle petcock thinking it was a second fuel line (I know I'm an idiot) and apparently flooded the crap out of my poor CBR .I need advice on how to go about unflooding? my CBR any and all help would be greatly appreciated for I do not have the needed funds to pay a professional mechanic. Here are pics of the original petcock and the aftermarket petcock just to give you an idea of the error I made.

here is the OEM petcock "A" is where the vacuum line was connected to. I actually went out and bought a fatter hose in order to make it fit to the after market petcock

Here is a pic of the after market petcock as you can see both nozzles are the same "A" is where I connected the vacuum line too (again I am an idiot)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 12:34 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Re: Flooded my 1998 CBR900RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalbulletz View Post
Hello fellow Firebladers today I replaced my 1998 CBR900RR's fuel petcock with a aftermarket Pingle fuel petcock. Mistakenly I connected the vacuum line to the second nozzle on the Pingle petcock thinking it was a second fuel line (I know I'm an idiot) and apparently flooded the crap out of my poor CBR .I need advice on how to go about unflooding? my CBR any and all help would be greatly appreciated for I do not have the needed funds to pay a professional mechanic. Here are pics of the original petcock and the aftermarket petcock just to give you an idea of the error I made.

here is the OEM petcock "A" is where the vacuum line was connected to. I actually went out and bought a fatter hose in order to make it fit to the after market petcock

Here is a pic of the after market petcock as you can see both nozzles are the same "A" is where I connected the vacuum line too (again I am an idiot)

First, make sure the engine does turn over, if it doesn't you probably have a cylinder full of fuel.
Turn off the fuel tap, drain the float bowls, hold throttle wide open and crank the engine until it starts to fire.
That should clear it.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #3 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 12:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bladeracer View Post
First, make sure the engine does turn over, if it doesn't you probably have a cylinder full of fuel.
Turn off the fuel tap, drain the float bowls, hold throttle wide open and crank the engine until it starts to fire.
That should clear it.
I'm sorry I'm really green when it comes to bikes...the engine doesn't actually crank it just makes this hissing sound? the lights come on and so does the oil and neutral light....where exactly can i find the fuel tap I assume I would need to remove the gas tank and fairings to do this? also how do I drain the float bowls?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 2:28 AM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

What you have there is a dual feed petcock. There is no vacuum operation on that one, and probably no reserve. I could be mistaken, and the second port could be the reserve but I doubt it. First off, why did you replace the stock unit, and why not replace with OEM part? Second, you'll have to turn that valve on and off each time you want to stop fuel flow, relying solely on your needle valves in the carbs to stop the fuel from entering the intake ports. That's what the OEM unit did with the vacuum line. It shut the fuel flow off. It's possible that you have a hydro lock situation in your cylinders if a ton of fuel flooded into the engine. Pull your spark plugs and try and crank your engine. Be careful if it's full of fuel it will come spitting out at you.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #5 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 2:32 AM

Garage

Each float bowl has a drain screw. Long flat blade screwdriver will open them up. Also, your fuel tap is your Pingle valve. So yes, remove your tank unless you can fit your hand in there to shut it off.

post #6 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 3:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by IanDoohan View Post
What you have there is a dual feed petcock. There is no vacuum operation on that one, and probably no reserve. I could be mistaken, and the second port could be the reserve but I doubt it. First off, why did you replace the stock unit, and why not replace with OEM part? Second, you'll have to turn that valve on and off each time you want to stop fuel flow, relying solely on your needle valves in the carbs to stop the fuel from entering the intake ports. That's what the OEM unit did with the vacuum line. It shut the fuel flow off. It's possible that you have a hydro lock situation in your cylinders if a ton of fuel flooded into the engine. Pull your spark plugs and try and crank your engine. Be careful if it's full of fuel it will come spitting out at you.
I know I made a huge mistake already ordered an OEM fuel petcock from honda and should be here in a week or so, At the time I couldn't afford one so I ordered the Pingle now I'm paying the price . As you can see from the picture of my stock petcock I tried to JB weld the leak it had which is why I replaced it with the Pingle. However for now I managed to put more JB weld on it and plugged the leak and will be using it as a temporary fix until the new OEM petcock arrives.

