Contemplating investing in my first Blade - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 Old 01-21-2014, 12:16 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

Contemplating investing in my first Blade

I've been riding for a little over 2 years now and gone through a reasonable progression (Honda CBF 125, Kawasaki GPZ 500S, Suzuki SV650S) and now I'm looking to upgrade to something a little more powerful and a little more sporty for this summer track season. I'm stuck between a Honda Fireblade 900RR (1997 model is the one I'm mostly looking at), a Kawasaki ZX6R J1 (2001) and a Honda Fireblade 929 (2001) price wise I've only got around £1700 to spend so can't splash out on the latest and greatest. I'm 6'2" and around 85kg so just want something that is big comfy and I can throw around to my hearts content. I do a lot of miles (around 12k a year) spring to autumn in all conditions except snow and ice. I love the styling of the 929 and that its the most modern Fuel Injected bike of the bunch but have heard mixed reports about reliability, I like the ZX6R as I've got a few friends with ones and they are sound quality bikes on track but cost quite similar to the 929 and I like the old 900RR blades size and styling but of course they are the oldest bike of the lot and while I can fetch a reasonable one quite cheaply it is a slightly dated design and I'm not sure how it will be on track riding with more modern machines (mostly early 2000 models)

Any and all advice would be fantastic

Thanks
Harry
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 01-21-2014, 1:37 PM

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 10

Re: Contemplating investing in my first Blade

I see you did not mention the 954. It is newer than the 929 and has more aggressive styling and some would claim it to be the best blade ever made. It has slightly larger displacement, wheel base, and horsepower. Plus it is about 10 pounds lighter than the 929. It was also the last blade designed by Tadao Baba. And you can probably tell it is my bike of choice and my favorite bike. I picked up my 954 for $1,700 with 10,140 miles and I am working on a complete restoration due to the previous owner's lack of proper care. Once I am done the bike will still be worth more than I put into it and it is a 2002.
post #3 of 12 Old 01-21-2014, 2:11 PM Thread Starter

I would absolutely love a 954 but over here they are simply out of my price range. I don't have a great deal of mechanical knowledge to restore one and the cheapest reasonable condition ones are going for well over the £2500 mark here in the UK.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 01-21-2014, 4:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 77

The 929 will have the most power and be the quickest out of the three by far. The late carbed blade is a fantastic bike though and very easy to work on and a simple design so perfect for a beginner. Still handles great and will be more than enough on track imo

Bike build Vblog latest Update
http://youtu.be/2ISgxtQXs9o

My 900RR Winter Project
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...er-revamp.html
post #5 of 12 Old 01-21-2014, 5:47 PM

I've owned a '96 and '97 blade ('97 still with me). It 's a great bike , simple to work on and not to expencive to buy. There are enough out there in great chape for 1000-1500 pounds.
post #6 of 12 Old 01-22-2014, 3:59 AM

Reputation Power: 13

I had a 929....loved it! Then thought I would save up some money and step "up" to a 07 1000rr. Liked it for sure but it just didnt have as much....character as the 929rr. In the end, sold the 1000rr and got another 929rr, couldnt be happier! I think I actually get more compliments on the 929rr. Its an awesome bike, you cant go wrong with it! Just my 2cents
post #7 of 12 Old 01-22-2014, 4:35 AM Thread Starter

I find the 929 has the worst reviews of all the older blades, but I love the look of them and the owner reviews seem to be 10x better than the magazine and group tests. The old 900rr might be the one to go for, just waiting for my SV to sell then have to see if I can't snatch up a nice yellow one or if I can spare the extra cash then the 929 perhaps. How will I size up with each of the bikes, I'm 6'2 and struggle to find bikes that aren't cramped up or that I look ridiculously large on.

Thanks for the input and I love the project LC!
post #8 of 12 Old 01-22-2014, 4:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Svothe View Post
I find the 929 has the worst reviews of all the older blades, but I love the look of them and the owner reviews seem to be 10x better than the magazine and group tests. The old 900rr might be the one to go for, just waiting for my SV to sell thusen have to see if I can't snatch up a nice yellow one or if I can spare the extra cash then the 929 perhaps. How will I size up with each of the bikes, I'm 6'2 and struggle to find bikes that aren't cramped up or that I look ridiculously large on.

Thanks for the input and I love the project LC!
The reason I would go with the 929 over the 900 is the fuel injection....end of story, why wouldn't you choose that over the constant adjustment/maintenance of carbs? it would be like picking a car with drum brakes over rotors....use what gifts technology has given us
post #9 of 12 Old 01-22-2014, 4:53 AM Thread Starter

Yeah thats the reason I want the 929 mostly Snakeskinner, only ever had one carbed bike and it wasn't the best! I've heard the 929s FI can be a bit temperamental though is that right?
post #10 of 12 Old 01-22-2014, 4:59 AM

Ive personally owned 2 of them (both 2001's) and never once had a bit of problems with the FI, starts fast and runs smooth everytime....
post #11 of 12 Old 01-22-2014, 6:38 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

I'm very biased towards to the old carbureted dogs. Personally, I don't find myself having to adjust anything on them, but CHOOSE to keep fiddling with them, chasing the perfect set up. Riding the bike and draining the carbs during winter down time will more often than not keep the bike starting on the first push of the button. As said before, the original 900rr's are a dream to work on. Not a lot of convoluted electronics, so much documented knowledge and data available (especially on this .org). I wouldn't let fuel injection sway your vote though, go with what you like the most that's most affordable. Either way with the Honda you won't go wrong. I think maybe the Kawi might not have enough midrange for your 6 foot frame, although modern bikes can equal the older stuff in HP nowadays. I might be talked off the fence for a 929 only due to the 17" front wheel. Increasing tire choices. I'm not a fan of Honda's pivotless chassis design, but that's me. You've got a great tough choice to make. It's win win in my opinion. Good luck.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #12 of 12 Old 01-22-2014, 7:35 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the input thus far guys its all great stuff, just need to sell my bike ASAP and see whats still going cheap on the market!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page