900rr suspension question - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 Old 02-02-2014, 7:26 PM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 0

900rr suspension question

Hey all,

I just picked myself up a 1995 900rrs and had a question regarding the suspension adjustment.

I'm coming off of a harley so adjusting a suspension was never really something i cared about (my bike is slammed all the way down haha).

I know that the stock suspension is quite adjustable and I need to know if this is something that the average joe can accomplish at home or is this something better left to professionals. I want to make sure I am getting the most out of this bike and I know this is probably the first step toward that.

Just looking for some feedback from you guys.

Also, If you know of anyone in the Connecticut area that adjusts suspensions I'd definitely appreciate anyone pointing me in the right direction.

Thanks guys,

Carl
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 02-04-2014, 4:05 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

Re: 900rr suspension question

Hey mate,
I did my 97 suspension and would recommend stripping and re greasing before you look at setting it up if your trying to get it right. I found my rear linkages pretty dry and stiff and the factory shock in need of a rebuild, the gas looses pressure over time and ends up pretty soft. Also my front fork oil didnt look like it had been touched in about 15 years.

When i got the front rebuilt i got Ketch internals fitted but went with just a stock rear shock. The front ends great , the rear is fine , you notice it lags a bit when you push it but is still a good shock.There is plenty of good stuff on the net and if you set it up and work it out for yourself with trial and error your understanding of it is gonna be better long term with adjusting it just how you like it.
post #3 of 7 Old 02-04-2014, 5:36 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the input, Mike. Do you feel as though this is a job that a decently competent guy can do in his garage? Or do you feel that disassembling the fork and removing rear shock is better left to a pro?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 02-04-2014, 5:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)

My view is get them over hauled by the pros, its not done often and needs to be right. Once done try setting it up yourself, i just took my forks off and shock off and dropped them in while i stripped and lubed the linkages, steering head and swingarm.

Also if you get the shop to do it they should be able to upgrade them for you, racetech ,ktech or ohlins depending on your budget but new tech in the suspension does wonders on the almost 20yr old tech in there.

As for where, i cant help with that, im in the mighty New Zealand on the other side of the world. Hope this helps
post #5 of 7 Old 02-06-2014, 12:53 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Removing the rear shock is no problem, just make preparations to keep the swing arm from bottoming out. Same with the forks. It all comes out easy enough, just prepare to have an apparatus hold the rest of the bike. Freshening up the forks with new seals,bushings, and oil is easy enough for the DIYer, just get a good manual to follow. I have used Lindemann in the past for suspension set up. Correct spring rates, oil, and set up for rider weight. Race tech is also a good company to use. Both you will be sending the suspension out to them. I don't know of any shop local in CT that does what they do, but if your looking to do just an oil change in the forks it's a job I'm sure you could handle. The shock will still require outside labor to refurbish. I'm in central CT, which is to say not too far from anywhere in the state. And I have plenty of experience with the older RR's. I also have access to a dealer where I used to work, and they love all aspects of motorcycling. I would start with a factory Honda manual from fleabay and go from there. In the meantime if you need copies of anything I can email them to you. Good luck.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #6 of 7 Old 02-06-2014, 1:26 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the help Ian! Sent you a pm.
post #7 of 7 Old 02-06-2014, 8:34 PM

This is some info I got from another CBR site. It's a good starting point.

cbr 900rr-t/v

front

comp...........................................1/2 turn out
rebound........................................1 turn out
preload/sag...................................1 line showing

rear

comp.............................................1/2 turn out
rebound.........................................1/2 turn out
preload/sag....................................position 6 of 7

additional..............5mm of fork leg above the top clamp excludind fork cap/2mm for road

cbr 900rr-w

front

comp.........................................1-1/4 turns out
rebound.....................................1 turn out
preload/sag................................3 lines (12mm of adjuster showing) static sag: 31mm

rear

comp.........................................1/4 turn out
rebound.....................................1/2 turn out
preload/sag................................position 4 of 7, position 3 with a pasenger or if you weigh more than 190

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Tags
900rr , adjust , damper , preload , suspension

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page