Rearsets for 929 suggestions/advice needed - Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org
Honda FireBlade Discussion of the Honda CBR 900RR, Honda CBR 929RR, Honda CBR 954RR, and Honda CBR 1000RR Motorcycles.

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 Old 02-06-2014, 10:27 AM Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 11

Rearsets for 929 suggestions/advice needed

ok guys, here is what im looking to do. I want to put some NICE aftermarket rearsets on my 929. I want a set that are high quality, give me the option of reverse shifting AND still keep the rear brake light. Im not sure why Satos dont let you keep the rear light because when im stopped at a light i use the back brake for parking and to alert oncoming traffic that im stopped.

satos would have been my first choice except for this. i heard you can adapt them to use the rear light but i would prefer a simple bolt up with limited hassle. also im not aware of too many companies offering rearsets for my OLD 929.

give me some help here! thanks so very much in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 02-06-2014, 10:29 AM Thread Starter

Re: Rearsets for 929 suggestions/advice needed

ALSO.... my plan to was to install a PC quickshifter with these rearsets.... any problems that i could run into doing this with any particular brand of rearsets? thanks so much fellas!
post #3 of 22 Old 02-06-2014, 10:32 AM Thread Starter

well now i see sato lists a brake light switch is included... not sure what that involves. i might give them a call.

any idea where the best price on these would be? thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 02-06-2014, 9:11 PM

Reputation Power: 31

I picked up Attack for mine. Years ago though so not sure what they offer now. Happy with them although they do or at the time did not offer a rear tail light. Which was fine as I do use the rear brake I know the front is also in the works and a tail light is on.
post #5 of 22 Old 02-06-2014, 11:04 PM

Reputation Power: 16

Most rearsets that change the rear brake switch change to a pressure activated switch. It will either replace the banjo bolt that goes into the rear master cylinder orreplace a crush washer at the banjo bolt. It will require that you remove the banjo bolt either way. Since you have to remove the bolt it is a good time to change your brake fluid and bleed the system. The switch will have two wires and probably not the same connector that your bike uses. You will have to cut and spice or use another connector. It is a pretty simple wiring job. It does not matter which wire goes to what pin on the factory connector. If you wish to retain your factory connector you could just "T" tap into the wires on the bike side of the connector. If you wish to add a connection for easy removal you can use simple spade connector available almost anywhere. If you use spade connectors apply a little bit of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. You could also use a weather pack connector but it will cost more and requires special crimpers. The crimpers are a fairly cheap tool and once you have them you are good to go for future connections you may want to change or make.
As far as what reasets to use. I just purchased a set from ebay. Some of the $150 china specials. They are actually very nice and seem like good quality. They will not allow GP shifting. They do include a brake light switch. Other than being cool, why do you want to GP shift anyways?
post #6 of 22 Old 02-07-2014, 9:21 AM Thread Starter

thanks for all the info! ive just ALWAYS had gp shifting since i was 18. im 40 now. just seems like gear changes are more firm plus netrual is WAY easier to find for some dumb reason. idk... just always perfered it. before i knew what it was called i was doing it. idk... im weird maybe! ha ha. i was wondering how those ebay ones were... i got some cheap shorty levers that are GREAT. and much cheaper of course. Satos.... are freaking 500 bills. seems high but i might just have to bite the bullet. get those on... see if i need a push or pull quickshifter and then order that. i know factory rearsets use a push type quickshifter but since i dont know exactly how the linkage is on satos.. i prob will wait till i get them in so i know for sure..

i wish i could find a discount price on some satos... everyone seems to sell them for msrp.

oh the rear brake fluid is brand new because i put Core braided lines on late last summer. brake lines make a HUGE difference. not really needed for the rear..... but they sure do look good.
post #7 of 22 Old 02-07-2014, 11:57 AM

Year old brake fluid, by some, is not considered new.
post #8 of 22 Old 02-07-2014, 12:31 PM

I haven't really tried it yet but you may be able to set up the cheap ebay ones for gp shift since you seem to really want it. I will try and look at it later today for you and see if it is possible.
post #9 of 22 Old 02-07-2014, 1:06 PM Thread Starter

Thanks buddy! i appreciate it! be safe out there my friend.
post #10 of 22 Old 02-07-2014, 1:50 PM

Cant do much to be dangerous. Hobling around on a broken ankle!
post #11 of 22 Old 02-08-2014, 6:09 PM

No GP with the ones I got.
post #12 of 22 Old 02-08-2014, 10:00 PM

Reputation Power: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by zfrilly3 View Post
No GP with the ones I got.
I've never ridden with the GP pattern and never had felt that I needed it. And I'm still not sure, I see the benefit of being laid all the way upshifting but I always thought that I get along fine without. Any input from those that changed over?
post #13 of 22 Old 02-08-2014, 11:02 PM
President: Team Full Chat

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Tagged: 4 Thread(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Reputation Power: 102

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERION929 View Post
I've never ridden with the GP pattern and never had felt that I needed it. And I'm still not sure, I see the benefit of being laid all the way upshifting but I always thought that I get along fine without. Any input from those that changed over?
I've ridden GP shift forever. Since 1992. When I owned my original 600 Hurricane all I did was flip the link on the shift shaft 180 degrees. Boom, GP shift. If people remember, the 93-94 900's only had a lever come off the shift shaft, no linkage. My original build 900 got it when the Chafong rearsets were added, as it came with all the linkage hardware. Also on the 900 a small section of the fairing needed to be cut out to accommodate the linkage. On my current 93 I fitted 95 hardware to get the GP shift. I love stomping on the lever for up shifts. And it's a great excuse to not let your "buddy" ride your bike!

I'm curious to know why the GP shift doesn't work for you Zfrilly3? If the rear sets have a linkage it should work.

My 99 900RR Track Build Link:Track Build 900RRX

My Red Rocker 93 Build Link: Café 900RRP
post #14 of 22 Old 02-09-2014, 4:20 PM

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)

I don't remember anybody ellse then Gilles and Arata having the possibility to change the pattern. Valter Moto allso maybe made a set but not sure about it.
post #15 of 22 Old 02-10-2014, 2:54 AM

If you flip the part that mounts to the shift rod 180 deg it makes the linkage rod hit the mount for the swing arm. I know that an easy to change a 929/954 it remove the linkage and just use a VFR (not sure year) sifter bolted directly to the shift rod. Problem may be that if you move the rearset too far away you can't move the shifter as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org > Honda Motorcycle Models > Honda FireBlade

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Honda Motorcycles - FireBlades.org forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
A valid e-mail address is REQUIRED. You will not have access to any site features until you activate your account using the activation e-mail that is sent to this address.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page