engine refresh - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 11-13-2013, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 8

engine refresh

I am just starting an engine rebuild on my 929.* I bought a complete transmission in good condition with low miles which I plan to swap into it and Iím planning to freshen up the longblock.

Will I get any value out of a competition valve job or will I be OK by just cleaning all the components and then lapping in the valves and reassembling?* I am assuming thereís no damage because it ran great when I tore it down.* It has 60k miles on it so I figure while I have it apart, Iíll freshen it up.

Are there significant gains to be made by replacing the cams?* If so, please recommend a cam.*

My cylinder bores show some wear on the fore and aft walls.* Should I get them re-chromed or will I be OK with coating the pistons and replacing the rings?

I have considered going with a big bore kit but I donít really want to spend a lot of money for only slight gains in HP/Tq.* If I have to get the block re-chromed anyway, I might just spend the extra for the 76mm boring and pistons/re-tune, etc. *Undecided at this point.

-Sly-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 11-14-2013, 5:14 AM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 16

Re: engine refresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slycrew View Post
I am just starting an engine rebuild on my 929.* I bought a complete transmission in good condition with low miles which I plan to swap into it and Iím planning to freshen up the longblock.

Will I get any value out of a competition valve job or will I be OK by just cleaning all the components and then lapping in the valves and reassembling?* I am assuming thereís no damage because it ran great when I tore it down.* It has 60k miles on it so I figure while I have it apart, Iíll freshen it up.

Are there significant gains to be made by replacing the cams?* If so, please recommend a cam.*

My cylinder bores show some wear on the fore and aft walls.* Should I get them re-chromed or will I be OK with coating the pistons and replacing the rings?

I have considered going with a big bore kit but I donít really want to spend a lot of money for only slight gains in HP/Tq.* If I have to get the block re-chromed anyway, I might just spend the extra for the 76mm boring and pistons/re-tune, etc. *Undecided at this point.
Check the cylinder wall to piston clearence to see can you use the old piston whit new coating on the skirts and plating. That way you can allso determine do you need to get it bored or just plated if you calculate the cylinder wall to piston clearence whit the Od of a new piston. I would plate the cylinders anyway. There isn't any plating on the cylinders from factory. It is called Alusil. You will gain few hp whit cams if you don't get the head ported and performance valve job made.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-06-2014, 10:59 PM Thread Starter

After pulling the pistons out I can see that the cylinder walls are badly scored and the plating is worn through.

I'm counting the cost/ benefit of boring and replating, 76mm high comp. pistons, gaskets and bearings, & valve job. vs. just finding a good used engine and getting the bike back on the road faster/cheaper.

I know I would really enjoy a 980cc with 13.5:1 compression, but I would probably want bigger cams, ported head, maybe bigger valves, then it would need bigger throttle bodies and then of course it would require a lot of dyno tune time and a custom file... It's fun building horsepower but I have been down this road before with cars and I know it's a money pit and I might end up working on it more than riding it.

Decisions....

-Sly-
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 03-06-2014, 11:56 PM
Global Moderator

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
After pulling the pistons out I can see that the cylinder walls are badly scored and the plating is worn through.

I'm counting the cost/ benefit of boring and replating, 76mm high comp. pistons, gaskets and bearings, & valve job. vs. just finding a good used engine and getting the bike back on the road faster/cheaper.

I know I would really enjoy a 980cc with 13.5:1 compression, but I would probably want bigger cams, ported head, maybe bigger valves, then it would need bigger throttle bodies and then of course it would require a lot of dyno tune time and a custom file... It's fun building horsepower but I have been down this road before with cars and I know it's a money pit and I might end up working on it more than riding it.

Decisions....
You can do the over-size pistons now, then do the headwork if and when you want in the future.
I would definately swap in some 954 throttle bodies though.
You don't need a dyno to tune an engine.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #5 of 12 Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 PM Thread Starter

Can I put 30mm titanium intake valves from a 2009 CBR 1000 in my heads?

-Sly-
post #6 of 12 Old 03-11-2014, 1:00 PM
Global Moderator

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 230

Quote:
Can I put 30mm titanium intake valves from a 2009 CBR 1000 in my heads?

You only have one head.
Probably, but you will want to replace the steel seats with bronze seats, and you might have to machine the head to fit the bigger seats. If the stems are different you will also need to replace the guides. And you will need a steel valve that fits to lap the seats in.
You will probably also have to cut the valves to length and machine the collet grooves to suit.
Only way to know how much is involved is to get one of each and compare them.
Keep in mind though, there is almost zero point in installing ti valves unless you also install the lighter springs.

"I won't forget that ride for a while. Maybe you're right. Living fast might be worth the final crash. Maybe that's the secret you fliers know." - Flight of the Intruder
post #7 of 12 Old 03-11-2014, 1:13 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the the clarification. ;-). Im used to building V8s so saying heads is a habit.
The ti valves stems are the same diameter but I don't know about the length and other critical dimensions. I would be using the springs, retainers and keepers out of the 2009 head. Most of the reason I would bother with it is the 30.5 mm diameter. I am hoping to get more flow to accommodate the displacement of the 980cc. I do understand porting will be nessesary to realize the advantage of the larger valve.

-Sly-
post #8 of 12 Old 03-11-2014, 8:47 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

I am sort of in the same boat as you. I have a 954 with scored cylinder walls and I have decided to just send it out to U.S. Chrome and have them replate the walls and coat the piston skirts and keep the stock displacement. I know when it goes back together that it will be better than factory due to the advancements in plating since 2002, plus the skirts being coated.

To me it came down to what I will be doing with the bike and I did not see the need to get bigger pistons. I am still having some slight head work done just to get some more airflow. But the valves, springs, and cams will be OEM.
post #9 of 12 Old 03-12-2014, 6:05 AM

My head flowed 205hp whit 9.4mm of lift and it has stock valves.
post #10 of 12 Old 03-12-2014, 4:40 PM Thread Starter

On a flow bench, if your heads flowed enough cfm of air to support 205 HP at a certain vacuum, heads that flow enough air to support 220 hp on that same bench will make more HP on the same bike.
It's all a factor of how much air resistance the ports and valves create. So to actually get 205 HP out of your heads you would have to have a can that kept your valves open at 9.4mm for most of the intake duration.
Dont get me wrong. Your heads flow great but I'm just saying, there's more to gain even on a motor that is making 165 HP.

-Sly-
post #11 of 12 Old 03-12-2014, 5:20 PM

Quote:
On a flow bench, if your heads flowed enough cfm of air to support 205 HP at a certain vacuum, heads that flow enough air to support 220 hp on that same bench will make more HP on the same bike.
It's all a factor of how much air resistance the ports and valves create. So to actually get 205 HP out of your heads you would have to have a can that kept your valves open at 9.4mm for most of the intake duration.
Dont get me wrong. Your heads flow great but I'm just saying, there's more to gain even on a motor that is making 165 HP.
I think the intake flow you will gain whit the 30.5mm valve compared to 29mm valve just probably isn't worth all the effort from fitting the valves, springs etc. Stock intake flows 175hp at about 8 mm of lift so there is a pretty decent gain at the airflow. The airflow stops rising above 8 mm of lift on stock. I actually posted somewhere here a chart of my head vs. stock head.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-21-2014, 5:51 PM Thread Starter

Bent one of my exhaust valves cleaning them on a wire wheel. Anyone have an extra exhaust valve out there?

-Sly-

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page