Any how this sounds like a pretty straight forward fix so let me get this right. I'm going to take the gas tank off, pull the spark plugs off, replace the Pingle with my patched OEM petcock, put the key in the ignition and turn the engine over and watch the gas spew out? then wipe everything down replace plugs,gas tank, and she should crank right up?
post #7 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 3:21 AM

Garage

That's kinda what I was thinking. It sounds like so much fuel was flowing from the Pingle valve that not just the one cylinder where the vacuum line went to but ALL your cylinders probably filled with gas, that being if the Pingle vale was turned "on" after you installed it. Hopefully you will get more than just the hissing sound when you thumb the starter. And yes, watch out for spitting fuel, try and clean up as best you can. Rags in the area might be a good idea, just be careful they don't ignite for any reason.

post #8 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 3:23 AM

Garage

Check your oil level as well, if it's up you have fuel in the oil. That will need to be changed.

post #9 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 3:37 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That's kinda what I was thinking. It sounds like so much fuel was flowing from the Pingle valve that not just the one cylinder where the vacuum line went to but ALL your cylinders probably filled with gas, that being if the Pingle vale was turned "on" after you installed it. Hopefully you will get more than just the hissing sound when you thumb the starter. And yes, watch out for spitting fuel, try and clean up as best you can. Rags in the area might be a good idea, just be careful they don't ignite for any reason.
I actually did put the Pingle in the ON position *face palm*. I will make sure I have plenty of rags and that there are no open flames or sparks around. So basically everything I said in the previous post is all I need to do am I missing anything. Are there any tips you have that will make this procedure easier?

Quote:
Check your oil level as well, if it's up you have fuel in the oil. That will need to be changed.
I had already planned on changing the oil seeing as to how I'd be getting down and dirty anyway might as well get that done too. BTW how many quarts of oil do I put in, what brand should I use, and where can I find an oil filter for her?
post #10 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 4:29 AM

Garage

Yes, you'll see that there may be some other items you'll need to remove to get the plugs out. Pretty straight forward. I'm going from memory (it's been a while since I did an oil change, like 15 years. lol ) but I'm pretty sure your at about 4 quarts with changing the filter too. Don't fool around, use an OEM Honda filter. Your 98 should have a window below on the clutch cover to check the level any how. I would start with 3.5 qts, run it, then recheck. I've used Motul, genuine honda GN4 as well as HP4 (synthetic blend with or without moly), Golden Spectro. A good quality motorcycle specific oil will suffice. 10W-40 is good for a wide range of conditions. Good luck, post back with what you find.

post #11 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 4:48 AM Thread Starter

alright I'm gonna get started on this first thing tomorrow morning thanks a mill for the help IanDoohan I really appreciated Ill keep you guys posted. wish me luck
post #12 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 6:05 AM
Global Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Pull your spark plugs and try and crank your engine. Be careful if it's full of fuel it will come spitting out at you.

I would also ensure the plug leads are well away from the area, or even better, wrap them with tape. You do not want any sparks while you have fuel vapour around the engine.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #13 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 1:43 PM Thread Starter

K so far I've removed the gas tank and air filter trying to get to these spark plugs but I've reached a snag I gave no idea where to go from here I'm going to post some pics of my progress and maybe u guys can point me in the right direction?
post #14 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 1:52 PM Thread Starter

post #15 of 24 Old 10-23-2013, 2:30 PM Thread Starter

Phewwww holy sh*t you guys weren't lying I finally got the plugs pulled and thumbed the starter and like an idiot I was looking down at the motor and received a fat spout of gas to the face LOL. So now trying to figure out how to go about draining the float something's?? Don't even know what those look like or where they are located.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page