01 929rr coming out of storage - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 20 Old 01-24-2014, 1:59 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 6

01 929rr coming out of storage

I put my 929 into storage almost 4 years ago when i PCS'ed to Japan. I am getting ready to head back to the states and am eager to get it back up to scratch.

I'm wondering what I will have to do other than the obvious things like an oil change and new battery and perhaps coolant change. Will the tires still be any good? they where less than a year old bt016's.

I want to start doing some track days soon after returning as well but need to make sure the bike survived hybrination. I was only able to siphen the tank out and disconnect the battery before storage. will I run into any problems like my power commander losing its map or anything due to it being unpowered for so long?

Ive really been missing my blade bad over here and can't wait to ride again soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 01-24-2014, 9:42 AM

Reputation Power: 11

Re: 01 929rr coming out of storage

please dont siphen your tank next time. that is what makes them rust. so check for rust in the tank. you will probably be safe since it was only 4 years. its best to fill them all the way up and and stabilizer.

if your going to do track days.... id replace those tires. gotta be safe. your PC should be fine once you put the new battery in. id flush that brake fluid. and just an over all safety inspection. you wouldnt want to go hard on it and find out a caliper has seized up due to sitting or something like that....

welcome back!
post #3 of 20 Old 01-24-2014, 10:13 AM Thread Starter

i had no choise with the tank because the storage company required it.

hopefully i can do most the work myself
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 01-24-2014, 10:23 AM

Reputation Power: 11

awe... ok. well im sure it will be fine. just see if you can visually inspect the tank with a flashlight or something.... all the other stuff you should be able to do. bleeding the brakes is easier with a buddy who can help... but oil and filter is simple. best of luck! let us know how it goes!!!
post #5 of 20 Old 01-25-2014, 11:17 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 12

Remove plugs and a few drops of oil down the bores, hand turn it over, to get oil moved around, and rings lubed
post #6 of 20 Old 01-25-2014, 7:15 PM Thread Starter

how do you hand turnover the motor? will hand turnover be enough to get oil pumping or should I crank it over with the ignition disabled for 20 seconds or so. also whats the point of putting oil down the bores. all a few drops will do is oil one little spot on the rings wont it?

Thanks for the tips. I really want to get it up and going the right way after such a long sleep. I did start it up and ride it a short distance just over 2 years ago when I went home to collect my family. it will be September when I pull it out of storage.

It has been in my mind a lot more lately since i learned I am PCSing back to the states. Been looking up twisties near possible assignments and really itching to get back in the saddle. I could have brought it to japan with me but the riding season up north is very short and didn't want it to be out in the elements so much.
post #7 of 20 Old 01-27-2014, 12:11 AM Thread Starter

What about the injectors and fuel system. will a couple tanks with injector cleaner do the trick or will I have to get more serious with it. I think I added some fuel stabiliser to it before they came to pick it up but they made me drain as much fuel out of it as i could. At least it was stored out of the elements somewhat in a crate inside a warehouse. how much damage could 2 and a half years do under those conditions?

this is the plan

inspect the fuel tank for rust
replace the coolant with water and water wetter (track prep as well)
replace oil
fresh fuel with injector cleaner
new oil filter
new fuel filter
new battery
new brake fluid
new tires
new brake pads (dependant on wear)
oil down the spark plug holes and let soak overnight

put it into gear and roll it a bit to get the pistons moving then crank it over with the ignition off to get the oil to circulate before starting it up.

is all that neccisary if thre is no corrosion apperant on the bike or in the fuel tank?
post #8 of 20 Old 08-21-2014, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

how can I disable the ignition to crank the bike without it starting on the 929? and is pulling the spark plugs a pain or can it be done in a few minutes?

Last edited by mprhead5; 08-21-2014 at 11:45 PM.
post #9 of 20 Old 08-23-2014, 8:06 AM

Reputation Power: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by mprhead5 View Post
how do you hand turnover the motor? will hand turnover be enough to get oil pumping or should I crank it over with the ignition disabled for 20 seconds or so. also whats the point of putting oil down the bores. all a few drops will do is oil one little spot on the rings wont it?

Thanks for the tips. I really want to get it up and going the right way after such a long sleep. I did start it up and ride it a short distance just over 2 years ago when I went home to collect my family. it will be September when I pull it out of storage.

It has been in my mind a lot more lately since i learned I am PCSing back to the states. Been looking up twisties near possible assignments and really itching to get back in the saddle. I could have brought it to japan with me but the riding season up north is very short and didn't want it to be out in the elements so much.
Shame you didn't because I loved riding the roads near Misawa when I was stationed there.
post #10 of 20 Old 08-23-2014, 9:13 AM

Reputation Power: 26

Quote:
how can I disable the ignition to crank the bike without it starting on the 929? and is pulling the spark plugs a pain or can it be done in a few minutes?
Spark plugs: Have to prop the tank up and take airbox out. It takes a bit of time the first few times you do it. Id say 20 - 25 mins or so all together if you are slow and methodical about it..

Honda CBR 954RR (Leslie)
Suzuki SV650-K2
post #11 of 20 Old 08-23-2014, 10:37 AM Thread Starter

I'm still trying to decide if its important enough to do or not.
post #12 of 20 Old 09-08-2014, 3:16 PM Thread Starter

Got my bike back yesterday!
I checked the fuel tank and its as good as new thank goodness. The bike is still spotless and it was stored with care. I had drained some of the oil out of it before storage so I put a couple quarts of fresh oil in and along with a new battery and fresh fuel with injector cleaner in it and took it for a short spin to get it warmed up. Then I drained the oil and changed it out with Repsol 10w40 and put a new filter on it. the tires still look to be in top shape but I have some Q3's on order for the track day. Going to just take it easy at the track to get used to the bike again. next I am going to pull the upper fairings off and clean everything and replace the coolant with distilled water and water wetter. I've also got new front brake pads and SS front lines coming along with all my new track gear. Going to take it to big willow next month. need to try and safety wire some of the bits but need my drill first to get some attach points but it and most my tools are still being shipped
Attached Thumbnails
929rr.jpg‎  
post #13 of 20 Old 09-08-2014, 4:37 PM

Reputation Power: 7

Garage

Seafoam the tank, check for tire rot, and what everyone else has said. Enjoy and cant wait to see it out and about

Kevin
2001 Honda CBR 929rr Repsol Edition (Arielle)
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...back-life.html
post #14 of 20 Old 09-09-2014, 12:09 AM Thread Starter

tires look to be in tip top shape. Still I will replace them before my first track day next month for the piece of mind. I don't want the question of 4 year old tires to be haunting me while I'm trying to hustle around the fastest road in the west.
post #15 of 20 Old 09-09-2014, 8:22 AM

Reputation Power: 7

Garage

Quote:
tires look to be in tip top shape. Still I will replace them before my first track day next month for the piece of mind. I don't want the question of 4 year old tires to be haunting me while I'm trying to hustle around the fastest road in the west.

Kevin
2001 Honda CBR 929rr Repsol Edition (Arielle)
https://www.fireblades.org/forums/hon...back-life.html

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page