929 Steering Damper ?????? - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 01-28-2014, 2:24 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

929 Steering Damper ??????

So I've been back and forth reviewing and researching dampers for my bike. My aggressive riding style (Not all the time) has my doing the "handle bar dance" more times than I would like to .

I know a damper will help the situation from what I've read about the 929 doing this.

What dampers have you gents had luck with is my question.

Damper that mounts at the tree? Or a pushrod type common from Ohlins? Price is not an issue to me really so I'm more interested in What brand and which style will show the best results.

Any input will be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-28-2014, 5:42 PM

Re: 929 Steering Damper ??????

omarztaco,

I have a 2001 929 that I just acquired a few months ago. It's winter here where I live. So, I haven't really had a chance to ride it much, yet. But in anticipation of having the head shaking the 929 seems to be famous for, I installed a Scotts damper. I did a lot of research on-line before making Scotts the choice. The GPR seems to get okay ratings, too; but a number of riders reported oil leak problems with the GPR. The Scotts also has adjustments for low speed, high speed and total swing.

We had a warmer day last week and I got the bike out for a couple of hours. I don't really know how the bike would have handled without the damper, but I can say that the Scotts seemed to work really well. I also have a CBR 600 F4i and the 929 felt more stable than the 600. So much so, that I ordered another damper for the 600.

The Scotts is also a very easy install. It takes about a half an hour. These things are expensive, but seem a quality product. I know not much help; just giving my two cents. I am happy with the Scotts.

The spirit never dies....
post #3 of 7 Old 01-28-2014, 6:57 PM

Reputation Power: 6

been doing a lot of research on this recently. Scotts or other rotary type seems to be the best. Rod types can sieze (even the top end ones) and possibly cause accidents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-01-2014, 9:05 PM

i'll put a thumbs up for the GPR units...i've had a leak free one on my 929 since 2010 and it has worked flawlessly. One of the best investments you can make imho..Pricy, yes. But so are hospital bills and funerals lol. All kidding aside, i love mine!

post #5 of 7 Old 02-06-2014, 11:21 PM

Reputation Power: 16

I got a GPR after my first tankslapper on my 929. It has saved me plenty of skin and parts. I highly recommend one. Very easy to install and for sure works.
post #6 of 7 Old 02-07-2014, 2:45 AM

I have a Sprint damper on my 900RRW. Works well and the factory offer technical support and servicing. Here is a link (no affiliation): Sprint SXC Steering Damper Kits
post #7 of 7 Old 02-11-2014, 10:45 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)

Send a message via Yahoo to Nitro_41

I've got a Scott's on my RC-51, and will be getting one for the 929 as well. I like the rotary style over the push rod style, I feel they are a little easier to adjust on the fly

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page